Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

Can he submit some more LOR's for his wait list school?

He is keeping both waitlist schools up on his accomplishments and additional shadowing/volunteer hours and letting them know he is super interested in attending should he get the chance.  Both waitlist schools had asked for (and received) the additional LORs already.

But getting a chance will require someone who is already accepted opting to go elsewhere - esp for MSTP.

My kids' college has a high acceptance rate for medical schools, and the students give all the credit to the person in charge of preparing them for applying for admissions, who says the only time to stop applying is when you decide you do not want to be a doctor after all. Your son's story shows the importance of good advising. I would say that is as important as a school's acceptance rate, which will vary from year to year for lots of reasons. 

Since your family has lost confidence in the med school advising at your son's school (for good reason), I was wondering if there were private medical school application consultants like there are for undergraduate admissions. I did a random search and found there is such a thing if your son wants an outside opinion on what to do next. In that search, this article caught my eye.  https://www.noodle.com/articles/rebounding-from-medical-school-rejections  It seems like good advice on whether or not to reapply. The article mentions that some med schools will offer feedback on their applications to applicants who did not get into the school . Since your son is a top applicant from the college that accompanies a med school, it seems he would definitely be able to get feedback, directly or indirectly. 

P.S. The students who I know in medical school right now do not have doctors in their families, so it is definitely possible.

Good advising is absolutely important (sigh).  URoc will only give applicants two committee letters.  Obviously he used one this year.  He can only apply one other time.  If he doesn't make it in then, he's sunk (aside from Caribbean options I would think).

There definitely are far better schools to choose if one is going pre-med IME.

He will be looking for feedback.  I sent him the article you linked (and suggested checking with an outside consultant).  He's already emailed me back thanking me and telling me it was useful - so I'm passing that thanks on to you!

(((Creekland))) 

Having met your son, I am absolutely astounded by your post.  Your Ds is a personable, intelligent young man, and ANY med school would be most fortunate to have him.

Our oldest Ds received bad advising, or rather a lack of good advising, at VT, and it left us feeling betrayed.  He is doing very well in his career, but it left us with a bad taste in our mouth for the school.  If any of our children went there we would be more hands-on with helping them.  The UR med app advising is ten times worse.  I can't even imagine. 

I hope your son does not let go of his dream because of this roadblock.  He will make an EXCELLENT doctor.

Sorry to hear about VT... esp VT.   :sad:

Time will tell what my guy decides for his future.  He's planning on talking with the doctors he's shadowed and asking some of the med schools if they'll provide feedback, so he hasn't given up yet.  He just has a ton going through his mind (understandably).

• Like 2

Our oldest Ds received bad advising, or rather a lack of good advising, at VT, and it left us feeling betrayed. 

Good advising is absolutely important (sigh).  URoc will only give applicants two committee letters.  Obviously he used one this year.  He can only apply one other time.  If he doesn't make it in then, he's sunk (aside from Caribbean options I would think).

For those of us with DC just starting college, any advice?  How can you know if their undergraduate choice has good advising?  I know it makes a huge difference and that is why I am concerned about where DD goes to school for undergrad.  I know sometimes kids in small, intimate liberal arts schools have a better chance at graduate programs because the schools knows them so well and can highlight them, etc.  ..... agh, this whole process makes me so nervous.

For example, she is hoping to get into Chapel Hill's honors program.  If DD does, will that help her on the advising end?  Such a large school makes me nervous when kids aren't plugged into a smaller unit (CH isn't her first choice but it is a solid safety financially, etc).  

Edited by Attolia

For those of us with DC just starting college, any advice?  How can you know if their undergraduate choice has good advising?  I know it makes a huge difference and that is why I am concerned about where DD goes to school for undergrad.  I know sometimes kids in small, intimate liberal arts schools have a better chance at graduate programs because the schools knows them so well and can highlight them, etc.  ..... agh, this whole process makes me so nervous.

