Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

In at Carnegie Mellon! Not sure about aid yet.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: alternating with fist pumps and woohoo's ala Homer Simpson. :laugh:

So glad he has more choices!

• Like 2

Did I miss a post about whether your ds got the Rochester scholarship or have you not gotten that info yet?  Does your ds have more decisions coming?  So exciting :)

• Like 1

Dd is already a freshman, but she's applied to transfer, and just found out she got in to UMass Amherst. :)

(And yes, they tried to tell her she needed to take the GED.  :glare:   Even though she's completed a full year of 4-year college (w/ a 4.0 so far) and had a ton of DE credits as well.  I had to remind them they changed their official homeschooler policy last year and said 27 DE credits would be considered 'proof of graduation' in lieu of a GED.  Somehow the Transfer office hadn't changed their policy to align with Freshman admissions.  I got them to fix that).

• Like 26

Did I miss a post about whether your ds got the Rochester scholarship or have you not gotten that info yet?  Does your ds have more decisions coming?  So exciting :)

Thanks for asking!  Yes, I did update. :)  DS is on the waitlist for the Handler, but received another scholarship.  The letter we received the other day said that they will notify financial aid of the scholarship.  I'm a bit confused, though, because if added to the current grants, it is above the cost of everything.  We'll see what can stack and what cannot.

Attolia - I am thrilled for you and your dd!  Doing the happy dance for all of the great news here!   :party:

• Like 5

Thanks for asking!  Yes, I did update. :)  DS is on the waitlist for the Handler, but received another scholarship.  The letter we received the other day said that they will notify financial aid of the scholarship.  I'm a bit confused, though, because if added to the current grants, it is above the cost of everything.  We'll see what can stack and what cannot.

Attolia - I am thrilled for you and your dd!  Doing the happy dance for all of the great news here!   :party:

All of dd's schools so far have replaced grants with the merit aid. Most removed her loan first and then replaced the grant so that was great.  I think some will remove work study and loan and then remove from grants/need aid?  It doesn't hurt to ask  :thumbup1:  Good luck.  Maybe he will get Handler.  My brother got a full ride scholarship from a waitlist, so you never know :)

• Like 3

Congratulations!  My dd just returned from a college tour that included a trip to CMU.  (It also included a fairly hilarious interaction with a weirdly over-the-top brown nosing applicant.)

Compared to the other schools she's seen, CMU seems like a really good fit for her.  What school did your student apply to?  What about his application do you think impressed the committee?  

• Like 2

This is what he seems to be finding among those he knows who get into med school (from his school).  They don't have to be nearly as accomplished.  They need to have hooks.  One of those is having doctors in the family.  Another is a good backstory.  He has neither.

He is still 100% contemplating his options.  He presented us with several ideas this past week (after getting that second waitlist rather than an acceptance).  We'll support him with any of them, of course.

Creekland:  I wanted to reach out and encourage your ds to apply again next year.  I know so many people who have taken roundabout ways to med school.  I didn't apply until I was out of college for 2 years.  A good friend of mine applied after she was out of college for one year.  I worked with a guy who trained for 3 years to be surgeon, before dropping that and retraining as an ER doc.  I'm not even sure he practices medicine now anyway.  My own brother trained as a pediatrician, then decided he wanted to be a pathologist instead, so he trained again for that.  Another friend (wow, I seem to know a lot of doctors) trained in an MSTP program and didn't even enter academia, just private practice.  

He can spend this year continuing his research, building up some more interesting experiences (as if he needs any!), and reapply, minus the bad advice he received.  

• Like 7

I worked under a resident who used work in the diamond district before deciding to become a surgeon.  Another colleague worked as an engineer before going to med school.  I have another friend who only went to med school after doing some other job I can't remember now but it was definitely completely unrelated to medicine.  

ETA:  I know another guy who trained in internal medicine, then got his MBA and became an entrepreneur.  

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 3

Congratulations!  My dd just returned from a college tour that included a trip to CMU.  (It also included a fairly hilarious interaction with a weirdly over-the-top brown nosing applicant.)

Compared to the other schools she's seen, CMU seems like a really good fit for her.  What school did your student apply to?  What about his application do you think impressed the committee?  

DS applied to the College of Science as a Math major.

Hard to tell what impressed the committee.  He has always had math and science interests and currently takes graduate level courses at U of Penn. He attended SPARC, a math camp at Berkeley.  His world record and travels and youtube channel helped, I would imagine.  He has an interest in effective altruism, which was discussed in his essays.

FWIW - he never visited or had an interview with Carnegie Mellon.

What probably makes committees pause are his essays and the fact that he's graduating early.  While his essays are very well-written and thoughtful, they are very serious.  He doesn't have much of a sense of humor.  It's just who he is, as much as I encouraged him during the application process. :)

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 7

DS is accepted at Dickinson College with merit scholarship. He hasn't visited yet, so we're considering going down there in April. He's sadly rejected at two of his top three choices and waitlisted at the other one.

• Like 22

DS is accepted at Dickinson College with merit scholarship. He hasn't visited yet, so we're considering going down there in April. He's sadly rejected at two of his top three choices and waitlisted at the other one.

