Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

How did he find out? Was there an email or did he have to check his portal.

My ds applied, but as an OOS student. Haven't heard anything yet.

I had noticed on CConfidential that it would be announced at 3pm but the site was down at 3. There was no email. We came home from a class at 6.30pm and DS checked the portal then and found out he had been accepted. I will ask him and update if there was an email sent between 3pm and 6.30pm (I don't think he checked his inbox at that time).

Fingers tightly crossed for your DS Sebastian!

• Like 1

I had noticed on CConfidential that it would be announced at 3pm but the site was down at 3. There was no email. We came home from a class at 6.30pm and DS checked the portal then and found out he had been accepted. I will ask him and update if there was an email sent between 3pm and 6.30pm (I don't think he checked his inbox at that time).

Fingers tightly crossed for your DS Sebastian!

Thanks. That is what I needed to know.

DS was accepted to UC San Diego (UCSD). It is a school with NROTC as well as the academic concentration he's looking for..

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 31

Thanks. That is what I needed to know.

DS was accepted to UC San Diego (UCSD). It is a school with NROTC as well as the academic concentration he's looking for..

Congratulations Sebastian! I finally managed to ask DS about emails and he says he only received an email from UCSD today at 11.49am. They asked him to check his portal.

HUGE CONGRATS TO EVERYONE SO FAR!! SO exciting!!!!!!

I'm really glad you shared his story.  We've been bummed that middle son only got two interviews (of 20 applications) for MSTP (and none for just med school). 

But he'll do fine with whatever Plan C turns out to be.  It's just sad for a mama to see his plans (since third grade) dashed after how much he's accomplished in college.  And of course, that's how the world has lost a future doctor - selecting the wrong undergrad school.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have suggested he go to an LAC I think - or perhaps Pitt would have been better.

Anyway, to circle back around, I'm glad you shared your story as it makes me more positive at looking forward to his Plan C.  He's still a superb young adult with tons of capability and likability (with everyone he's ever worked with).  That hasn't changed just because we picked the wrong school for him to attend.  (sigh)  I just wish we could have a do-over!

I have just spent lots of time getting caught up on this thread - but this... THIS... I have no words. Wow, creekland. I hope your ds is feeling like he's on more solid footing by this point (because I know I'm chiming in very late...) I've read your posts re: him over the years and he sounds like a perfect doctor-in-the-making and I truly wish the best for him.

I am going to be much more pro-active regarding dd1s grad school intentions due to this very thread. I've been very hands-off, but I know that her school isn't going to give her a lot of support unless she seeks it out. I've left it in her hands, but... her current undergrad degree is NOT going to equal employment without the DPT degree stacked atop it and I admit to freaking out a little bit right now. O_O Your ds sounds like he did ALL The right things and my dd is prone to absent-mindedness. So. Yikes. (of course, it's not as competitive to get where she's going, but still... sounds like one teensy "error" and years of work just... poof!... wow. That just sucks.)

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 8

DocMom, my DD applied to 2 Ivies, Wellesley and Barnard. She heard from Wellesley through Early Evaluation that she is likely to be accepted and will receive an official notification and financial aid at the end of this month. She has not heard anything from Barnard. What are you wanting to know.

• Like 1

Your ds sounds like he did ALL The right things 

It's been confirmed by multiple knowledgeable sources that he did all the right things for med school.  The only problem was super bad advice from his pre-med advisors (incorrect information causing him to not apply correctly).  I'll admit we're all quite angry, but he's fixing it for next year, and (according to actual med school admissions folks) should have no problem getting multiple interviews leading to acceptances.  That's the best he can do right now.

After he's accepted somewhere he may say something to his school.  For now, like the good lad he is, he's merely assisting others who want to follow a similar path by giving them correct advice - essentially telling them to not listen to anything pre-med folks say, but in more detail.  Sadly, he has not been the only one affected.  Their pre-med advisors have absolutely no background in med school admissions or the medical field themselves at all. They are merely graduates who need jobs, so someone thought they could fill in there.  It'd be akin to my taking on the job - except I'd do some research to be sure my advice was correct before offering it, but even then I'm certainly not as good at the job as someone with personal experience of some sort.

