Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

Although I was hesitant to post since I have not participated in any real way on this forum for quite a while, I've enjoyed reading the posts here since my son was in kindergarten and I've learned very much from y'all along the way.  Now as I poke around this list anonymously yet again, I realize I would love to chat with other parents whose children are considering the same colleges my son is considering.  He was very lucky in the admissions game this year, garnering acceptances to Harvard early action, Yale, Columbia as a John Jay Scholar, Berklee college of music with merit aid, and UNC with a full-ride scholarship.  His dream is the new Harvard-Berklee dual degree program (BA from Harvard and Master's from Berklee), but he won't hear about the joint program until next Friday.  If any of your kids are considering these schools or attending these schools, I'd love to hear from you!

• Like 23

This thought is what goes through my head every time I see a link or a post with lists about the top schools, like the one about the feeders to grad schools. Yay for the schools on the list but, by gosh and by golly, those aren't the only schools whose students go to grad school. I (we) already have enough pressure thinking about fit, finances, tribe and degree...there is too much pressure at every turn. DS is a sophomore this year and I am still experiencing anxiety over the school he chose to attend and whether or not he'll be employable, get the right internship, meet the right people for recommendations, make the right professional connections...it's too much at times. When do these kids (and their parents) get to enjoy the fruits of their labor? Why must every decision be qualifiable?

I don't know if you have ever read any of my posts where I state emphatically that the reason for our homeschool's success is that I am 99.99% stubborn-- it is the truth!  Likewise, I am absolutely 100% a non-believer in the necessity of elite school for defining future success.  I had never heard of Malcolm Gladwell until Hoggirl mentioned him on here a few years ago, but he affirms what I already believed: kids that forge their own paths and shine at their school will be successful.  He quantifies it as Big Fish in a Little Pond.  Whatever you want to call it, kids who take ownership over their future and seek out every opportunity they can find will know their professors; their professors will know them; they will be fine even if they are at a lower ranked school.

It has been true for my older kids. Oldest ds has a fabulous career as a chemE. CBH has been great for ds at Bama.  McNair at USC offers numerous benefits for UG research and internships.  Zero qualms embracing the 100s ranked schools that want to offer top students special opportunities (with scholarships on top!!)  

• Like 11

Thank you.  We were a bit stunned by all of this.

I want to underline what 8FillTheHeart says: "Kids who take ownership over their future and seek out every opportunity they can find will know their professors; their professors will know them; they will be fine."  Homeschooling is such perfect training for students to expect real relationships with the people who guide them--and that will allow them to take full advantage of whatever college choices they make.

HodgesSchool!!! Wow! What a amazing list! So super exciting for your son. Congrats to both of you. Keep us updated.

Edited by HodgesSchool
  • Like 7

HodgesSchool, congratulations to your son (and much luck as he makes his final decision!)

Are finances an issue for you? Were you offered much aid at Harvard/Yale/Columbia? It sounds like he loves the idea of Harvard, and getting the advanced degree at Berklee sounds amazing. I assume the scholarship at UNC is part of a program with special opportunities for the scholars?

I don't have experience with those schools, but my daughter had a similar choice to make last year, with a full ride (that came with special opportunities) at Ga Tech and admissions to Princeton and Dartmouth (which she loved less for the education and more for the setting; she is a snow/mountain girl.) She was also considering a full tuition off at Messiah College in Pennsylvania (that school was a distant fourth though, because it was going to be much more expensive than the other three.)The final decision was painful, actually! But she went with Princeton (I should add that we qualified for significant aid there, so although it wasn't entirely a full ride, it came to about $6000/year, all told.) Her decision in the end was based on a lack of certainty about her major (probably engineering but possibly not; Princeton offered more flexibility in switching), and a preference for Princeton's setting over Ga Tech's urban environment. Dartmouth fell off because the engineering was not as good as Princeton's and would likely take 5 years.

I hope your son can figure out his path.

• Like 4

DS found out today that he was accepted to Stanford.

I'm pretty much in shock.

There is a very real possibility that we won't be able to swing it financially, but how incredible that he was accepted.

Wow, congratulations! That is great news. Happy for you.

DS found out today that he was accepted to Stanford.

I'm pretty much in shock.