Congratulations to your son on his acceptance to Dickinson; I hope he'll enjoy his visit.

I'm sorry to hear of his sad news and hope that happier days are to come.

Sending commiseration to all who may have received disappointing news.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Sorry about the rejections/waitlist, but just wanted to let you know, kids I know who went to Dickinson loved it.  I hope your guy does too (or gets in off the waitlist at that school).

• Like 3

Congratulations to your son on his acceptance to Dickinson; I hope he'll enjoy his visit.

I'm sorry to hear of his sad news and hope that happier days are to come.

Sending commiseration to all who may have received disappointing news.

Regards,

Kareni

Sorry about the rejections/waitlist, but just wanted to let you know, kids I know who went to Dickinson loved it.  I hope your guy does too (or gets in off the waitlist at that school).

Thanks. We're regrouping and working on a positive outlook. I think he has to assume he will not get in off of any waitlists. And I think Dickinson looks like a really good option. It might not have been his first choice, but I think it will be a good match for him.

• Like 4

Thanks. We're regrouping and working on a positive outlook. I think he has to assume he will not get in off of any waitlists. And I think Dickinson looks like a really good option. It might not have been his first choice, but I think it will be a good match for him.

If he does really well at Dickinson but still holds regret, he could apply for a transfer, right?   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Agree with Creekland.  Dickinson is a fantastic school for many kids.  My cousin's kid just graduated with a degree in Russian and is now attending Harvard.  Carlisle is a cute town!

I hate to hear about his rejections/waitlist.  It can be such a bummer for our kids.  My hope is that all of our kids find a school where they can be very happy.  

• Like 8

Thanks for all the encouragement for my ds! It's possible that he could transfer, but I'm really hoping that he likes Dickinson. So glad to hear about others good experiences there! He's been looking forward to going to college for a long time, and I hope he not only learns a lot, but has a good time.

• Like 5

As expected, dd was waitlisted at Vandy.  It was a last minute idea to apply there and she didn't visit or interview so she would have been truly surprised by an acceptance.  Since her interest is so low, she didn't accept a waitlist position, hoping to give it to someone with more interest  :thumbup1:   

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 12

Good problem to have, Attolia. There is a poster on CC right now whose Dd is heartbroken. She only has 2 acceptances (UWashington and Cal Poly and the UWash does not include direct admit to engineering.) and the rest are rejections. She is #1 in her class of 600. :(. It is a rough yr over there for a lot of kids.

Wow, that is not very encouraging, huh?  Gosh, really tough.

Yay!  DS is interested in CMU, too!

• Like 1

I want to cry with joy. CMU's financial aid package was the best yet. DS is very happy!

:party:

• Like 2

I want to cry with joy. CMU's financial aid package was the best yet. DS is very happy!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 3

DS applied to the College of Sciences as a Math major.

Hard to tell what impressed the committee.  He has always had math and science interests and currently takes graduate level courses at U of Penn. He attended SPARC, a math camp at Berkeley.  His world record and travels and youtube channel helped, I would imagine.  He has an interest in effective altruism, which was discussed in his essays.

FWIW - he never visited or had an interview with Carnegie Mellon.

What probably makes committees pause are his essays and the fact that he's graduating early.  While his essays are very well-written and thoughtful, they are very serious.  He doesn't have much of a sense of humor.  It's just who he is, as much as I encouraged him during the application process. :)

DS is thinking quite seriously about CMU.  It looks like an excellent program.  Congrats to your DS!!

• Like 2

That is so wonderful! Happy for your ds!! :)

• Like 1

My sister went to Dickinson and *loved* it.  I was at a large research university, and was very jealous of the small classes and specialized attention that she got. They are known for their outstanding teaching. Congrats on the merit scholarship!

• Like 1

This is really stress reducing. I made the mistake of reading https://smile.amazon.com/Acceptance-Legendary-Counselor-Colleges-Themselves-ebook/dp/B002DQDODO/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490818598&sr=1-6&keywords=acceptance, thinking it might be helpful. Instead it led me down a path of panic, since there is no way that I have the kind of backdoor connections this guy had built up to help get his kids into schools. The fact that he's very down on kids declaring Biology as a major doesn't help!

But seeing so many kids succeed definitely makes me feel more confident that our rather off the beaten path program of study just may end up working out after all.

Congratulations to all!!

• Like 4

Duke :w00t: 

I give up, I have no idea how she will make this decision :eek: :eek: :eek: This is like a wild card.

I apologize if that comes across wrong. We are incredibly grateful.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 28

Duke  :eek:

I give up, I have no idea how she will make this decision  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:   This is like a wild card.

I am so excited that your daughter has so many awesome choices !!!! Congratulations to you both. :)

• Like 5

I am so excited that your daughter has so many awesome choices !!!! Congratulations to you both. :)

Is your dd taking the merit at Vandy? Holding out for more info?  I've been dying to know!!!!

• Like 2

Is your dd taking the merit at Vandy? Holding out for more info?  I've been dying to know!!!!