Check the background of advisors at your school.  They may be fine - or they may be graduates who need jobs and filling slots.  If the latter, be sure she has good advice from a knowledgeable source.  That's where we messed up last year.  We trusted his school.  There's nothing at all wrong with the school (education, etc).  It's all the advisors from the school.  (Well, it's wrong that the school doesn't have knowledgeable advisors, but I meant there was nothing wrong with the education he got from there.)

• Like 7

It's been confirmed by multiple knowledgeable sources that he did all the right things for med school.  The only problem was super bad advice from his pre-med advisors (incorrect information causing him to not apply correctly).  I'll admit we're all quite angry, but he's fixing it for next year, and (according to actual med school admissions folks) should have no problem getting multiple interviews leading to acceptances.  That's the best he can do right now.

Well, I could offer several platitudes that won't help - but instead I'll just reaffirm that it sucks and it especially sucks when stuff like this happens to the good ones.  I'm sure that, in the grand scheme of life, this was just "supposed to happen" to put your ds on the course that his life is supposed to take (ha! snuck a couple in anyway!) - but nevertheless... ugh. :/  Thank you for sharing this experience with everyone here. It means a lot to know that - even when you DO all the right things - crap can still happen and things can still veer wildly off-course due to some nit-picky or unexpected detail.

The very best wishes to your son. He sounds like he's dealing with the disappointment in a grand manner and being the bigger person. Kudos to him for that. Hopes (and confidence!) that bigger and better await him on the other side of this year - and hopefully he'll have a grand adventure in the meantime while he waits for that time to pass.

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 5

Creekland, I missed your earlier post too.... ARGH!  You and your DS sound like you are handling it so well!  I imagine you both must have been furious!   :grouphug:

• Like 1

Creekland, I missed your earlier post too.... ARGH!  You and your DS sound like you are handling it so well!  I imagine you both must have been furious!   :grouphug:

Oh we're still furious, but I'm handling it well because I have to.  I don't want to ruin his chances for next year so I'm limiting what I say (esp online) and who I say it to (it's here partially as a vent and mostly as a warning for others).  He's handling it very well - bummed/angry, but moving on.

The good thing?  We haven't had to pay a thing for real guidance as I had planned.  The lad has enough contacts (in the field) now who were also furious - and they've taken him under their wing to help him - extensive and in depth meaningful help - which is how we know he was told oodles of things incorrectly before.  It makes him feel wanted and has helped spur him on rather than making him feel he should change directions.  It's been great to hear about TBH.

He also knows he's more than welcome to live in our basement (or his bedroom) for the next year if he wants to.  ;)  He's still deciding that plan - Americorps, oodles of medical missions trips, EMT training, and probably a thing or two I'm forgetting are all still in the running.  I'm ok having another year (or part of one) with him!

• Like 18

Ds.2 got into UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, Baylor (half tuition scholarship), and Liberty (full tuition scholarship). Most likely, he will be attending Liberty with a full tuition scholarship. Ds. 1 will graduate from Baylor and go to Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in Manhattan, NY for med. school. 

• Like 32

UC Irvine said yes today. :001_smile:

Of the 5 UC campuses DS applied to, 3 have accepted our balanced mix of non a-g approved homeschooled and a-g approved CC classes.

We are waiting on UCLA and UCSB now.

I just knew he was UC material. Congratulations on all his acceptances!

• Like 3

UC Irvine said yes today. :001_smile:

We are waiting on UCLA and UCSB now.

If you end up moving to SoCal or north to Davis, we should try to have a SF bay area potluck gathering before you move.

My friends' son attended the preschool at UCI many years ago. They were staying near UCI.

Congrats and Good Luck!!!

• Like 4

If you end up moving to SoCal or north to Davis, we should try to have a SF bay area potluck gathering before you move.

My friends' son attended the preschool at UCI many years ago. They were staying near UCI.

Congrats and Good Luck!!!

Don't encourage her. We need her just where she is.

• Like 4

Don't encourage her. We need her just where she is.

If UCSB honors program is where her son wants to go, then we can always use social messaging apps :)

We are within driving distance of each other and I am sometimes in her area like once a month but we haven't had a chance to meet up for ice-cream.

