Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

I went on CC during the weekend and felt hopeless, seriously. All those amazing kids with super impressive resumes and can't get into top schools. They are superhuman kids! They win awards, establish companies, build homes for orphans, etc. One kid said that all his work during the last 4 years was wasted. That's really sad. These are just kids with a wonderful future ahead no matter where they go, but it seems to them everything rides on getting accepted to certain colleges. And of course, now that I know how competitive it is, I don't want to fall into the same trap.

It just feels healthier here.

I quibble with the kid's thought that his work was wasted. I mean if he built a home for orphans🙄, it still exists, no?

(I'm not arguring with you, obv)

• Like 6

They are superhuman kids! They win awards, establish companies, build homes for orphans, etc. One kid said that all his work during the last 4 years was wasted. That's really sad. These are just kids with a wonderful future ahead no matter where they go, but it seems to them everything rides on getting accepted to certain colleges. And of course, now that I know how competitive it is, I don't want to fall into the same trap.

It just feels healthier here.

ETA: and they have almost perfect SAT scores and above 4.0 GPA, so I guess stats don't matter that much when everyone else has the same stats.

Just rambling questions here with no real experience or wisdom to share ... if what they did was "wasted" because they didn't get into their dream school, do you think admissions is beginning to see through the kids who do so much but their end goal isn't the orphanage, the company, etc?  Their only motivation is to look good on paper?  I just wonder if that isn't part of the issue?  Again, I have no real answers, just lots of questions  :mellow:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 8

Just rambling questions here with no real experience or wisdom to share ... if what they did was "wasted" because they didn't get into their dream school, do you think admissions is beginning to see through the kids who do so much but their end goal isn't the orphanage, the company, etc? Their only motivation is to look good on paper? I just wonder if that isn't part of the issue? Again, I have no real answers, just lots of questions :mellow:

I like the rambling, makes me feel better, that this is all confusing and stressful, but we'll laugh at ourselves 30 years later (you guys better still be here at that time).

Oh, and now I have to figure out how DD will change the world by 17 yo because her love of books and languages won't cut it.

• Like 5

I like the rambling, makes me feel better, that this is all confusing and stressful, but we'll laugh at ourselves 30 years later (you guys better still be here at that time).

Oh, and now I have to figure out how DD will change the world by 17 yo because her love of books and languages won't cut it.

DD's entire essay was on her love of books.  She is an excellent writer  (I am not, haha) and her approach was unique but she didn't write about feeding a third world country or starting an orphanage.  She is not a minority, if that matters?  She is a very genuine kid, even though she has very high test scores and grade, overall her list is no where near as dazzling as the stuff I saw on CC.  I just don't understand it.   :crying:

• Like 9

DD's entire essay was on her love of books. She is an excellent writer (I am not, haha) and her approach was unique but she didn't write about feeding a third world country or starting an orphanage. She is not a minority, if that matters? She is a very genuine kid, even though she has very high test scores and grade, overall her list is no where near as dazzling as the stuff I saw on CC. I just don't understand it. :crying:

I think authenticity is a rare commodity these days.

My kid does those splash programs and I attended the concurrent session for parents. Ad coms talk to each other, and know what the manufactured extracurricular du jour is.

It's far too early for me to be this cynical, but here we are.

• Like 11

I don't know about that. A love of literature and languages worked well for my Dd. She presented authentic her. I laughed at one interview weekend we went to. At dinner we were sitting with an admission's officer and 2 other students and their parents. The admission's officer what they really enjoyed outside of school. 1 said theater and the other said sports. Dd?? She said curling up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate or going down and watching the sunset over the bay. Yep. That is the real her!

ETA: I didn't see Attolia's answer before I posted. Our dd's sound very similar. My dd's essays were all very literary and full of allusions. She even pointed out to me how she had incorporated internal rhyme. Yep, words are definitely a pure love for her!

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 12

That's my kid too. I think they will be ok â¤ï¸
  • Like 5

Oh, so fun to read all the great news here today. I am following closely, eager to see where everyone chooses to go!