For example, she is hoping to get into Chapel Hill's honors program.  If DD does, will that help her on the advising end?  Such a large school makes me nervous when kids aren't plugged into a smaller unit (CH isn't her first choice but it is a solid safety financially, etc).  

Thanks for posting this, as I was wondering the same thing as well.

A good friend's son went to OSU for undergrad and he was very happy with the advising he received with his medical school applications - I know that he did mock interviews with his advisor and had his essays reviewed - so I don't think the a larger school vs a smaller school is necessarily the issue.

I will be interested in reading responses as well as I still have one more kiddo to go through this process.

• Like 1

Creekland, thank you for sharing your son's experiences. I am one of the ones you gave glowing reviews of UR to, as my dd has it on her list. I appreciate the advice you have given here and will definitely take it all into consideration as dd continues working on a final list.

I know you said your son won't consider Caribbean schools. I have a friend whose son went to SLU undergrad, had very good stats, but also had trouble getting into med school. He ultimately ended up at Ross University in Dominica, I believe, and is now a very successful OB-GYN. I understand his reasons for not wanting to take that path, but if that is his passion it would be a shame to let that stand in his way of becoming a wonderful doctor.

I truly hope the best for your son and his future! It seems certain he will be a success at whatever he chooses to do.

• Like 1

For those of us with DC just starting college, any advice? How can you know if their undergraduate choice has good advising? I know it makes a huge difference and that is why I am concerned about where DD goes to school for undergrad. I know sometimes kids in small, intimate liberal arts schools have a better chance at graduate programs because the schools knows them so well and can highlight them, etc. ..... agh, this whole process makes me so nervous.

For example, she is hoping to get into Chapel Hill's honors program. If DD does, will that help her on the advising end? Such a large school makes me nervous when kids aren't plugged into a smaller unit (CH isn't her first choice but it is a solid safety financially, etc).

In terms of med school, there is an extremely vocal poster on CC who constantly reiterates that the biggest need for med school admissions (on top of the obvious need for very high GPA, strong science courses, etc) is a strong committee to help the UG. Anytime any poster states something along the lines of " but x school has a better reputation," she responds by asking " but do they have a better med school committee?" I have only read them and then promptly ignored them bc med school is not the goal of any of my kids, but based on Creekland's ds's experience, her point should probably be underscored. It sounds like the committee is vital to admissions, especially wo a compelling hook.

In terms of engineering, we want to know how the school is viewed by industry, not the general population. It doesn't matter to us if the public at large views the school as having a strong engineering program, but whether industry views it as having a strong engineering program. Having strong recruitment for co-op positions means that industry respects their UG program. Knowing how the career placement office works with the university to support co-oping, career fairs, on-campus interviews, etc is also an indication as to how job placement is viewed. For example, I would run away from a school that charges students tuition or other fees during their co-op semesters (other than a single credit hour charge for "co-op" which keeps them considered enrolled full-time). I personally think that is a slimy practice bc the student is not consuming school resources. (I was floored the first time I heard that it was even a thing.) Universities that value student work-experience should do whatever they can to help students take those opportunities.

We also meet with depts during their sr yr of high school. We ask pointed questions about where and what their past couple of yrs of grads are doing, what sorts of opportunities exist within the dept for UG research, assistance for internships, etc. Our current college jr felt comfortable with the answers he was given by Bama's dept even though Bama is not highly ranked for physics. He will have an inordinate amt of UG research by the time he graduates as well as multiple grad level physics courses. (He has huge faculty support and mentoring.....big fish scenario.He currently attends the same meeting as the grad and post-docs with his research advisor.) He will be applying to grad school next yr, so we'll see how well it works out. So far, in terms of REU offers, he has been extremely well received as a strong applicant. Hopefully, that will translate to grad school committees as well. Only time will tell.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 4

Creekland, thank you for sharing your son's experiences. I am one of the ones you gave glowing reviews of UR to, as my dd has it on her list. I appreciate the advice you have given here and will definitely take it all into consideration as dd continues working on a final list.