• Like 2

Dd received her acceptance to UGA today. For what it's worth, she is an unaccredited homeschooler and there was some question as to whether she met their course requirements since she had no SAT Subject Tests. The admissions office could not say whether she would be considered or not, but I guess she was!

Edited by Melabella
  • Like 32

Daughter was accepted to UCLA today!  They do Regent's different there and informed her that they would be sending letters out regarding that in April.  

Also got a letter from Loyola Marymount offering her the Presidential Scholarship of $25,000/year.  I am totally surprised about Loyola Marymount because we did not even respond to their invitation to attend a weekend there, and they said that it was required to attend and be interviewed for any of the academic scholarships.  Gosh, it makes me wonder how much they *really* would give if we showed interest.  It is a nice school, and I wouldn't mind her going there at all, but not the best for her intended career.

Edited by learners4life
  • Like 34

Ds got accepted into two more schools and both with good scholarships - Ohio Wesleyan and University of Puget Sound.  However, as much as he liked UPS in particular, we just paid the deposit at Allegheny College, which has been his first choice.  He's so excited  :001_smile: and selfishly, this mom is thrilled that he'll be within driving distance instead of nearly 2,500 miles away.  

• Like 33

My senior is not homeschooled (the younger two are) but she feels like an honorary homeschooler from all my time on these boards:-) So I don't know if she belongs on the list but she just got her UCLA acceptance yesterday! Just waiting on the last few which will be coming soon.  It has been a long year of applications and waiting! 

• Like 29

Can a member of the forum who rarely posts but has relied on this board for so, so much guidance over the years share an amazing accomplishment? My son was just accepted to his top choice, College of the Holy Cross, with a full-tuition scholarship. I am stunned, and thankful, and ... so many emotions. And I need to thank all the people here who have shared over the years the "how-to's" in navigating the college application process. I relied heavily on this board to guide me. You were my virtual support, even though I never post, when in my own world there exist far too many negative Nellies constantly whispering in my ear (and my children's ears) about how I have ruined their lives with my home-schooling convictions. I thank all of you who have walked this road and taken the time to share - you are an amazing, knowledgeable, and thoughtful group.

• Like 49

Oh Sabrina! Huge congratulations to you and your son! I am thrilled that your journey has landed you in the place you both desired.

I am constantly in awe of this board and its unending source of love and support. Enjoy this moment with your son. And be proud of what you have accomplished.

• Like 8

I am going to add...oldest ds got into ASU for grad school (physics). He is excited because they support the work of David Hestenes who is the architect of geometric algebra in use with physics. I think I said that correctly! And I don't think I posted about him yet.

He is visiting ASU as I write this. :-)

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 31

Creekland, huge hugs.  Maybe the break before he gets back at it will be good for his health and keep him from burning out.  He's got a grueling path before him and a good rest, or at least a change, might be a good thing.  The big thing is that he seems to be managing to keep it from derailing him and keeping him from graduating.  If it were mine, that would be a major worry.  Sigh.  If he manages to graduate despite this, he deserves large congratulations, in my opinion, anyway.

More hugs,

Nan

• Like 4

Dd received her acceptance to UGA today. For what it's worth, she is an unaccredited homeschooler and there was some question as to whether she met their course requirements since she had no SAT Subject Tests. The admissions office could not say whether she would be considered or not, but I guess she was!

That is lovely that she was accepted despite their worries about the requirements!  You might just want to check that there isn't going to be a hitch with her officially matriculating.  Sometimes the people who do the admitting and the people who issue the diplomas don't communicate well with each other.

Nan

• Like 1

Sebastian, my oldest will be graduating from University of Washington in one more quarter. Great place to go to school if you like an urban environment! The financial aid for OOS is terrible, but your student is ROTC, right? Congrats on the other acceptances too!!

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 1

Sebastian, my oldest will be graduating from University of Washington in one more quarter. Great place to go to school if you like an urban environment! The financial aid for OOS is terrible, but your student is ROTC, right? Congrats on the other acceptances too!!

No ROTC scholarship yet. We are still hoping, since he hasn't yet heard that it's a no. But it will be right down to the wire.