I love CC :-) It's a great source of information. You can't get too caught up in the comparison game though :-)

• Like 3

My dd texts me frequently, "Get off of CC!!! They are all just stressed, super competitive kids who don't know any more about admissions that we do!".  And do I listen to her? No. 

• Like 7

YES!  I saw that on Furman's thread too.  I was peeking over there for something else and saw that someone was deferred with a 35 (Furman's ACT range is like 26-30 so they were applying as a safety).  I felt immediately overwhelmed, like always, and left ASAP.  Crazy right?  The kids there made me feel like dd couldn't get into community college  :huh:

Pardon me for being dense but why would you think this when your child has had multiple acceptances? Acceptances which include some selective schools? 

• Like 2

Pardon me for being dense but why would you think this when your child has had multiple acceptances? Acceptances which include some selective schools?

I guess my response wasn't clear - that was BEFORE she got acceptances. I peeked there and CC was making me feel stressed.

• Like 4

My dd texts me frequently, "Get off of CC!!! They are all just stressed, super competitive kids who don't know any more about admissions that we do!". And do I listen to her? No.

:)

I don't read the kids' threads for the most part. I have gained some valuable insight into parts of the application process from CC. I think if you can learn which threads to read and filter through the posters who live in a completely world, you can learn a lot. A second reader for an Ivy read my counselor letter for me and encouraged me to leave it the completely personal commentary that it was. I took a completely different approach this time through,and I am glad I did. People there can be super helpful if you can spend enough time to figure out whose advice you appreciate!

• Like 8

I wanted to say this for a while, but couldn't find a right thread or place so far. Since we are talking about CC, I'd like to express my gratitude for this forum. 

I understand that many of you are long timers in this forum.  As for me, even though I knew about this site, it took a long time to actually register myself here. Maybe it's got to be with the fact that we don't have cable and don't have a social media account. Knowing too much what is going on or putting myself out there scares me to death. After all, we are homeschoolers and supposed to be antisocial, right? :laugh: My first motivation to join was to get some information about college admission procedure for my then-rising-senior DS. It was very recent that I started actually post things and I shyly admit that I did it to get out of "larvae" status. (Hope you all understand. We all have been a "larvae" once.)

Now I realize that this forum gave me more than I asked for. Especially through this strenuous college admission process, this place has been my source of information, personal space to vent my frustration, and exit for all of my emotions. We kept all about college application to ourselves. So far how many school my DS was accepted or rejected, I didn't share with anybody outside of family. Not even with my church friends. When people asked us about what is going on, we would say that when all results are in, we will gladly share. I did it to keep our sanity and lower anxiety level as much as possible. And of course there were expectation and/ or rivalry(?) issue.  But this emotional roller coaster ride wasn't an easy thing to hold within myself. I found myself coming to this place everyday, read about other people's life and often left with the bigger picture.

All of you helped me tremendously to ease the pain-if there is any- through this time and give me good cheers so I can go on. So thank you!

p.s) Hope you understand what I am saying. I have DS6 next me doodling on his math book now. Gotta go. 

• Like 17

Now I realize that this forum gave me more than I asked for.

[...]

All of you helped me tremendously to ease the pain-if there is any- through this time and give me good cheers so I can go on. So thank you!

p.s) Hope you understand what I am saying. I have DS6 next me doodling on his math book now. Gotta go. 

:iagree:

I think many of us come here for the information and stay for the community. :001_wub:

I have just one so I'm basically almost done...but my fingers and my heart have muscle memory...they keep pulling me back here whenever I have a few moments of down time.

I will never be able to thank all of you personally...too many of you here who have reached out and held my hand virtually. And I'm not only referring to veterans. There are many with younger kids too who have answered questions either directly or via PM and walked me through some rough spots.

CC is helpful I am sure. But my village is here.