I know you said your son won't consider Caribbean schools. I have a friend whose son went to SLU undergrad, had very good stats, but also had trouble getting into med school. He ultimately ended up at Ross University in Dominica, I believe, and is now a very successful OB-GYN. I understand his reasons for not wanting to take that path, but if that is his passion it would be a shame to let that stand in his way of becoming a wonderful doctor.

I truly hope the best for your son and his future! It seems certain he will be a success at whatever he chooses to do.

Here's a story that might inspire him. This doctor applied to 72 US medical schools and received zero acceptances, so he went to a foreign one. He's now making a huge difference to patients and doctors in training at one of New York's busiest and most diverse hospitals. Former classmates at medical school say that from the beginning he was a cut above the rest of them.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/05/13/every-disease-on-earth

Let your son know lots of WTM mommas are rooting for him!

• Like 10

For those of us with DC just starting college, any advice?  How can you know if their undergraduate choice has good advising?   

I've been thinking about this one myself - what did I miss?  How do I share my knowledge in a useful way to the students I teach at school who are choosing among colleges?  I admit, there's no easy answer as EVERY school will tell you they do a good job and EVERY school can point to students who succeed.  It's tough to figure out if students succeeded due to decent advising - or decent hooks - or prior knowledge of what to do themselves.

With med school I'm going to boil it down to acceptance rates even if that, itself, can be hurtful to those who don't make the cut at places that have bars (one can't apply unless they have great stats).  Of course, if students have a hook (doctor in the family, first gen, under represented minority of some sort, etc) then I don't think it matters so much, but for kids like my guy with no hooks at all - just great stats, but plain ole WASP from a middle class family - a high acceptance rate likely would have shown us that a school has really good respect from med schools and advising to get there.  A lower acceptance rate (like URoc's) seems to just show that hooked students can get in.

Thanks for posting this, as I was wondering the same thing as well.

A good friend's son went to OSU for undergrad and he was very happy with the advising he received with his medical school applications - I know that he did mock interviews with his advisor and had his essays reviewed - so I don't think the a larger school vs a smaller school is necessarily the issue.

I will be interested in reading responses as well as I still have one more kiddo to go through this process.

URoc had what seemed to be a decent Pre-med advising group.  My son did mock interviews and went to several information sessions from freshman year on.  They read through and approved of his application - all of it.  He had a strong committee letter giving him their highest recommendation.

But someone missed with the source of the LORS - AND/OR - they aren't all that respected as an undergrad by med schools themselves.  It could be the latter.  I don't know.  I just know it's something.

A quick look at just the google search page says that their med school acceptance rate is around 69%.  I don't know how many of those go Caribbean (or if that counts).  I know it all seemed good enough for me, but the real world (now that we're experiencing it) seems terribly different.  They don't say how many of those 69% have hooks, or rather, how many of the 39% didn't.  Some schools have 80 - 100% acceptance rate.  I wish we had chosen one of those in hindsight.  My guy would have done well anywhere he went to undergrad.  He'd have missed out on some research opportunities if he'd chosen elsewhere, but there may have been others he'd have enjoyed just as much.

I know URoc is off my "recommended list" for kids at school.  I will definitely no longer wear my college T shirt or Sweatshirt there on "casual days" when many teachers advertise favorite schools.  I'll freely admit anger is fueling a bit of that.  I'm human and mama bears don't like to see their cubs hurt - esp when it's not the cub's fault and he's done so much to represent the school (positively) over the past 5 years.  Not getting into their own med school was the final straw.

'Tis his decision.  If it were me, I'd go and not look back.  As I get older I have less and less patience with dumb systems, and what's happening here sure isn't helping.  The US needs doctors.  There are oodles of students who are qualified to be in med school - they've shown their ability in undergrad - but they don't get accepted.  Why isn't there more capacity (including residency spots later)?  Our country opts to spend billions on unnecessary things (won't get into specifics), yet things we all could use... those don't change.  They aren't important. :glare:

The Caribbean tends to accept all who apply (and weed out from there)?  Kudos to them!

