Menu

S/O plane meltdown - animals in cabin?

luuknam

In the other thread some people mentioned dogs and cats traveling in airplane cabins. Are there any airlines that don't do that? We're having an intercontinental plane flight coming up in a few months, and I'm not looking forward to barking/meowing for 6+ hours.

• Like 1

One way to avoid animals on flights is to check websites and go with the airlines that charges the highest fee for animals in the cabin. I have encountered far more animals on the cheap flights - it seems like if people have to pay premium fees, they leave the animals at home.

Earplugs actually work goods for drowning out animals on planes - I have less luck drowning out crying kids, but the meows seems better muted.

• Like 2

I had no idea ANY animals were allowed on overseas flights in cabin! I thought they would all go as cargo, because you know, quarantine??

But now I see that most airlines I've used say no animals in cabin on that list, so good to know. Though we were thinking to try a new airline that is not on that list, so now I know to call and ask.

In the other thread some people mentioned dogs and cats traveling in airplane cabins. Are there any airlines that don't do that? We're having an intercontinental plane flight coming up in a few months, and I'm not looking forward to barking/meowing for 6+ hours.

I can't imagine anything worse.  If I'm stuck next to someone with a cat, there are going to be major issues.  Sorry, my right to breathe trumps your right to hold some animal.  Get a stuffed animal. 

• Like 7

Also, check major dog/cat show schedules. I once ended up on a flight where there was a 5 day dog show nearby. There were a LOT of carry on pooches (and baggage was seriously delayed because the live animals flying as cargo had to be unloaded first).

Hmm.  Good point.  Have to avoid those.   They are animals.  They should travel in crates in the storage area. 

Edited by TranquilMind

I can't imagine anything worse.  If I'm stuck next to someone with a cat, there are going to be major issues.  Sorry, my right to breathe trumps your right to hold some animal.  Get a stuffed animal. 

Just check the list I posted, choose right airline & confirm when booking. People want to travel with their animals & their money is just as valuable to the airlines.  Some people do cargo & some prefer in cabin (if their animals are small enough to fit in the carriers). 

• Like 4

Just check the list I posted, choose right airline & confirm when booking. People want to travel with their animals & their money is just as valuable to the airlines.  Some people do cargo & some prefer in cabin (if their animals are small enough to fit in the carriers). 

I want a house on the beach.  So what?  I don't care what they want if it impacts the breathing of others. 

• Like 5

so don't fly on a plane which carries live animals. It's really simple.

That's exactly like telling people to just find planes without smokers on them if cigarette smoke makes you sick, twelve years ago.

Pets are so weird already. Insisting they be in the cabin with you on a flight is so super bizarre.

I have pets, I'm invested in the weirdness. But it isSO weird that our species keeps others species just for fun n stuff :-D

Edited by OKBud

You have no right to quiet on the flight. They wont even follow osha noise protection rules if you end up next to an ear piercing screamer, because those rules only apply to the employee who has ear protection. Your best bet is bring your ear protectors and use them.

You have no right to quiet on the flight. They wont even follow osha noise protection rules if you end up next to an ear piercing screamer, because those rules only apply to the employee who has ear protection. Your best bet is bring your ear protectors and use them.

I'm aware. However, I have a right to figure out how to minimize my odds of having a noisy flight, and picking an airline that does not transport animals in the cabin is definitely within my rights. Then and again, I *could* just pick any random flight and throw a tantrum over a pet, since that's perfectly legal too (so long as I don't pose an actual threat). And I'm allergic to anything with fur and feathers too - probably not bad enough for a cat stashed away on the other end of the plane, but it depends on the individual animal. Some cats are bad, bad, bad.

LOL! I agree with you right up to service animals--and I am NOT referring to the pseudo-service animals that are all over the place right now. I mean genuine disability dogs.

I was on a flight with my kids (they were little) and there were 3 service dogs on the flight. Two were guide dogs for the blind and the other was a mobility dog (I think the lady had CP). One dude threw a fit at the gate counter. For various reasons, including he was allergic, he couldn't be on a flight with a dog and he demanded that they be put on a different flight. It didn't happen and the dude gripped and complained the entire 4-hour flight. 

Kris

My old dearly departed Bear had a funny plane story. 

He came from a northern village which is accessible by float plane only & it took extra time to get his flight arranged because he was a big newf x  so the small float plane couldn't take him & we had to wait until the weekly flight of the Grumman Goose had room to take him (they donate the flights to the rescue when there's space on board.) 

Anyway, the day finally arrives, the weather cooperates, the fog doesn't ground everyone, & Bear was loaded up in a proper flight approved kennel by a volunteer at that end.

There is no separate cargo space on these planes so the dog crate was just appropriately stashed in the main area. 