• Like 18

I don't like CC. Not at all. I think (maybe) there's a hint of helpful stuff on the parents' forum. But I tend to think a lot of the postings by kids are trolling or outright lying. But I wrote that forum off when DS21 was on the college hunt, so it's certainly possible the tone has changed since then. It was such a waste of time (IMO) that I never once went there while DS18 was looking.

• Like 3

:)

I don't read the kids' threads for the most part. I have gained some valuable insight into parts of the application process from CC. I think if you can learn which threads to read and filter through the posters who live in a completely world, you can learn a lot

Which threads do you read?  There are so many and they go on for 10+ pages!  

• Like 1

:iagree:

I think many of us come here for the information and stay for the community. :001_wub:

I have just one so I'm basically almost done...but my fingers and my heart have muscle memory...they keep pulling me back here whenever I have a few moments of down time.

I will never be able to thank all of you personally...too many of you here who have reached out and held my hand virtually. And I'm not only referring to veterans. There are many with younger kids too who have answered questions either directly or via PM and walked me through some rough spots.

CC is helpful I am sure. But my village is here.

Heck, I've been done homeschooling since spring of 2012 and I'm still here.  I do keep getting thoughts that I'm probably well past my time here since there's not much I can add about curricula anymore, etc, but the community aspect is powerful.  I enjoy seeing what my extended family is doing.

• Like 11

...my village is here.

Very true!  My daughter finished homeschooling in 2009 and graduated from college in 2013, but I'm still here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Very true!  My daughter finished homeschooling in 2009 and graduated from college in 2013, but I'm still here.

Regards,

Kareni

It's good to know I have company... and that I'm not the longest post-homeschooling mom out there.

• Like 9

Which threads do you read?  There are so many and they go on for 10+ pages!  

I'm not "8", but I agree with her that I stay away from the kids' threads. The useful threads are in the parent forums. The "Class of 20xx" threads are generally filled with knowledgeable parents. Their kids do tend to be high achieving, but that is not always the case. The financial aid forum has useful posts, as does the "college admissions" and "search and selection" forums. You do have to skim for what is useful for you, and I am generally using the info I get there as a jumping off place for finding more information.

• Like 7

I would be tempted to write off a lot of them as lying if we hadn't met kids who actually were doing all these things! And some of them were really nice kids to boot! But they were all extremely stressed their entire four years.

• Like 5

Regarding CC- I stay away from most of the site, but the Athletic Recruit sub-forum was a huge asset to me this application cycle.  The advice I received on that forum was extremely accurate.  If you have a child who plans on playing a sport in college, I highly recommend reading through the Athletic Recruit forum.

• Like 6

I would be tempted to write off a lot of them as lying if we hadn't met kids who actually were doing all these things! And some of them were really nice kids to boot! But they were all extremely stressed their entire four years.

I've overheard students discussing the lies they sent admissions officers... not to mention that trolling is a past-time for some people.

Are they all lying? Of course not. Are they all telling the truth? I doubt it. 

I know and admire many local teens that are doing extraordinary things and who are attending the schools that many students dream of. I still take CC with the proverbial grain of salt. It's impossible to see the whole picture on a message board.

I've also seen stress take a terrible toll on some local students. So very sad...

Watching the stress level on CC is enough to give me pause...

• Like 8

I'm not "8", but I agree with her that I stay away from the kids' threads. The useful threads are in the parent forums. The "Class of 20xx" threads are generally filled with knowledgeable parents. Their kids do tend to be high achieving, but that is not always the case. The financial aid forum has useful posts, as does the "college admissions" and "search and selection" forums. You do have to skim for what is useful for you, and I am generally using the info I get there as a jumping off place for finding more information.

This is my approach as well. It was on CC that I learned our ds would have to pay taxes at the kiddie tax rate on his scholarship $$ beyond tuition and QEEs. Their FA forum can be very helpful. One poster is actually a FA officer and she is incredibly helpful for people with complicated issues.