Then too, I wish we'd picked a different state when we moved.  A good part of my guy's problem is not having a state school (or two) dedicated to educating state residents.  Kudos to states who have them.

Here's a story that might inspire him. This doctor applied to 72 US medical schools and received zero acceptances, so he went to a foreign one. He's now making a huge difference to patients and doctors in training at one of New York's busiest and most diverse hospitals. Former classmates at medical school say that from the beginning he was a cut above the rest of them.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/05/13/every-disease-on-earth

Let your son know lots of WTM mommas are rooting for him!

Thanks for that story.  I've bookmarked it and will hang on to it until my guy's spring break in March.  That way it won't look like I'm pushing him too much after he gave us his definitive no.  It's nice to know folks can succeed and be so well respected from other places.

I have let him know that plenty of people in my circle (IRL and on here) are hoping for him and support him.  He also is gaining a ton of support there from folks who have found out and gone WTH? :svengo:  The person in charge of where he volunteers for Hospice has made an appt to sit down with him so she can write out "exactly what he needs to succeed" rather than just write a "basic" LOR since "basic" sure doesn't seem to work (though she isn't one who wrote one before - he's gathering more sources).

Of course, I'm not sure he knows "exactly what he needs," but hopefully he can get outside assistance to help (we've offered to pay for it if he wants one).

I have no idea if any of this will be good enough TBH.  The lad has no hooks.  He's competing with many others pretty much like him.

With all due respect to Creekland ~

If I have missed any acceptance announcements, please let me know or post them on the List View thread. I went through these last couple of pages and I think I caught the acceptances that were posted.

As mentioned before, I don't want to derail this thread.  We just got off on the rabbit trail from a post I made thanking another for the good experience her student had changing paths.

I definitely LOVE the acceptance thread each year, so carry on as spring comes and more learn of acceptances!  Then good luck (seriously) picking the best school for the student.

• Like 2

As mentioned before, I don't want to derail this thread.  We just got off on the rabbit trail from a post I made thanking another for the good experience her student had changing paths.

<snip>

Oh, I know. I've been following along. I just want everyone to know that I am still looking through the thread and searching for those acceptance posts. :D

• Like 3

DD found out today that she has a nice scholarship at UNC Chapel Hill and they've invited her to join their scholars program.  I don't know what this means exactly, but it sounds impressive  :lol:   They said that only around 6% of students are offered scholarships.  

ETA:  Just after I posted this, she got her letter of acceptance to Honors Carolina.  

ETA2:  Today she got a letter inviting her into their Research Scholars program so she has a lot of thinking to do before she turns all of this down - Three very hard to get into groups have been handed to her.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 33

DD found out today that she has a nice scholarship at UNC Chapel Hill and they've invited her to join their scholars program.  I don't know what this means exactly, but it sounds impressive  :lol:   They said that only around 6% of students are offered scholarships.  This was already our most affordable school on calculators so yay!!!

LOL!  DD found out today she was admitted to Honors Carolina at Chapel Hill and also received merit scholarship. It's not likely she'll attend there, but it was nice to receive it. :)

ETA: Also received notice that she was awarded Research Scholar along with Honors Carolina

Edited by Gratia271
  • Like 24

Dd got a further award to Norwich today, which actually makes it the most affordable of all her acceptances! She put Norwich stickers on her computer last night...  :hurray:

I know Norwich.  One of my good friends from college dated a guy at Norwich (later married him) and I went there once for a formal dance.  I liked everyone there and had a great time (much more fun than at the West Point dance I went to. . ..)

I know that was a long.....................time ago, but I have such great memories of that school, I had to comment. LOL

• Like 4

Not something I would normally share, but since middle son has been a subject on here, I'm going to share something good that happened to him today and perked him up.  He got nominated for two campus awards (nominated by others - he has no idea who).

One is for:

the "student who has "made significant contributions to the community and experience of students living in undergraduate residence halls. This student, through their actions, leadership and innovation has promoted community through respect, fairness, and inclusion."

and the other is for:

"the member of the graduating class who has excelled in "wholesome, unselfish, and helpful influence" among their fellow students."

