Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

Such wonderful, happy news! Congratulations to you both!

Thank you so much!

Congrats!!! We've all been waiting and watching. ((Hugs))

After all those UC posts, I've felt like I have a whole fellow-village of CA/ UC aspirant families here. You guys have given us so much strength through this process. Thank you!

DD got Letter of Acceptance from UC Berkeley too.  Also invited to interview for Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship.  Got acceptance from Loyola Marymount earlier this week. 

Relieved is the word!

Oh that is fantastic news! So happy for her! Perhaps we will get to meet each other on campus if you and she attend orientation? Good luck for her other applications too! More good news soon I hope!

• Like 7

DS was accepted to UC Berkeley (early announcement) and invited to apply for the Regents scholarship.

I wanted very much for this announcement to be a prime number post (and reason for post 310).

Thank you all SO much for your encouragement. We are beyond happy. Lots of tears were shed (by me).

Really happy for you and your boy! â¤ï¸
  • Like 2

DS was accepted to UC Berkeley (early announcement) and invited to apply for the Regents scholarship.

I wanted very much for this announcement to be a prime number post (and reason for post 310).

Thank you all SO much for your encouragement. We are beyond happy. Lots of tears were shed (by me).

I am so happy for you. After years of following your story I am so excited to see this happy ending- beginning. I do hope you have time to stick around.
  • Like 5

I am so happy for your ds :party: Must admit, I shed a few tears for him, too.

Been thinking of you :grouphug:

• Like 7

:party: Wonderful news!  But of course none of us are really surprised, knowing that the fine folk at Berkeley would clearly see what a great ds you have!

• Like 5

Congratulations! So happy to hear that!

Berkeley is on DD's current list (although is unlikely to be financially viable-it's pricey out of state, so I'll definitely be watching to see how it works for your DS.

• Like 3

YAY for you both!!!! :party:

• Like 1

Thank you all. I wish I could hug every one of you. This validates so many of my own choices, my worries about being so much less educationally/professionally qualified than some, and makes me feel much calmer, stronger inside.

Edited by quark
  • Like 17

Quark,

I just want to say from our private messages and all you have posted you are such a beautiful person and highly talented! I can't speak directly to your struggles, but I completely understand how hard life can be due to things beyond our control.  

All that you have accomplished despite obstacles speaks to just how amazing and strong you are!!! :grouphug:   

• Like 6

Quark, ⤠to your DS! I have been following your posts. We hope to follow in your son's footsteps. Congratulations!!!

Thank you Roadrunner! I've really enjoyed our UC/a-g chats. A quick aside...I started a repository of links to past UC and a-g discussions in the hopes that some centralized info will help those aiming for the same. It really was a village that helped DS to get to where he did. Let's get yours there too (if that's what's best when the time comes!).  :hurray:

Edited by quark
  • Like 6

Thank you Roadrunner! I've really enjoyed our UC/a-g chats. A quick aside...I started a repository of links to past UC and a-g discussions in the hopes that some centralized info will help those aiming for the same. It really was a village that helped DS to get to where he did. Let's get yours there too (if that's what's best when the time comes!). :hurray:

Thanks, quark, I was going to go through all your posts, lol, but I see that you beat us all to it. I hope you continue to stay here and give us updates about your DS.

• Like 3

Thanks, quark, I was going to go through all your posts, lol, but I see that you beat us all to it. I hope you continue to stay here and give us updates about your DS.

Aw, thank you! Will be here for as long as this board will have me (But who am I kidding? I need you guys more. Yes, confessing to hitting my WTM forums short cut key on my phone every single morning while preparing breakfast...these boards are my soul food on many, many days!).

• Like 9

It is a little early, but my two girls have started getting their acceptance letters for Fall 2017. :hurray: :hurray:

One dd(16) was accepted into Union University, which is her #1 pick.

Both dds(16) were accepted into MTSU and got their letters today. They also got Honors Admission. This school was the other dd's #1 pick.

Both were very homeschool friendly schools, and gave us no trouble at all about transcripts, etc.

Dd18 was accepted into Union, and it is her favorite (nursing program), but not a realistic choice for us.

Belmont University nursing program (students are accepted into the nursing program on the front end.)

Lipscomb University (2nd favorite)

MTSU (honor's program) - we haven't visited their nursing program yet but ds21 attends there so we are pretty familiar with the school in general.

Columbia State Community College (working through the free 2-year tuition program and then transferring - probably to MTSU - to complete a BSN)

• Like 33

Oh that is fantastic news! So happy for her! Perhaps we will get to meet each other on campus if you and she attend orientation? Good luck for her other applications too! More good news soon I hope!