The admissions and search and selection forums, I am very selective about what I read. Reading through those threads, though, made me very aware of schools that I knew my Dd would not want to attend. Knowing where not to apply can be as helful as knowing where to apply. :) It also helps to understand where your student does fit into the accepted student profile, especially if your student will be applying for competitive merit aid as the sole means of being able to afford a school. Acceptance in that case is only a single factor. Reading the profiles of kids who have been awarded various scholarships can be quite helpful (as well as the comments of parents.) For example, it was on CC that I read that essays were going to be extremely (major emphasis) important for McNair consideration at USCarolina. Definitely not essays to just crank out.

The parents of 20xx threads have their own feel. I like the 2017 thread, but I won't read the 2020 thread. The parents on 2017 tend to be very down to earth and supportive. The 2020 parents are over the top competitive.

Pick and choose. Fwiw, there are posters whose posts I have learned to ignore and then there are posters who I make a point to read. I read to become informed, but I completely ignore the vast majority of posts.

• Like 7

Fwiw, I would NOT want my kids reading CC at all. It would be stress-inducing for them. It was for me when I first started reading until I figured out how to use the site for what I wanted. Now I just ignore the stuff that is meaningless. :)

• Like 4

I've overheard students discussing the lies they sent admissions officers... not to mention that trolling is a past-time for some people.

Are they all lying? Of course not. Are they all telling the truth? I doubt it.

I know and admire many local teens that are doing extraordinary things and who are attending the schools that many students dream of. I still take CC with the proverbial grain of salt. It's impossible to see the whole picture on a message board.

I've also seen stress take a terrible toll on some local students. So very sad...

Watching the stress level on CC is enough to give me pause...

Another bunny trail, I know ... but I've often wondered if some kids aren't being honest and how do admissions officers know? They don't have the time to fact check kids. Do you think some kids are lying their way into top schools?

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

Fwiw, I would NOT want my kids reading CC at all. It would be stress-inducing for them. It was for me when I first started reading until I figured out how to use the site for what I wanted. Now I just ignore the stuff that is meaningless. :)

I didn't have my boys on the site either - except to answer specific questions AFTER they were students at their respective colleges.  Then I figured they have/had better insight than I do about their schools.  They also use my account and identify themselves as my kiddos.

I don't get on cc all that much any longer.  That one has more or less dropped off my radar even though the Hive has stayed.

• Like 1

ETA: responding to Attolia...

I've often wondered the same thing...

Not to mention that sometimes reality is quite different from the image a well-written description conjures up. Someone on the WTM board once wrote a brilliant post giving two different versions of how their student spent an average day. Neither description was a lie. It was powerful to see the difference that word choices made. It's sobering to realize decisions are based partially on how everything is packaged. In some ways, colleges are judging the book by its cover. I've seen some pretty usual, mundane activities be transformed into amazing accomplishments with nary a lie.

Again, not that there aren't any amazing accomplishments. I just tend to be rather jaded and cynical by default...

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 5

Dd is already a freshman, but she's applied to transfer, and just found out she got in to UMass Amherst. :)

(And yes, they tried to tell her she needed to take the GED.  :glare:   Even though she's completed a full year of 4-year college (w/ a 4.0 so far) and had a ton of DE credits as well.  I had to remind them they changed their official homeschooler policy last year and said 27 DE credits would be considered 'proof of graduation' in lieu of a GED.  Somehow the Transfer office hadn't changed their policy to align with Freshman admissions.  I got them to fix that).

Go Matryoshka!!!

Nan

• Like 2

Not to mention that sometimes reality is quite different from the image a well-written description conjures up. Someone on the WTM board once wrote a brilliant post giving two different versions of how their student spent an average day. Neither description was a lie. It was powerful to see the difference that word choices made. It's sobering to realize decisions are based partially on how everything is packaged. In some ways, colleges are judging the book by its cover. I've seen some pretty usual, mundane activities be transformed into amazing accomplishments with nary a lie.

Again, not that there aren't any amazing accomplishments. I just tend to be rather jaded and cynical by default...