He said it's nice to know he's loved by a couple of someones out there (and actually two different folks nominated him for the first award).

It could be good for us (parents) to remember if/when our kids get rejections that there are others who love and appreciate them.  It felt good to hear my guy feeling better again.  Life can knock you down, but you get back up.

And honestly?  Reading what these awards are for and knowing a few someones think enough of my guy to nominate him makes a mama's heart very happy since the attributes I most want my son to be noticed and admired for is just like those descriptions, not any particular letters after his name.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 30

Not something I would normally share, but since middle son has been a subject on here, I'm going to share something good that happened to him today and perked him up. He got nominated for two campus awards (nominated by others - he has no idea who).

One is for:

the "student who has "made significant contributions to the community and experience of students living in undergraduate residence halls. This student, through their actions, leadership and innovation has promoted community through respect, fairness, and inclusion."

and the other is for:

"the member of the graduating class who has excelled in "wholesome, unselfish, and helpful influence" among their fellow students."

. :coolgleamA:

That's awesome. Glad your ds is feeling better. He is a great person and will make a wonderful doctor.
  • Like 1

Creekland, I asked my dad, who sat on a medical school admissions committee for ~30 years before he retired, what he thinks. He is quite shocked! He says it is common for people to re-apply and be accepted the following year, and that the view of the committee is usually that the student really wants to be there and they do not hold their previous rejection against them. Some students spend that year improving their portfolios, but he said your DS sounds great as-is. Just an FYI.

• Like 12

Creekland, FWIW, my best friend was also rejected from medical school when she first applied, way back when.  She went and got an MPH, reapplied, and was accepted to an excellent medical school.  She later got a very competitive residency and now directs a program at a major teaching hospital.  We've been friends forever and she was so demoralized by the rejection at the time, but in the long run it was really just the most minor of blips.  So tell your DS not to give up!

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 3

Creekland, I asked my dad, who sat on a medical school admissions committee for ~30 years before he retired, what he thinks. He is quite shocked! He says it is common for people to re-apply and be accepted the following year, and that the view of the committee is usually that the student really wants to be there and they do not hold their previous rejection against them. Some students spend that year improving their portfolios, but he said your DS sounds great as-is. Just an FYI.

Thanks.  I just sent both of these notes on to him this morning.  He was still pretty bummed when we talked with him (about using a private consultant) last night.

Creekland, FWIW, my best friend was also rejected from medical school when she first applied, way back when.  She went and got an MPH, reapplied, and was accepted to an excellent medical school.  She later got a very competitive residency and now directs a program at a major teaching hospital.  We've been friends forever and she was so demoralized by the rejection at the time, but in the long run it was really just the most minor of blips.  So tell your DS not to give up!

Ditto above comment.

On that note, if anyone has had positive experiences with private consultants (as there are many to choose from), can you send me a PM?  He's bummed that he needs to go that route, but he needs something for his application to stand out (and get interviews) since we can't add hooks to it and neither hubby nor I have experience with that sort of thing.  We had assumed his Pre-Med advising would do that, but...

Ironically, he called right after finishing an MCAT tutoring session.  He's good enough to tutor (for a firm) for the MCAT, but not good enough for his application to garner interviews.  :glare:

Ideal World vs Real World.  In the Real World hooks mean more than accomplishments (in many fields, not just med school applications).  Networking is often the best way to get jobs/acceptances/whatever.  One's accomplishments only carry so far.

• Like 2

(((Creekland))) many hugs to you and ds.

The news here is that honorary dd earned the additional $4000 per year at the Scholar's Summit at Alma. With her financial aid from having been in foster care for high school before we "adopted" her, a federal loan, and her grandparent contributions in addition to her initial half $20,000 scholarship, she can afford to attend.