There is a very real possibility that we won't be able to swing it financially, but how incredible that he was accepted.

WOOT, WOOT, WOOT!!!!!

Congratulations!! I truly understand about cost but certainly hope you can swing it!

And it is incredible - here are this year's stats:

http://news.stanford.edu/2017/03/31/offers-admission-2050-students-around-world/

• Like 5

WOOT, WOOT, WOOT!!!!!

Congratulations!! I truly understand about cost but certainly hope you can swing it!

http://news.stanford.edu/2017/03/31/offers-admission-2050-students-around-world/

Ditto this. Huge congrats!

• Like 1

Although I was hesitant to post since I have not participated in any real way on this forum for quite a while, I've enjoyed reading the posts here since my son was in kindergarten and I've learned very much from y'all along the way.  Now as I poke around this list anonymously yet again, I realize I would love to chat with other parents whose children are considering the same colleges my son is considering.  He was very lucky in the admissions game this year, garnering acceptances to Harvard early action, Yale, Columbia as a John Jay Scholar, Berklee college of music with merit aid, and UNC with a full-ride scholarship.  His dream is the new Harvard-Berklee dual degree program (BA from Harvard and Master's from Berklee), but he won't hear about the joint program until next Friday.  If any of your kids are considering these schools or attending these schools, I'd love to hear from you!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Your DS has some big decisions to make.  Congrats.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

4.65% on average (this will differ some once ED and regular are separated out, but it won't be wildly different).

I think of stats like these whenever someone tries to say our college system will implode due to costs.  That might happen for extremely low rated schools, but I certainly can't see it happening in general.

ETA:  Even youngest son's LAC has seen a pretty big upswing in students applying and attending (yield).  It's been pushing their housing capability to the extreme so the Powers that Be there are debating what to do regarding acceptance numbers in the future.  This has happened at middle son's school too, but that's more understandable with them being Top 30.  Youngest's school is ranked 100(something).

Colleges have shown no signs of imploding that I've seen - aside from some specific schools that are losing appeal.  Either that, or my guys have been trend setters attending "up and coming" schools.  ;)

Edited by creekland

Thanks, Attolia and Gr8lander!  As is probably clear from my son's college list, he is a city boy. 

All three schools are financially possible for us--given the colleges' commitments to meet demonstrated need.  Although I know the formula does not work out for everyone, we're set as far as money goes.  H, Y, or C would be more expensive than UNC with scholarship--but all three are choices we can live with.  We feel very fortunate for that.

We'll keep you informed.  Thanks for all the support!

HodgesSchool, congratulations to your son (and much luck as he makes his final decision!)

Are finances an issue for you? Were you offered much aid at Harvard/Yale/Columbia? It sounds like he loves the idea of Harvard, and getting the advanced degree at Berklee sounds amazing. I assume the scholarship at UNC is part of a program with special opportunities for the scholars?

I don't have experience with those schools, but my daughter had a similar choice to make last year, with a full ride (that came with special opportunities) at Ga Tech and admissions to Princeton and Dartmouth (which she loved less for the education and more for the setting; she is a snow/mountain girl.) She was also considering a full tuition off at Messiah College in Pennsylvania (that school was a distant fourth though, because it was going to be much more expensive than the other three.)The final decision was painful, actually! But she went with Princeton (I should add that we qualified for significant aid there, so although it wasn't entirely a full ride, it came to about $6000/year, all told.) Her decision in the end was based on a lack of certainty about her major (probably engineering but possibly not; Princeton offered more flexibility in switching), and a preference for Princeton's setting over Ga Tech's urban environment. Dartmouth fell off because the engineering was not as good as Princeton's and would likely take 5 years.

I hope your son can figure out his path.

• Like 5

4.65% on average (this will differ some once ED and regular are separated out, but it won't be wildly different).

I think of stats like these whenever someone tries to say our college system will implode due to costs. That might happen for extremely low rated schools, but I certainly can't see it happening in general.

