Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

DS just found out he was accepted to UC Irvine too. He is so excited about this one. 

• Like 37

Dd received her acceptance to UGA today. For what it's worth, she is an unaccredited homeschooler and there was some question as to whether she met their course requirements since she had no SAT Subject Tests. The admissions office could not say whether she would be considered or not, but I guess she was!

Edited by Melabella
  • Like 32

DS had a very good day today. In addition to UCI he was accepted to UCLA and Pepperdine. We are waiting on just one more decision (UCSB) and financial aid news, and then he will decide where to go. 

• Like 37

Daughter was accepted to UCLA today!  They do Regent's different there and informed her that they would be sending letters out regarding that in April.  

Also got a letter from Loyola Marymount offering her the Presidential Scholarship of $25,000/year.  I am totally surprised about Loyola Marymount because we did not even respond to their invitation to attend a weekend there, and they said that it was required to attend and be interviewed for any of the academic scholarships.  Gosh, it makes me wonder how much they *really* would give if we showed interest.  It is a nice school, and I wouldn't mind her going there at all, but not the best for her intended career.

Edited by learners4life
  • Like 34

Ds got accepted into two more schools and both with good scholarships - Ohio Wesleyan and University of Puget Sound.  However, as much as he liked UPS in particular, we just paid the deposit at Allegheny College, which has been his first choice.  He's so excited  :001_smile: and selfishly, this mom is thrilled that he'll be within driving distance instead of nearly 2,500 miles away.  

• Like 33

My senior is not homeschooled (the younger two are) but she feels like an honorary homeschooler from all my time on these boards:-) So I don't know if she belongs on the list but she just got her UCLA acceptance yesterday! Just waiting on the last few which will be coming soon.  It has been a long year of applications and waiting! 

• Like 29

Can a member of the forum who rarely posts but has relied on this board for so, so much guidance over the years share an amazing accomplishment? My son was just accepted to his top choice, College of the Holy Cross, with a full-tuition scholarship. I am stunned, and thankful, and ... so many emotions. And I need to thank all the people here who have shared over the years the "how-to's" in navigating the college application process. I relied heavily on this board to guide me. You were my virtual support, even though I never post, when in my own world there exist far too many negative Nellies constantly whispering in my ear (and my children's ears) about how I have ruined their lives with my home-schooling convictions. I thank all of you who have walked this road and taken the time to share - you are an amazing, knowledgeable, and thoughtful group.

• Like 49

Oh Sabrina! Huge congratulations to you and your son! I am thrilled that your journey has landed you in the place you both desired.

I am constantly in awe of this board and its unending source of love and support. Enjoy this moment with your son. And be proud of what you have accomplished.

• Like 8

Another acceptance to Case Western with $33,000 in merit and $9,000 in grant money. He now has two choices. Choices are good!

• Like 35

I am going to add...oldest ds got into ASU for grad school (physics). He is excited because they support the work of David Hestenes who is the architect of geometric algebra in use with physics. I think I said that correctly! And I don't think I posted about him yet.

He is visiting ASU as I write this. :-)

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 31

Over the last couple of days:

Declined by University of Chicago and Washington University in St Louis

Accepted by University of Washington and College of the Holy Cross.

• Like 33

Creekland, huge hugs.  Maybe the break before he gets back at it will be good for his health and keep him from burning out.  He's got a grueling path before him and a good rest, or at least a change, might be a good thing.  The big thing is that he seems to be managing to keep it from derailing him and keeping him from graduating.  If it were mine, that would be a major worry.  Sigh.  If he manages to graduate despite this, he deserves large congratulations, in my opinion, anyway.

More hugs,

Nan

• Like 4

Dd received her acceptance to UGA today. For what it's worth, she is an unaccredited homeschooler and there was some question as to whether she met their course requirements since she had no SAT Subject Tests. The admissions office could not say whether she would be considered or not, but I guess she was!

That is lovely that she was accepted despite their worries about the requirements!  You might just want to check that there isn't going to be a hitch with her officially matriculating.  Sometimes the people who do the admitting and the people who issue the diplomas don't communicate well with each other.

Nan

• Like 1

Sabrina and Sebastian, I graduated from Holy Cross in '88 :D

Congratulations on all the good news :) and massive hugs for the disappointing news :grouphug:

• Like 2

Sebastian, my oldest will be graduating from University of Washington in one more quarter. Great place to go to school if you like an urban environment! The financial aid for OOS is terrible, but your student is ROTC, right? Congrats on the other acceptances too!!

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 1

Sebastian, my oldest will be graduating from University of Washington in one more quarter. Great place to go to school if you like an urban environment! The financial aid for OOS is terrible, but your student is ROTC, right? Congrats on the other acceptances too!!

No ROTC scholarship yet. We are still hoping, since he hasn't yet heard that it's a no. But it will be right down to the wire.