Bear thought the flight was ok but would be waaaay better if he could see & he didn't like being in the crate; so he busted out of his crate (broke a tooth in the process) and happily moseyed on up to the pilot while drooling blood all over. He was stinky & dirty & matted but quite a charmer & the pilot, crew and passengers just dealt with him wandering around.  

• Like 7

LOL! I agree with you right up to service animals--and I am NOT referring to the pseudo-service animals that are all over the place right now. I mean genuine disability dogs.

I was on a flight with my kids (they were little) and there were 3 service dogs on the flight. Two were guide dogs for the blind and the other was a mobility dog (I think the lady had CP). One dude threw a fit at the gate counter. For various reasons, including he was allergic, he couldn't be on a flight with a dog and he demanded that they be put on a different flight. It didn't happen and the dude gripped and complained the entire 4-hour flight. 

Kris

Right.  Everyone and his brother is trying to pass off a pet these days as an "emotional support animal" to get around fees in housing and all kinds of restrictions everywhere.  So over it.

Normally, they are dogs, so at least I am not forced to stop breathing in their presence. 

I hope the guy didn't have to sit next to the three dogs.  I understand that they want to go places but allergies are just too life-threatening to be ignored. 

My parents' dog used to make the transatlantic flight frequently. He was small, there was a weight limit.

I have a former colleague whose therapist gave him a note and he can take his (larger) dog on domestic flights.

Read this and LOL :) http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed

That picture of the lady standing there at the counter with her alpaca is hilarious.    Check out the guy on the right taking a photo on his cell phone.  ha ha

This sentence is the best:

"No such restrictions apply to service dogs, which, like Secret Service agents and Betty White, are allowed to go anywhere."

That whole article is so funny!

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 2

I'm aware. However, I have a right to figure out how to minimize my odds of having a noisy flight, and picking an airline that does not transport animals in the cabin is definitely within my rights. Then and again, I *could* just pick any random flight and throw a tantrum over a pet, since that's perfectly legal too (so long as I don't pose an actual threat). And I'm allergic to anything with fur and feathers too - probably not bad enough for a cat stashed away on the other end of the plane, but it depends on the individual animal. Some cats are bad, bad, bad.

Oh, do share. How do you reduce your odds of not being on a noisy flight? And dont say avoid children, I have taken enough flights to Orlando to know a plane half full of excited children does not have to be a sensory overload experience.

Me too.  That would end up in a medical situation, all because some person can't leave Fluffy home. 

Often if people are moving, etc no, they can't leave the pet behind. And there are some dangers to flying an animal via cargo. It's not temperature controlled for one, so at certain time of the year can be deadly, especially to a small, ill, or elderly animal. If I were flying and had a pet small enough to fit in the cabin, I'd absolutely fly it in the cabin to avoid the chance of my pet dying in cargo. I'd keep it IN the carrier (probably mildly sedated if medically feasible), and follow the rules. But it wouldn't be because I'm an entitled princess, but for the safety of my pet. And I'd assume that anyone so allergic that being on the same plane as a crated dog will cause a medical siutaiotn would avoid flights with animals. 

• Like 21

Many airlines allow small pets onboard, usually only a limited number per flight. It isn't just people pretending it's a service animal, you don't have to if the animal is small enough. Again, this is for the safety of the pet, which may not be able to fly in a non temperature controlled space. Not only is it freezing up in the air, their crates sit on the tarmac and get incredibly hot. That's enough to kill some pets. 

• Like 13

Right.  Everyone and his brother is trying to pass off a pet these days as an "emotional support animal" to get around fees in housing and all kinds of restrictions everywhere.  So over it.

Normally, they are dogs, so at least I am not forced to stop breathing in their presence. 

I hope the guy didn't have to sit next to the three dogs.  I understand that they want to go places but allergies are just too life-threatening to be ignored. 

Nope, they put the dude at the front of the plane and the three service dogs to the rear, where we were.

Kris

Often if people are moving, etc no, they can't leave the pet behind. And there are some dangers to flying an animal via cargo. It's not temperature controlled for one, so at certain time of the year can be deadly, especially to a small, ill, or elderly animal. If I were flying and had a pet small enough to fit in the cabin, I'd absolutely fly it in the cabin to avoid the chance of my pet dying in cargo. I'd keep it IN the carrier (probably mildly sedated if medically feasible), and follow the rules. But it wouldn't be because I'm an entitled princess, but for the safety of my pet. And I'd assume that anyone so allergic that being on the same plane as a crated dog will cause a medical siutaiotn would avoid flights with animals. 