She has several great offers, and the final set of interviews is approaching.  So we don't know quite yet. :) 

DH and I, like so many others here, feel so grateful and blessed for the opportunities and so blessed since merit is essential for us. DD was stupefied to received the Vandy scholarship, and I have to say she really does love that school (so do we).  She's just waiting for the last set of competitive interviews. I will be glad when it is over. 

Thanks so much for asking! :)

• Like 8

I will be glad when it is over. 

I think we are ALL feeling this way.   :thumbup1:

• Like 5

DS got in Georgetown on Monday and Duke today. Duke totally took us by surprise. I am literally :crying:. Duke acceptance letter says that they had 34,000 applicants for 1,700 places in the first year class this year. I don't know if I can survive another 24 hours of waiting.

• Like 26

DS got in Georgetown on Monday and Duke today. Duke totally took us by surprise. I am literally :crying:. Duke acceptance letter says that they had 34,000 applicants for 1,700 places in the first year class this year. I don't know if I can survive another 24 hours of waiting.

24 hours ~ we got this!  We do!   :hurray:

• Like 1

Right? Even though I can almost hear my heart beating now. I need to get some ice cream.

• Like 1

34,000 applicants for 1,700 places in the first year class this year.

WOW!  Duke is getting competitive!  My Dad told me that when he went there that it was a just "good regional school."

• Like 4

WOW!  Duke is getting competitive!  My Dad told me that when he went there that it was a just "good regional school."

Everything is getting competitive these days but especially the upper tier schools....ridiculously competitive.  

• Like 4

Wow, why do I feel better here than on CC?

CC?  Everyone on here who knows me knows I am scared to death of it and avoid it like the plague.   :lol:

Edited by Attolia

Wow, why do I feel better here than on CC?

Right, these are awesome surprises!

My former colleague's child with the super fancy private school and APs and legacy did not get into Duke. Your kids are rockstars â¤ï¸

But I don't go on CC. We will do our thing and throw a bunch of papers up and examine their landing spots. That's my strategy :)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 8

Right, these are awesome surprises!

My former colleague's child with the super fancy private school and APs and legacy did not get into Duke. Your kids are rockstars â¤ï¸

But I don't go on CC. We will do our thing and throw a bunch of papers up and examine their landing spots. That's my strategy :)

I've peeked at CC a few times and it scares the heck out of me.  That is one stressed group of kiddos, right?  

• Like 1

Everything is getting competitive these days but especially the upper tier schools....ridiculously competitive.  

Even mid-tier schools — I was just reading the Ohio State thread on CC, and there are kids with 35-36 ACTs and 4+ GPAs who applied EA and got deferred! Crazy. :blink:  

• Like 8

Even mid-tier schools — I was just reading the Ohio State thread on CC, and there are kids with 35-36 ACTs and 4+ GPAs who applied EA and got deferred! Crazy. :blink:  

YES!  I saw that on Furman's thread too.  I was peeking over there for something else and saw that someone was deferred with a 35 (Furman's ACT range is like 26-30 so they were applying as a safety).  I felt immediately overwhelmed, like always, and left ASAP.  Crazy right?  The kids there made me feel like dd couldn't get into community college  :huh:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

I LOVE CC for their predictions on when decisions will be announced (for UC schools we are only told to expect them in March...so I love that the CC kids always predict the correct dates and even time!). Otherwise, reading CC is like sending out an open invitation to come to my house and gut punch me over and over again! :sad:

So proud of all the kids. :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

So honored to be sharing this board with parents like you guys who are so humble and yet so dedicated to your awesome kids. :hurray: Wow, such great news!

And sending big hugs to those who were denied. :grouphug: I hope there are enough choices to make good decisions.

• Like 15

CC? Everyone on here who knows me knows I am scared to death of it and avoid it like the plague.

What is it about CC that makes you feel terrible? I am just curious :lol:

I went on CC during the weekend and felt hopeless, seriously. All those amazing kids with super impressive resumes and can't get into top schools. They are superhuman kids! They win awards, establish companies, build homes for orphans, etc. One kid said that all his work during the last 4 years was wasted. That's really sad. These are just kids with a wonderful future ahead no matter where they go, but it seems to them everything rides on getting accepted to certain colleges. And of course, now that I know how competitive it is, I don't want to fall into the same trap.

It just feels healthier here.

ETA: and they have almost perfect SAT scores and above 4.0 GPA, so I guess stats don't matter that much when everyone else has the same stats.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 7

YES! I saw that on Furman's thread too. I was peeking over there for something else and saw that someone was deferred with a 35 (Furman's ACT range is like 26-30 so they were applying as a safety). I felt immediately overwhelmed, like always, and left ASAP. Crazy right? The kids there made me feel like dd couldn't get into community college :huh:

Yield protect, surely? but what do I know.
  • Like 3

It just feels healthier here.

Trust your gut. It is!

I think we are more down to earth here too? We know things can be hard. We know there can be unexpected joys but we don't build the entire application on that. Perhaps being homeschoolers or at least semi-homeschoolers (for those families who don't homeschool high school) helps us be realistic too because we are already at somewhat of a "disadvantage" numbers-wise?

• Like 8