So Alma it is, and she is flying high...well, when she is around. She calls and texts often, and tells us she loves us and I know she does. But she is spending a lot of time with her grandparents which is exactly what she needs and is best for her. However, I have to admit that I am still adjusting. She is doing fine in her online and DE classes to finish her year and doesn't need me. Entirely awesome for her, but with youngest ds only a year and half from leaving home, I am finding the need to seriously contemplate "what I want to be when I grow up" LOL and have defined myself by this parade of bio and couch kids for so long, I am having a hard time making a plan.

Anyway, things are going really great for her!

• Like 26

Ideal World vs Real World.  In the Real World hooks mean more than accomplishments (in many fields, not just med school applications).  Networking is often the best way to get jobs/acceptances/whatever.  One's accomplishments only carry so far.

Is this because there are just too many qualified people?  Why are hooks so important?  I know my foster brother got a very prestigious scholarship (full ride) because he had the hook of being in foster care, his parent's were druggies and in and out of jail, etc.  He interviews very well and he had a great GPA but his test scores were far less than you would expect for that sort of scholarship.  He doesn't test well.  period.

Edited by Attolia

Is this because there are just too many qualified people?  Why are hooks so important?  I know my foster brother got a very prestigious scholarship (full ride) because he had the hook of being in foster care, his parent's were druggies and in and out of jail, etc.  He interviews very well and he had a great GPA but his test scores were far less than you would expect for that sort of scholarship.  He doesn't test well.  period.

Yes.  In many fields (and for selective colleges or professional schools) there are oodles of qualified people.  One needs to stand out.

Why?  We're (all) human.  We want to give deserving people a break and hope they make it.  We want kids of our peers to do well.  I can totally understand why certain decisions get made and suggest many of us would make similar decisions if we were in similar spots.  It's hard to take notice of one person in a stack of many similar people if they don't have something that makes them stand out.

Middle son heard back from some med schools (as to why he didn't get interviews) and I put those results on the other thread rather than clutter this one.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/636122-college-search-considerations-beyond-the-obvious/

Be very wary when selecting a college.  URoc is a terrific school, esp for research, but their Pre-Med advising is horrible if one doesn't have hooks (including being a doctor's offspring) or is trying for MSTP.  If I'd have known then what I know now I'd have never turned over my guidance counselor role to those I thought were professionals.  I'd have studied to learn things - just as I did to be his college counselor - or we'd have paid for a real professional (as we are doing now) to get honest, real, advice.  What my guy was told was just plain wrong on a critical couple of pieces of info.  He went to the seminars (since freshman year).  He listened to what they said.  He made personal appts too and listened there.  Unfortunately, what he was told was incorrect - even last week's info.

Such is life.  We'll pick up and move on.  While he's really frustrated at what happened, he still loves his school and feels he got a great education.  I figured I'd best put that in there... it's one part of the organization that is the issue, not the overall place.

So the take away for all is to beware and don't be too trusting when something important is at stake.

• Like 2

DS has been accepted to the University of Denver (Chancellor Scholarship) and Earlham College (Presidential Honors Scholarship). He has also been accepted to the honors college at both Valparaiso University and the University of Oklahoma. 

DD has been accepted to the University of Redlands which is a small university here in California known for having a good music program. And she had her audition this weekend at IU's Jacobs School of Music. We are hoping to hear from them by April 1st on whether she got in or not. 

• Like 30

DD found out today that she has a nice scholarship at UNC Chapel Hill and they've invited her to join their scholars program.  I don't know what this means exactly, but it sounds impressive  :lol:   They said that only around 6% of students are offered scholarships.  

ETA:  Just after I posted this, she got her letter of acceptance to Honors Carolina.  

ETA2:  Today she got a letter inviting her into their Research Scholars program so she has a lot of thinking to do before she turns all of this down - Three very hard to get into groups have been handed to her.

OMG.  My daughter got her letter of acceptance to Honors and to the Research Scholars program too in the mail while we were gone!  She was really surprised that she was awarded both along with some merit scholarship.

• Like 26

My oldest was homeschooled K-9 and then went to private school for 10 - 12.  