In 2000 my kids and I spent a summer month at my parents home.  My middle dd was given the gift of a puppy who had been born on her birthday [brother in law bred his dog and this was the runt of the litter].  But I had to figure out how to get this puppy back across the country.  I called our airline who sent me the paperwork for the dog and assured me that she would be kept in a "safe environment" in the luggage area.  Also switched our flight to a red-eye so we would be flying at night and not during the heat of the day.  The day before we flew out, the airline changed their policy and decided not to allow animals in the luggage area.  All animals had to fit in a carrier under the seat.  The only way I found this out was because my Dad read the article in the L.A. Times and alerted me right away.  I was able to get a smaller carrier and my parents' vet gave us doggy tranquilizers.

But I was still on that red-eye to Washington D.C. and you can imagine the looks on everyone's faces as I came down the aisle, puppy carrier in one hand, baby in the other, followed by my 8yo and a toddler.  Thankfully the tranquilizer worked on the dog, the kids all slept, and the only screaming child on the plane was 8 rows in front of us.

But I am never NEVER traveling with an animal again.  Too stressful for me.  Others can do it, and do it well [the little old lady and her toy poodle who sat behind me last week are a good example of this], but I know my limitations.  The only reason Rosie wasn't down in 'steerage' when I traveled with her, was because the airline wouldn't allow it.

So it is made clear that there are animal-free flights?  I've never seen that before. 

I think the one creating the problem has the burden, not the victim.   If there are special animal flights, that's fine, so long as you know what you are signing up for. 

• Like 2

I am flying a lot, yearly overseas for 20 years, and have never encountered a noisy animal on an airplane.

Maybe some people brought small animals on board - but they were not noticeable.

Noisy children OTOH, yes, and there is no way to pick a flight to avoid those ;)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

So it is made clear that there are animal-free flights?  I've never seen that before. 

I think the one creating the problem has the burden, not the victim.   If there are special animal flights, that's fine, so long as you know what you are signing up for. 

Well, that's up to the airline, not the person bringing the pet, you know? They are following the rules, and shouldn't be blamed. I'd imagine you can call and ask about a flight with no animals, and if enough people do they will create flights that are animal free. Right now, they make money on those animals, and so they continue to do so. 

• Like 11

Well, that's up to the airline, not the person bringing the pet, you know? They are following the rules, and shouldn't be blamed. I'd imagine you can call and ask about a flight with no animals, and if enough people do they will create flights that are animal free. Right now, they make money on those animals, and so they continue to do so. 

Animals do not belong on planes. But hey, there is money to be made...

• Like 1

I just flew my dog across the country on a climate controlled cargo area of a plane.

I think this would be a different conversation if we were talking about people with nut allergies, instead of cat or dog allergies. I guess we collectively associate nut allergies with kids, more do than pet allergies.

I only flew my pets when we moved.  The first time I flew two cats who were in cargo and got to the destination before I did (but my dh got them, it was an airline mixup).  Then we moved overseas and flew our cats in the cabin.  THey were mostly quiet and much quieter than some of the people on board.  

• Like 2

I hate in cabin animals but we have severe allergies in this family to certain pets. I always miss them but when I've needed to travel with animals I've always checked them instead of in cabin flight. The closed quarters can really exacerbate allergies, just the same as with but allergies.

I do want to say, lest I sound horrid, that I think the airlines SHOULD make some flights pet free, and some with pets, to accommodate for allergies. And keep pets in certain rows, so that allergic people can pick spots, even on a pet free plane, that didn't have animals in it the flight before. 

• Like 4

We have four cats, and if we end up making a major move, I have no clue how we'd get them there. You can't easily do a multi-day drive with them, especially not in summer. You can't leave them in a car, most hotels aren't cat-friendly, and human drivers need to sleep, eat, and use the restroom sometime. But flying has it's own problems.

I wish Fed Ex would take domestic pets. They will ship most exotics and do most of the shipping for zoos (and are commonly used for reptiles-for DD's snakes, we could prepay shipping and leave them with one of the breeders she knows, and have the, ship them to us once we get there), and have climate controlled planes for animal cargo and a special transfer/relief station in Memphis-but they don't do cats and dogs.

• Like 1

I would be more inclined to go the other way...have flights be pets in the cabin free, with only some special flights available to those who have pets.  Because again, I kinda see it just like nut allergies, it's not like we NEED nuts on a plane.  I just don't think we NEED pets in the cabin. 

Either way, I think it works out to the same thing. Some flights with pets, some without. 

I'd be VERY hesitant to fly a small or elderly animal cargo. So I think the option to have them in cabin is a good one. It's moot to me, my dogs are too big anyway, lol. But I see why people do it. 