Idk if they will separate them out (as an aside, Stanford is Restricted Early Action, not Early Decision - akin to Single Choice Early Action). This year they didn't release the number they had taken in REA until they announced the regular decisions yesterday. This year and last they have taken in the 700s for REA. Prior to that it was in the 500s. So they have been extending more offers in REA than they did historically. However, since it's a variant of early action, those offers don't have to be accepted. Last year was also the first year they did not release their yield, though that can be roughly determined from the Common Data Set. It was around 82%. I know two local students who were accepted last year who went elsewhere: one to Princeton (he was a double legacy and was accepted there SCEA) and one (a homeschooler - yay!) to Carnegie Mellon. Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 3

He was very lucky in the admissions game this year, garnering acceptances to Harvard early action, Yale, Columbia as a John Jay Scholar, Berklee college of music with merit aid, and UNC with a full-ride scholarship.  

This is a nice surprise for me. I've always had feeling that Yale is one of those not-so-homeschooler-friendly schools. Way to go!

• Like 4

Life is too short and too precious and the world is way too big and too beautiful to narrow the only worthwhile paths down to a few. Our approach to the high school years....

Work hard, play hard, plan well, be true to yourself, and see where life takes you.

LOVE this!!  Thank you!

• Like 2

Yep, we thought the same thing before this year.  We know of another homeschooler in our area admitted to Yale this year as well!

This is a nice surprise for me. I've always had feeling that Yale is one of those not-so-homeschooler-friendly schools. Way to go!

Edited by HodgesSchool
  • Like 1

DD received the full tuition scholarship at Furman.  We are super excited for her but she can't take it :(  She loves that school and if it was a full ride she would take it in a heart beat, but full tuition there is still a higher bottom line than all of our other options (unless something comes through that we don't expect).  Full need met schools have been a much better way for us than slightly lower school with great merit aid. This is their biggest scholarship and they only chose 8 kids but it will still be higher  :(

ETA:  I feel so guilty for dd to turn it down because they love her so much.  Her admission's counselor really pulled for her in this.  She is fairly new, from our area, and loves homeschoolers and was really pulling for dd and another homeschooler who was finalist for their other scholarship.  This shouldn't be so emotional, right?

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 9

{{hugs}} @Attolia

That was one of the two biggest shocks for us last year.

1st was that our in-state universities were going to cost MORE for dd1 than out of state when all was said and done.

And 2nd was that even when she received amazing full-tuition scholarships, the bottom-dollar was still too much sometimes. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢

• Like 2

Attolia, can you go back to them with that info, and tell them what you have been offered other places?  Maybe there is something additional they can do?  If they really want her, it seems like it couldn't hurt.  I have read other posters say they have gone back to a school with additional info based on the offers from other schools, and they were suddenly able to offer more aid.

• Like 2

Attolia, Dd felt that way about a couple of schools and scholarships she turned down. She had a great rapport with the admissions officer and felt bad about telling her/him she wouldn't be attending. She did write personal notes to each of those AOs thanking them for supporting her application and that it was hard to make the decision that she did. Sh always told them it was bc financially it was hard for her to turn down attending on full-scholarship. They wrote her back nice replies.

Her dad's motto, "Never burn bridges."

• Like 3

Its been a journey.  

right now, it looks as if she is Berkeley bound.  

wait listed at stanford (so sad - she has wanted to go since she was 4),

accepted at Cornell, UPenn, and Wellesley (but not at Harvard, Princeton, Yale)

accepted at UC Berkeley College of Chemistry, UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UCLA, UC San Diego.... but for some reason, not accepted at UC Santa Barbara.

accepted at Cal States for Music, for Chemistry, etc, etc.

hoping she loves berkeley on cal day!

ann

• Like 25

We received wonderful news last night! Dd has been named a 1693 Scholar at William & Mary!! Full tuition, fees, room, board, $5000 research stipend, fund for lunch with professors, etc.! :party:

Basically they are saying they want your dd so badly, they are paying her to attend!  Good for her!   :hurray:

• Like 6

Grace received her call today from OSU offering her the OSU Eminence Fellowship.  Full COA with a phenomenal group of high stat students (25 out of about 8000 students) with a philanthropic bent!!!! All expenses paid.  Last fall, she said she wanted either this or Vandy scholarship.  We feel so blessed and humbled that she has been offered both. We are still processing it.  