Ds got accepted into two more schools and both with good scholarships - Ohio Wesleyan and University of Puget Sound.  However, as much as he liked UPS in particular, we just paid the deposit at Allegheny College, which has been his first choice.  He's so excited  :001_smile: and selfishly, this mom is thrilled that he'll be within driving distance instead of nearly 2,500 miles away.  

Allegheny was the first school to accept my son and the first school he visited. It stayed at the top of the list until the bitter end because he loved the warmth of the staff and students. He said no place made him feel more welcome than Allegheny.  Also, the fact that their merit scholarships aren't tied to GPA is fantastic. I wish your son all the best.

• Like 6

Allegheny was the first school to accept my son and the first school he visited. It stayed at the top of the list until the bitter end because he loved the warmth of the staff and students. He said no place made him feel more welcome than Allegheny.  Also, the fact that their merit scholarships aren't tied to GPA is fantastic. I wish your son all the best.

Okay - I have to share my Allegheny story.  It was the last of an 8 college tour.  We were exhausted.  Allegheny was not the best fit for oldest ds.  But - we had a scheduled tour and interview.

A pretty blonde haired, blue eyed girl took us on the tour.  It was uneventful.  We were tired.  We got back to the admissions office to wait for his interview.  I was honestly ready to start the final 6 hours home.  I asked if ds just wanted to go home, without doing the interview. He was in a daze.  I kept calling his name. In la la land, ds asked, "Did you see her eyes?  I couldn't stop looking in her eyes."

It was soooo unlike him and she was soooo not his typical type.  It was a funny moment.  I told him that her eyes were not a reason to consider a school and that he'd grow tired of them quickly and asked again if he wanted to skip the interview and go home.  Eventually, he joined me - physically and emotionally.

These days, he denies the entire event happened.  :lol:

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 15

How is everyone holding up?  It is almost April 1st  :thumbup:

• Like 2

All 5 University of CA campuses that he applied to have admitted the kid! Final yes from UC Santa Barbara came in today. I think he will get a separate reply from the College of Creative Studies math program. Should hopefully be a yes too since the faculty wrote to him asking him to apply.

ETA: The College of Creative Studies sent an email acceptance to the CCS math program!

Edited by quark
  • Like 36

That is lovely that she was accepted despite their worries about the requirements!  You might just want to check that there isn't going to be a hitch with her officially matriculating.  Sometimes the people who do the admitting and the people who issue the diplomas don't communicate well with each other.

Nan

Good point, Nan. I will verify.

However,  I probably worded my original post poorly. It's not that she did not meet their requirements (she well exceeded them actually), we just didn't have the SAT II, AP tests, or college courses that they want as proof for unaccredited homeschoolers in ALL of the CPC (core curriculum requirements) courses. In Georgia, high schoolers have to take an end of course test in certain subjects to pass the course and graduate. UGA is essentially using the AP or SAT II tests as verification that those courses were taken/passed. My dd took no AP or SAT II tests. Her ACT English and Math scores met the requirement for verification in those subjects, but we did not have any outside tests or dual enrollment courses for the Social Sciences requirement. 

DS got an acceptance letter from UVA today. We are so grateful. It's been quite a roller coaster ride already. I don't know what is ahead of us, but as for today, I won't think about anything else. Just rejoice.

• Like 26

Good point, Nan. I will verify.

However, I probably worded my original post poorly. It's not that she did not meet their requirements (she well exceeded them actually), we just didn't have the SAT II, AP tests, or college courses that they want as proof for unaccredited homeschoolers in ALL of the CPC (core curriculum requirements) courses. In Georgia, high schoolers have to take an end of course test in certain subjects to pass the course and graduate. UGA is essentially using the AP or SAT II tests as verification that those courses were taken/passed. My dd took no AP or SAT II tests. Her ACT English and Math scores met the requirement for verification in those subjects, but we did not have any outside tests or dual enrollment courses for the Social Sciences requirement.

That doesn't sound like a situation that would lead to the sorts of acceptance/matriculation problems that UMass has. : )

Nan

Dd is in at Emory. It is one of her top choices but I honestly think finances will keep it off the final list. We'll see :)

ETA. Dd just got an email saying she has a merit scholarship for 15,000 a year. I'll check tomorrow and see what that means for the bottom line. Maybe it will make the top list after all.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 21

DD is in at Rice with a very nice merit scholarship.  I am so happy for her that she has received so many awesome decisions and scholarships but she was assuming she would get rejected from half of them.  We are feeling overwhelmed and afraid that the final decision will be sooooo hard.

• Like 26

Good problem to have, Attolia. There is a poster on CC right now whose Dd is heartbroken. She only has 2 acceptances (UWashington and Cal Poly and the UWash does not include direct admit to engineering.) and the rest are rejections. She is #1 in her class of 600. :(. It is a rough yr over there for a lot of kids.

• Like 3

Dear Son is accepted at Oberlin, Bennington, Lewis and Clark, waitlisted at Colby and Reed...O frabjous day, callou, callay! 