• Like 4

We are animal lovers with a lot of pets, but as a passenger, I would prefer not to have someones dog, cat, bird, snake, etc., near to me.  And, some people are allergic to animals.  My 12 1/2 year old Old English Sheepdog made the trip from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Cali, Colombia and she did fine. She was in her Vari Kennel crate, in the belly, on both flights.  I understand how convenient it is for someone whose pet is very small to have them in the passenger cabin, but unless it is a Service Dog, I think that's a bad idea.  

• Like 1

I have never flown with a pet and do not think I ever would but dh and I fly a LOT and have seen lots and lots of pets in the cabin.  In fact, it is the rare flight that there is not at least one.  I think most go undetected by most.  We just happen to have "cat radar" and always find ourselves attracted to the person with the cat.  With very few exceptions, they are in a soft carrier under the seat just like a bag.  The only I have seen out are service animals.  I think most are tranquilized because I have only heard one meowing cat and it did not go on long enough to bother anyone.  

I do have a flying with pets funny.  I was sitting in a busy waiting area when a 20ish yo woman sat next to me.  She was carrying two water bottles, each with one fish in it.  I of course, HAD to ask.  She said that she always traveled with her beloved fish and had been doing it for years.  I noticed later on the flight that she was reassuring the fish that they were fine.  

• Like 8

I know I am empathy impaired on this issue because not only do I have pets, but I have allergies .... My worst triggers tho are trees & grasses. I spend a large chunk of the year doing nasal rinses and quaffing antihistamines like candy & I still walk around sniffling & bleary eyed with a sinus headache. On bad days I get hives & my eyes run constantly so I look like I'm hysterical. This happened one time when I was at a lawyer's office signing property transfer papers for our house.  Super annoying explaining to people "no, I'm not upset, just allergies..." 

Nobody can re-arrange the outdoors for me. 

I also react to many fragrances so I do like the scent-free initiatives but that's not really percolated to air travel, just to health care facilities, and some gyms (where honestly I question the scent free because ugh, that can get gross....) 

• Like 3

I love cats and dogs but I also have allergies. I guess I have been lucky so far but I am thinking I have to remember to take my allergy medicine with me on my hand luggage. After two hours anywhere with a cat I am most definitely full blown sneezing, eye itching etc. Any longer and I also begin to have breathing issues. Dogs don't usually give me issues except English sheep dogs, I can't breath with those in a confined room.

I have never flown with a pet and do not think I ever would but dh and I fly a LOT and have seen lots and lots of pets in the cabin.  In fact, it is the rare flight that there is not at least one.  I think most go undetected by most.  We just happen to have "cat radar" and always find ourselves attracted to the person with the cat.  With very few exceptions, they are in a soft carrier under the seat just like a bag.  The only I have seen out are service animals.  I think most are tranquilized because I have only heard one meowing cat and it did not go on long enough to bother anyone.  

I do have a flying with pets funny.  I was sitting in a busy waiting area when a 20ish yo woman sat next to me.  She was carrying two water bottles, each with one fish in it.  I of course, HAD to ask.  She said that she always traveled with her beloved fish and had been doing it for years.  I noticed later on the flight that she was reassuring the fish that they were fine.  

I see pets on planes all the time, too. I fly Southwest a lot and they are very pet-friendly; it seems like there's usually at one pet on most flights, and sometimes several (they allow up to a maximum of 6 per flight). They only charge $95 per pet carrier (and you can have 2 cats or small dogs in one carrier), so I don't think they make a ton of money from the fees. But perhaps it attracts more business from pet owners. 

I wonder how the woman with the fish got that much liquid past security! 

I'm also allergic to the outside, therefore I'd be equally annoyed if someone brought a potted horsetail ort ragweed on the plane and was like "what? It's allowed and I love it"

Edited by OKBud

There is some serious disability discrimination going on in this thread. Be thankful that you don't have crippling PTSD or anxiety. Yes, some people do, in fact, *need* their animals.

Full disclosure: I have an ESA. I don't need him on flights, but I am happy to be able to bring him aboard. He does help my bipolar depression, which is why my doctor wrote the script. I'm also extremely allergic to cats, so I understand the issue and empathize.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 7

There is some serious disability discrimination going on in this thread. Be thankful that you don't have crippling PTSD or anxiety. Yes, some people do, in fact, *need* their animals.

Full disclosure: I have an ESA. I don't need him on flights, but I am happy to be able to bring him aboard. He does help my bipolar depression, which is why my doctor wrote the script. I'm also extremely allergic to cats, so I understand the issue and empathize.

I think not.  We are not able to make any decisions on this, and therefore cannot be guilty of discriminating against anyone.

We are allowed to have opinions on what makes sense though, considering competing interests.  I personally say necessity of breathing trumps all. 

I'm presuming you have a dog if you are allergic to cats.  If someone with cats sat down next to me, I have to leave.  How is that ok? 

• Like 2