He has been accepted to Cedarville University and to Centre College (both with partial scholarships).  We are still waiting to hear from one more - probably mid February.  

DS received his final acceptance from University of the South/ Sewanee with partial scholarship.  (Wish I could wave a magic wand for the completion of spring semester - he's ready to be done!)

• Like 26

Congrats! Has he decided? Centre and Sewanee are both on my dd's list.

No, he hasn't decided yet.  He'd like to visit them both (Centre and Sewanee) one more time.  Centre is pretty close to us (~45 min drive) and Sewanee is about a 4-5 hour drive.  He's favoring one of those over Cedarville because he prefers their English departments.  Are they your dd's top contenders?  

DS received his final acceptance from University of the South/ Sewanee with partial scholarship.  (Wish I could wave a magic wand for the completion of spring semester - he's ready to be done!)

My dh and I got engaged on the beautiful campus of Sewanee.  Neither of us went there.  We used to hike in the area pretty often and loved to visit the campus.  We had our favorite spot and that's where it happened  :001_wub:

Congrats to your ds!  It's a wonderful school!

• Like 1

No, he hasn't decided yet.  He'd like to visit them both (Centre and Sewanee) one more time.  Centre is pretty close to us (~45 min drive) and Sewanee is about a 4-5 hour drive.  He's favoring one of those over Cedarville because he prefers their English departments.  Are they your dd's top contenders?  

Honestly, I think Sewanee is falling down to the bottom of her list for fit reasons and would probably be unaffordable for us anyway. It's a lovely school though.

Furman is her top choice, but also likely will be unaffordable even with the generous merit aid she received.  She was not invited to the full tuition/full ride scholarship competition. :(

Centre is more affordable, and she was invited to apply for one of their full tuition scholarships. It will be early to mid-April before we get that decision. Her other top contenders are UGA and UA-H, both of which are completely different than the above schools, but are also completely affordable with automatic full tuition scholarships. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I think Sewanee is falling down to the bottom of her list for fit reasons and would probably be unaffordable for us anyway. It's a lovely school though.

My ds had Sewanee as his favorite almost the whole process. Such a pretty campus and neat place.  However, down the stretch it fell off because of fit and then even with merit aid it was one of his more expensive options.  Just saw your comment and it rang true for last year's college search for us.

• Like 1

My dh and I got engaged on the beautiful campus of Sewanee.  Neither of us went there.  We used to hike in the area pretty often and loved to visit the campus.  We had our favorite spot and that's where it happened  :001_wub:

Congrats to your ds!  It's a wonderful school!

We visited late summer/early fall - it is a beautiful campus!

Furman is her top choice, but also likely will be unaffordable even with the generous merit aid she received.  She was not invited to the full tuition/full ride scholarship competition. :(

Centre is more affordable, and she was invited to apply for one of their full tuition scholarships. It will be early to mid-April before we get that decision. Her other top contenders are UGA and UA-H, both of which are completely different than the above schools, but are also completely affordable with automatic full tuition scholarships. 

Sounds like some great choices!

• Like 1

DS was accepted to UC Berkeley (early announcement) and invited to apply for the Regents scholarship.

I wanted very much for this announcement to be a prime number post (and reason for post 310).

Thank you all SO much for your encouragement. We are beyond happy. Lots of tears were shed (by me).

Wonderful news! Congrats.

• Like 1

DS was accepted to UC Berkeley (early announcement) and invited to apply for the Regents scholarship.

I wanted very much for this announcement to be a prime number post (and reason for post 310).

Thank you all SO much for your encouragement. We are beyond happy. Lots of tears were shed (by me).

I'm so happy for you both! 

• Like 1

Congratulations quark & son!! Very happy for you!

Thank you Kathy! I cannot thank you enough for all of your encouragement throughout the years. The idea that after working so very hard, without giving himself a break for being younger, that he is one very important step closer to his dreams now...it makes me feel so happy-sniffly-gooey-mushy inside.  (more happy teary sniffles)

• Like 11

Such wonderful, happy news! Congratulations to you both!

• Like 1