I just want to thank all of you veteran homeschool moms on the boards whose advice I have read and benefited from.  I am so grateful for all of you.  Kathy in Richmond, in particular, you have been so kind and encouraging to me for years!!!!  You inspire me! 8Fill, you are amazing!  JeaninNewcastle, Creekland, Nan in Mass, I have read your posts, and you are nothing short of amazing. This board just has an amazing group of amazing homeschooling parents. I just feel so grateful for everything coming together and for the advice I have read on the boards.  With Grace being my first, you just never know if what you did was the right thing. 

Thank you so much to all of you amazing moms.  You are all part of the success our kids enjoy as we learn from your experience and wisdom! I am so grateful for these boards and for all of you who care enough to impart your wisdom to those of us who follow in your wake.

• Like 27

We received wonderful news last night! Dd has been named a 1693 Scholar at William & Mary!! Full tuition, fees, room, board, $5000 research stipend, fund for lunch with professors, etc.! :party:

Whoa, Elise, that is terrific!!

And, Gratia, congrats to your daughter as well! Will look forward to hearing her final decision.

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 3

Congrats to Gratia and Elise and your daughters! :hurray: :hurray: :party: !!!  So many reasons to celebrate today!!

Elise, how amazing to win a full ride to William & Mary! I'm in VA, and I've never, ever heard of that happening!!

Gratia, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes for Grace! I'm so, so very happy (but not at all surprised) that she won the Eminence Fellowship!!

• Like 10

Grace received her call today from OSU offering her the OSU Eminence Fellowship.  Full COA with a phenomenal group of high stat students (25 out of about 8000 students) with a philanthropic bent!!!! All expenses paid.  Last fall, she said she wanted either this or Vandy scholarship.  We feel so blessed and humbled that she has been offered both. We are still processing it.  

:party:

• Like 1

• Like 2

Gratia, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes for Grace! I'm so, so very happy (but not at all surprised) that she won the Eminence Fellowship!!

Thanks so much, Kathy! You have been such a wonderful support and encouragement to me! You are such a pivotal part of Grace's story in getting here in kindly advising me (who knew very little). I thank God for you! :)

• Like 5

Over the last couple of days:

Declined by University of Chicago and Washington University in St Louis

Accepted by University of Washington and College of the Holy Cross.

I woke up today with much on my mind and one of those items was this post.  I wanted to say thank you to Sebastian for sharing this, for those who haven't gone through the admissions process yet this is actually a huge statement and one that should help you frame how you look at the outcome of various applications.

I've never been a fan of the word "reject" as being the automatic opposite of "accept".  I think, as Sebastian put it, "decline" is more accurate in many cases.  So much of the emotional burden of senior year hinges on those infamous thin and thick envelopes and it is important to remember that not receiving an acceptance letter does not equal being rejected by or deemed unworthy of a particular institution.  There isn't always a way to determine what the decision was based upon but in no way should a student allow those letters to taint their acceptances or make them feel unworthy of all the good news they have received.

I had a lot of applause in my head for this post this morning with all those other things on my mind.  Homeschooled kids aren't perfect.  Among all the wonderful acceptances to schools and names of scholarships won listed here, there are some less exciting results happening behind the scenes.  WTM Board kids will get both thin and thick envelopes every year and when researching homeschooling high school and what the outcomes might be I'd hate to have anyone think that our college bound kids are all only receiving positive news.  

This is a brave post, one that my own kids would probably beg me never to write-a request I would of course honor, but a post that while subtle in its wording is full of an important reminder for parent educators of soon to be seniors.  Homeschoolers are admitted to great schools every year, nationally ranked schools and small local schools, schools carefully chosen by that student and their family at which they will receive an education and wonderful life experience.  Homeschoolers also have admissions departments around the country narrowing their options for them by declining admission.  We are not immune to that experience. 

Thank you!  It is a healthy reminder that is full of realism.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst
  • Like 18

I woke up today with much on my mind and one of those items was this post.  I wanted to say thank you to Sebastian for sharing this, for those who haven't gone through the admissions process yet this is actually a huge statement and one that should help you frame how you look at the outcome of various applications.