We picked Friday for the interview day.  Probably not the best day for a meeting, unless it is after we are all done.  You live pretty close, right? We could meet on campus or nearby.

• Like 1

Congratulations to your ds. :)

• Like 1

Congratulations Quark and DS that is awesome.

Congrats too to all the new acceptances. I'm so impressed. Well done parents

• Like 3

Dd18 was accepted into Union, and it is her favorite (nursing program), but not a realistic choice for us.

Belmont University nursing program (students are accepted into the nursing program on the front end.)

Lipscomb University (2nd favorite)

MTSU (honor's program) - we haven't visited their nursing program yet but ds21 attends there so we are pretty familiar with the school in general.

Columbia State Community College (working through the free 2-year tuition program and then transferring - probably to MTSU - to complete a BSN)

DD received an appointment to the United States Air Force Academy! She got the call from our senator's office early in the morning last Thursday. Later that evening she completed her taekwondo 1st degree black belt testing :) It will undoubtedly be a very memorable day in her life!

Year after year, this is always the best thread of all. So much feel good and validation for all the work we and our kids put in.

Wonderful news. So happy for both of you!

• Like 6

Oh boy!  I am getting that goose-bumpy feeling that I get every year, reading the acceptance thread!

Congratulations to all of the awesome kids and parents who are celebrating.  Indeed, it takes a village.  I am so grateful for this one! :party:

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 8

I'll chime in once again with hearty congratulations to those who have already received happy news!

And sending good thoughts to those who are waiting for April first; I remember how long that wait seemed when my daughter was a senior.

And sending commiseration to those who have been disappointed; I hope that happier days are on the horizon.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

And sending good thoughts to those who are waiting for April first; I remember how long that wait seemed when my daughter was a senior.

Regards,

Kareni

Amen! Ds was deferred from his first choice. Longest winter of my life!!! Happily, he got in on the regular decision round, but it was tough!

• Like 3

Dd just got her first response from her highly selective schools. She was accepted to Grinnell, her second choice, and awarded a merit scholarship. If her first doesn't come through, she will be quite happy to go there.

The published notification day for regular application is April 1. It is nice to hear so early.

She also heard a while back from Baldwin Wallace. She still has 5 more colleges to hear from.

• Like 29

Congratulations to everyone who has posted so far! So much good news! :hurray:

DS got his acceptance from Beloit College today, with a generous Presidential scholarship. It's not his first choice, but he has been through some very rough/stressful stuff lately and it really cheered him up. We're waiting on their financial aid package - I'm hoping the scholarship doesn't just replace all need-based aid. Also waiting on most other colleges. Waiting is very difficult.

• Like 25

Waiting IS difficult! Hang in there all!

Congratulations to your daughter, Arch! My oldest really enjoyed her visit to Grinnell. It's wonderful to have an option that will make your student happy already in place.

And congratulations to your son, Jean. Beloit is a great option, and I hope the money works out.

• Like 3

Dd just got her first response from her highly selective schools. She was accepted to Grinnell, her second choice, and awarded a merit scholarship. If her first doesn't come through, she will be quite happy to go there.

The published notification day for regular application is April 1. It is nice to hear so early.

She also heard a while back from Baldwin Wallace. She still has 5 more colleges to hear from.

I was at the Knox-Grinnell women's basketball game yesterday. It was an exciting game. A nice W for Grinnell.

• Like 1

WOW!! I was out of town for the last while and look what I missed!!!! GREAT NEWS!!! Congrats to your son!!!!! :D

• Like 2

DD got Letter of Acceptance from UC Berkeley too.  Also invited to interview for Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship.  Got acceptance from Loyola Marymount earlier this week. 

Relieved is the word!

YAY!! As another UC hopeful, I am sooooo excited for you and your dd! I have been watching for word with bated breath. I go away for 1 week (stuck in Tahoe with all those road closures!) and look what happens. GREAT NEWS!!!! There's hope yet for us UC/A-G hopefuls! Woo-hoo!!

• Like 3

Yeah! Congrats! It is so hard when the student is really quirky and you know that only a few schools in your geographical circle will work. Such a relief! I am so happy for you!

Nan

Ps love the prime # bit!

• Like 2

Yeah! Congrats! It is so hard when the student is really quirky and you know that only a few schools in your geographical circle will work. Such a relief! I am so happy for you!

Nan

Ps love the prime # bit!

Thank you so much Nan! ((grateful hugs))