Yeah, if you read the thread about parents paying between $9000 and $25,000 for college admissions counseling, you realize just how much how "packaging" can impact acceptances. 

• Like 5

All of our college decisions are in - glad to be joining this distinguished company!  :coolgleamA:  We still have one round of interviews for competitive scholarships, but here's the list so far:

Old Dominion University - Honors College, Presidential Scholarship, Big Blue Scholarship

Virginia Commonwealth University - Honors College, Presidential Scholar (full-ride)

William & Mary - Monroe Scholar

University of Virginia - Echols Scholar

And we also received word this week that she was awarded one of the $2500 National Merit Scholarships! :party: Nearing the finish line....

• Like 29

I call it a skeptic.  I tend to be a skeptic as well so welcome to my party  :lol:

• Like 2

I wanted to say this for a while, but couldn't find a right thread or place so far. Since we are talking about CC, I'd like to express my gratitude for this forum. 

I feel very much the same way.  I can't talk to people about this stuff in real life.  I need ya'll  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

All of our college decisions are in - glad to be joining this distinguished company!  :coolgleamA:  We still have one round of interviews for competitive scholarships, but here's the list so far:

Old Dominion University - Honors College, Presidential Scholarship, Big Blue Scholarship

Virginia Commonwealth University - Honors College, Presidential Scholar (full-ride)

William & Mary - Monroe Scholar

University of Virginia - Echols Scholar

And we also received word this week that she was awarded one of the $2500 National Merit Scholarships! :party: Nearing the finish line....

:party:

The result is in. DS is going to Harvard! :crying:  :crying:  :crying:

So, so excited.

DD isn't home and I am being a good mama and not checking her decisions that just came out  :crying:  Someone needs to tie my hands.   :lol:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

Yay Job!!!! That is fantastic!!! Way to go!!!

DS is in at Columbia as a Kluge Scholar. Not sure what that means.

Rejected everywhere else, but waitlisted at Penn. That was a bit of a surprise, as he has been taking classes there for two years and is there at this moment for a Penn club he started. :-)

Congratulations everyone! This has sure been a fun ride with you all!!

• Like 24

DS is in at Columbia as a Kluge Scholar. Not sure what that means.

I am SOOOOOO excited for y'all   :thumbup:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

We have some pretty awesome kids and parents on this board. So proud to be among this group.

Best wishes for those still waiting on decisions!

• Like 5

DD isn't home and I am being a good mama and not checking her decisions that just came out :crying: Someone needs to tie my hands. :lol:

Surely that deserves major mom awards!!

• Like 2

Surely that deserves major mom awards!!

I am not a patient person so I definitely need a prize  :lol:

• Like 2

This has sure been a fun ride with you all!!

:iagree:  Which I am not planning to take any time soon!

• Like 2

I am not a patient person so I definitely need a prize :lol:

My suggestions are (in no particular order): chocolate, ice cream, or wine. Or all of the above!

EVERYONE on this thread deserves prizes! You have done amazing jobs raising your children! Homeschooling takes extreme dedication, and your devotion to your children has reaped huge benefits to them. Academically, yes, but also in many other ways! Happy for all! The college admissions process is NOT for sissies! It's long and grueling. I often said that I got through it with Jack and Jesus. ;)

• Like 6

Job, we have another one graduating next year. Going on a college trip a few days after admitted students day at Carnegie Mellon. Help.

• Like 3

Waitlisted at Yale and Brown...our last two decisions.  :thumbup1:

Honestly, I am a little glad her list got narrowed down.  She wasn't the kid who was dead set on an Ivy.  Her heart isn't broken by any means.

She found out today that she has a merit scholarship to Wake  :hurray:

I still don't know how she is going to decide between the schools she has on her list (all with merit aid).  She is very, very blessed to have the choices she does. 

:001_tt1:

• Like 19

Amazing! To be waitlisted is still amazing! Congrats to your dd. How will she make her decision? Yikes.

I have no idea! I'm hoping it won't be too grueling :/

• Like 1