I've never been a fan of the word "reject" as being the automatic opposite of "accept".  I think, as Sebastian put it, "decline" is more accurate in many cases.  So much of the emotional burden of senior year hinges on those infamous thin and thick envelopes and it is important to remember that not receiving an acceptance letter does not equal being rejected by or deemed unworthy of a particular institution.  There isn't always a way to determine what the decision was based upon but in no way should a student allow those letters to taint their acceptances or make them feel unworthy of all the good news they have received.

I had a lot of applause in my head for this post this morning with all those other things on my mind.  Homeschooled kids aren't perfect.  Among all the wonderful acceptances to schools and names of scholarships won listed here, there are some less exciting results happening behind the scenes.  WTM Board kids will get both thin and thick envelopes every year and when researching homeschooling high school and what the outcomes might be I'd hate to have anyone think that our college bound kids are all only receiving positive news.  

This is a brave post, one that my own kids would probably beg me never to write-a request I would of course honor, but a post that while subtle in its wording is full of an important reminder for parent educators of soon to be seniors.  Homeschoolers are admitted to great schools every year, nationally ranked schools and small local schools, schools carefully chosen by that student and their family at which they will receive an education and wonderful life experience.  Homeschoolers also have admissions departments around the country narrowing their options for them by declining admission.  We are not immune to that experience. 

Thank you!  It is a healthy reminder that is full of realism.

Thanks for those thoughts.  I wanted to include the schools that had turned him down, because sometimes it is so crushing to get the turn down letter.  Fortunately for my son, neither WU nor UChicago were schools that he'd pinned much hope on.  On the other hand, the turn down from the Naval Academy and the radio silence from Navy ROTC have stung a bit more.  

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for.  The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent.  I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom.  Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in.  It reminds me of when my kids were younger and I hated to watch Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader with them.  Every question they got wrong seemed freighted with a failure on my part.  What do you mean, you don't know the elements in water or that a frog isn't a reptile?  Ack, that must be my fault.  

Hang in there everyone.  Your college sweatshirt does not dictate your value as a person.  Not having a college sweatshirt does not mean you are less worthy as a citizen, neighbor or friend.  My college bound senior has as a major role model one of young guys who helps with youth group.  He is a journeyman sheet metal worker, with numerous clever side gigs.  My son is constantly in awe of how this young man is a big brother to everyone in the group and is so capable.  They were doing a work day at Fisher House a few months back and the swing set there was broken.  Our friend pulled his welding equipment out of his car and fixed it in about 15 minutes.  That really impressed my son.

• Like 23

Thanks for those thoughts. I wanted to include the schools that had turned him down, because sometimes it is so crushing to get the turn down letter. Fortunately for my son, neither WU nor UChicago were schools that he'd pinned much hope on. On the other hand, the turn down from the Naval Academy and the radio silence from Navy ROTC have stung a bit more.

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for. The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent. I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom. Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in. It reminds me of when my kids were younger and I hated to watch Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader with them. Every question they got wrong seemed freighted with a failure on my part. What do you mean, you don't know the elements in water or that a frog isn't a reptile? Ack, that must be my fault.

Hang in there everyone. Your college sweatshirt does not dictate your value as a person. Not having a college sweatshirt does not mean you are less worthy as a citizen, neighbor or friend. My college bound senior has as a major role model one of young guys who helps with youth group. He is a journeyman sheet metal worker, with numerous clever side gigs. My son is constantly in awe of how this young man is a big brother to everyone in the group and is so capable. They were doing a work day at Fisher House a few months back and the swing set there was broken. Our friend pulled his welding equipment out of his car and fixed it in about 15 minutes. That really impressed my son.

What a wonderful post, Sebastian. Sending both you and your ds supportive thoughts for the harder outcomes. I think you already know based on his acceptances that you did everything right. It is all part of the building a class and what they are looking for mojo that is not under your control.

Sorry for the ROTC silence. I imagine that is extremely hard for your ds.

• Like 3

Thanks for those thoughts.  I wanted to include the schools that had turned him down, because sometimes it is so crushing to get the turn down letter.  Fortunately for my son, neither WU nor UChicago were schools that he'd pinned much hope on.  On the other hand, the turn down from the Naval Academy and the radio silence from Navy ROTC have stung a bit more.  

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for.  The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent.  I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom.  Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in. 