• Like 21

Good problem to have, Attolia. There is a poster on CC right now whose Dd is heartbroken. She only has 2 acceptances (UWashington and Cal Poly and the UWash does not include direct admit to engineering.) and the rest are rejections. She is #1 in her class of 600. :(. It is a rough yr over there for a lot of kids.

I am certainly worried about the rest of the week and its rejections in waiting, but so grateful that ds has two very good choices so far.

In fact, he told me he just got notified from Rochester that he got the second best scholarship; he is on waiting list for the Handler (100% plus $5,000 in research).

So - he has received more in merit aid than I previously posted.  Whew.

• Like 19

Dear Son is accepted at Oberlin, Bennington, Lewis and Clark, waitlisted at Colby and Reed...O frabjous day, callou, callay! 

Yay!!!  DS graduated from Oberlin in May.  Let me know if you have any questions.  He had an amazing experience and is working there now through July.

• Like 4

This is the last one for this week for us, I think. DS is accepted to Amherst!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 2

It is an awesome problem to have.  We are incredibly grateful. I just know DD will have a hard time deciding.  She assumed rejections would help sort that out.   

• Like 5

DD is in at Rice with a very nice merit scholarship. I am so happy for her that she has received so many awesome decisions and scholarships but she was assuming she would get rejected from half of them. We are feeling overwhelmed and afraid that the final decision will be sooooo hard.

Woo-hoo!!!! We were all huge fans of Rice! Our ds also got nice merit there. A couple of great things about Rice (IIRC) were a lower overall price point and that loans in packages were LOWER than Stafford loans. Many perks to a large endowment and a relatively small class. I was also a huge fan of the residential college system. Ds, however, couldn't turn down his "dream school," and he has absolutely loved it and has had great success there. It took him about a ten days to make a final decision. He had applied to eleven and was accepted to nine. Narrowed it to his top three pretty quickly, and then went from three to one.

Hang in there everyone! The end is in sight!

• Like 6

DD wrapped up her notifications yesterday. In the last week she was invited into Fordham's Honors program, wait listed at Williams, and turned down at Pomona and Barnard. The last one was tough because it was her top choice.

Now she has 4 to choose from with her least favorite almost full ride. Two of the 4 were low on her list but are on the East coast which is now a plus. DD now needs to figure out whether she needs to see those two prior to deciding.

This is not going to be an easy decision. It is like she is starting over.

Edited by Arch at Home
  • Like 19

It is an awesome problem to have. We are incredibly grateful. I just know DD will have a hard time deciding. She assumed rejections would help sort that out.

It's a good problem to have, but I do understand the agony that goes into picking and choosing, especially with choices that are very different from each other (and each with s set of cons.) Saying goodbye to schools is tough. My daughter is still feeling angsty a year later about a couple of roads not taken.

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 5

Woo-hoo!!!! We were all huge fans of Rice! Our ds also got nice merit there. A couple of great things about Rice (IIRC) were a lower overall price point and that loans in packages were LOWER than Stafford loans. Many perks to a large endowment and a relatively small class. I was also a huge fan of the residential college system. Ds, however, couldn't turn down his "dream school," and he has absolutely loved it and has had great success there. It took him about a ten days to make a final decision. He had applied to eleven and was accepted to nine. Narrowed it to his top three pretty quickly, and then went from three to one.

Hang in there everyone! The end is in sight!

I really don't know much about the school.  Only dd has visited.  She loved the residential college system as well and Rice's set up is what convinced her to also apply to Yale (also residential college system).  She was adamant that we visit if she got in because it is her absolute #1 choice among the schools she was able to visit, she simply isn't sure she can be that far from home :(   

• Like 4

I really don't know much about the school. Only dd has visited. She loved the residential college system as well and Rice's set up is what convinced her to also apply to Yale (also residential college system). She was adamant that we visit if she got in because it is her absolute #1 choice among the schools she was able to visit, she simply isn't sure she can be that far from home :(

I remember our discussing this before and remember that she hasn't spent much extended time away from you. It definitely should be a consideration, but I bet she will be fine!

• Like 2

DD is in at Wake Forest.   :thumbup1:

We won't know anything about financial aid until mid April.  That seems so much later than everyone else, right?  

• Like 22

DS was accepted to both Carthage College and Campbell University with academic scholarships.

And was also not only accepted at Queens University of Charlotte ( private DII school) with a generous 4 year academic scholarship BUT he has also committed to the Men's swimming program as well!! It's been a good week here :)

Edited by corbster98
  • Like 21

DD is in at Wake Forest. :thumbup1:

We won't know anything about financial aid until mid April. That seems so much later than everyone else, right?

We encountered the same thing when DS21 was accepted there.

• Like 2

DS was accepted to both Carthage College and Campbell University with academic scholarships.

And was also not only accepted at Queens University of Charlotte ( private DII school) with a generous 4 year academic scholarship BUT he has also committed to the Men's swimming program as well!! It's been a good week here :)

Congrats!  Queens has a beautiful campus.  We love the Myers Park area and the large trees.  Charlotte is a great city.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1