For what it is worth, my daughter greatly enjoyed meeting your son in Boston.  She said the greatest thing about him was not his AMAZING academics but that he was such a nice guy.  That is such a rare combination.  I just wanted you to know how impressed other people are with him, not just for his incredible mind but for the quality person he is! We both really hope for the best for you both and will keep you in our thoughts.

• Like 6

For what it is worth, my daughter greatly enjoyed meeting your son in Boston.  She said the greatest thing about him was not his AMAZING academics but that he was such a nice guy.  That is such a rare combination.  I just wanted you to know how impressed other people are with him, not just for his incredible mind but for the quality person he is! We both really hope for the best for you both and will keep you in our thoughts.

Aw shucks.

He was really delighted to meet your daughter too.  He said she was a way better Latin student than he was.  I thought it was cool that two kids from the same online course were there at the same weekend.  

• Like 5

Sebastian, wonderful posts. Your son is a perfect example of how unpredictable this process can be. A "yes" from Stanford and a "no" from the Naval Academy and ROTC...just odd how this goes. How could you possibly have predicted where the acceptances and rejections would come from?

We've got examples like that in my last daughter's college app journey too.

• Like 3

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for.  The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent.  I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom.  Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in.  It reminds me of when my kids were younger and I hated to watch Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader with them.  Every question they got wrong seemed freighted with a failure on my part.  What do you mean, you don't know the elements in water or that a frog isn't a reptile?  Ack, that must be my fault.  

Hang in there everyone.  Your college sweatshirt does not dictate your value as a person.  Not having a college sweatshirt does not mean you are less worthy as a citizen, neighbor or friend.  My college bound senior has as a major role model one of young guys who helps with youth group.  He is a journeyman sheet metal worker, with numerous clever side gigs.  My son is constantly in awe of how this young man is a big brother to everyone in the group and is so capable.  They were doing a work day at Fisher House a few months back and the swing set there was broken.  Our friend pulled his welding equipment out of his car and fixed it in about 15 minutes.  That really impressed my son.

Beautifully stated. Last years' college-search has made me especially enjoy this year of reprieve. DD2 will be a junior next year, so we'll be back on that emotional roller coaster once again (test prep, college search, etc). If I think about it too long, I am honestly terrified. All that self-doubt, anxiety, worry... ugh. I do not look forward to that again.

• Like 2

Aw shucks.

He was really delighted to meet your daughter too.  He said she was a way better Latin student than he was.  I thought it was cool that two kids from the same online course were there at the same weekend.  

LOL! She is a self-proclaimed nerd of languages. :) 

• Like 1

Exactly! This is much of what I was trying, with much less elegance and success, to get at.  

Application and scholarship results are unpredictable and often make no logical sense from our side of the action.  I think the kids represented here on the board have some wonderful successes but are not immune from less than positive results.

Too often we, the parent educators, take that as a personal hit and reflection on our own success.  Our kids also feel it and wonder what they did wrong.  Together we wonder if homeschooling was a success and how this all reflects on the reputation of homeschoolers in general.  We, parents and kids, together have a huge personal investment in the educational process and the results it produces.  For those of us with multiple kids we repeat this process over again with each child.  With each new experience comes new celebrations and new frustrations as unique as the individuals involved.  As Sebastian pointed out, those thick and thin envelops are not a statement on your worth as a human being or a predictor of what your life will become down the road.  

As kids make exciting choices this month and get ready to head off to colleges, jobs, internships, and other opportunities we should be celebrating the commencement of the next phase of their lives and proud of how we've prepared them to face the challenges ahead.

The college application process is fraught with frustrations; some based on acceptance rates, some based on scholarship results, and some based on finding the best financial path forward.  There is elation and disappointment.  It is important to remember there will be both.

I'm jumping back on the college crazy train later this month with my son-a totally different set of goals, academic and career plans, and desires than the first kid I helped through the process.  Time to review transcripts, write new course descriptions, gather financial info, research schools and scholarships. We will have challenges, good news and bad news, and some tense moments in the next year. At the end he will have a plan forward for the future and at this point I can't tell what that will be but he'll have one.

In the meantime, congratulations to the WTMBoards Class of 2017 and their families-such amazing opportunities lie ahead!  You all have so very much to be proud of and celebrate looking at these lists.

• Like 9