Menu

A false dichotomy for fun

luuknam

128 members have voted

1. 1. How would you describe 32?

• A kid
    • Approaching middle age

Since this is a false dilemma, I chose approaching middle age. Actually he is "approaching" middle age. Approaching is not the same as being middle age. The average life expectancy for an American male is around 75, so yeah, he's approaching the halfway point. And he's definitely closer to middle age than to being a "kid".

• Like 9

Since this is a false dilemma, I chose approaching middle age. Actually he is "approaching" middle age. Approaching is not the same as being middle age. The average life expectancy for an American male is around 75, so yeah, he's approaching the halfway point. And he's definitely closer to middle age than to being a "kid".

I agree. If I'm forced to choose, I'm going with middle age. That's way past the kid stage.

• Like 2

Since this is a false dilemma, I chose approaching middle age. Actually he is "approaching" middle age. Approaching is not the same as being middle age. The average life expectancy for an American male is around 75, so yeah, he's approaching the halfway point.

Interestingly though, Google says "middle age" is about 45-65, which is well past the midpoint (not many people live to 90, never mind 130).

• Like 2

Interestingly though, Google says "middle age" is about 45-65, which is well past the midpoint (not many people live to 90, never mind 130).

There's been that weird idea of middle age for a while. I'm closer to 65 than I am to 45 but I remember being 45 and at thinking I was middle aged. Then when I thought about it I realized I was likely past the middle, and that was not a happy thought. 

Then there's my 88 yo FIL who is both physically and mentally active. His mother lived to be 96. MIL was 84, and her mother lived to 101. Maybe middle age IS older for some people. Of course we have no way of knowing who those people are and if we're one of them. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

About the idea of middle age starting at over 40 - I think the reason is that the average age of death includes a group of people who die young, even as kids.  But once you are past those ages and getting on to 40, there is a good chance you will live longer than that average.

I would say approaching middle age rather than a kid, and for me the tipping point would be over about 30.  I probably wouldn't ever think of it that way of my own accord until some time after 35 though.

Buut, I am not surprised people would call that a kid, we really have extended adolescence.  When I was a student, I had a friend who was a member of the youth wing of an international NGO.  I had figured that a youth wing would be mostly for teens, but it was actually for members up to 30.

• Like 1

Nope. He's been a legal adult for a while and should take responsibility for his actions. No excuse.

Oh, this was definitely not meant to excuse his actions or something. I'm a few days older than Lochte and the last time I destroyed a restroom door and lied to the police was, er, never.

• Like 5

At my age I would jokingly call a 30 yo and maybe even a 40 yo a kid, but in reality I would not see them as getting the kind of pass a "kid" would get. Someone that age still has a lot of life experience ahead of them, but they are fully adults and should be treated as such. Early 20s, maybe stretching it to 24-25 for late blooming males is about as far as I'll go in allowing someone to have the just-a-kid excuse.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

LOL I assume the person saying "kid" was thinking most olympians are teens or young adults.

When I was a kid (an actual school kid), I calculated how old I'd be in 2000.  I would be 33.  I pictured myself looking like Mrs. Santa Claus at that age.  :P

OK so 33 has come and gone (a long time ago) and I still don't look like Mrs. Santa Claus.

I think Kid can be used up to mid-20s if the person still looks youthful, though I prefer young adult for 18+.  Middle Age isn't until the 40s IMO.  (Maybe later.)  In between is just plain adult.

Well it reminds me of someone recently saying "young girl" about a 17yo.  And just yesterday I was wondering why moms were referring to all the students on a college campus as "kids."  I mean, I guess I know why, but it's weird.  On a related note, I don't understand how an 18-20yo needs to ask his mommy or daddy if he wants a beer.  :P

I think "middle age" often refers to middle adulthood-not half of life expectancy. So while a 32 year old may be approaching the middle of his life expectancy, he is still toward the beginning of his adulthood (about 10 years in). 50 is closer to the halfway point of adulthood (halfway between 20 and 80) so that is what I think of when I think "middle age."

I have never heard of someone in their 30's being referred to as middle age, although some people in their thirties are halfway done with their life.

• Like 3

Huffington Post says it's between 35 and 58, so there ya go! If Huffington Post says it, then you know it's true!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/01/signs-of-middle-age_n_5234201.html

Actually, I happen to agree with their assessment. So, I'd say he's clearly approaching middle age. I'm 43 and tell my mom I'm middle aged, but she has trouble believing it. She says in her mind I'm still college aged. Moms are awesome.

(I only do 9 of the 25 things on that list, but my husband who is 5 years older than me does more of them. I posted the link not so much for the list as for the age range that people think of as middle aged.)

Edited by Garga

Huffington Post says it's between 35 and 58, so there ya go! If Huffington Post says it, then you know it's true!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/01/signs-of-middle-age_n_5234201.html

"25 Surefire Signs You’ve Finally Hit Middle Age". Wait... is everybody else just waiting, waiting, waiting until they're *finally* middle aged? Odd title.

Given that I'm thirty and have 5.6 kids, thirty-two is an adult approaching middle age.

But Lochte is a man-child, which is irrespective of his physical age.

"25 Surefire Signs You’ve Finally Hit Middle Age". Wait... is everybody else just waiting, waiting, waiting until they're *finally* middle aged? Odd title.

Number 4 and number 16 contradict each other.

4. You start worrying - a lot - about your looks.

16. You no longer worry about what other people think of you...you feel comfortable in your own skin.

Uh, if 16 is true then why would you be worrying so much about your looks? 

• Like 1

LOL I assume the person saying "kid" was thinking most olympians are teens or young adults.

I had to go find out. :) Looks like the average age of Olympic athletes is a good bit older than I had thought.

US Olympic athletes by sport http://holykaw.alltop.com/age-range-of-us-olympic-athletes-by-sport

Analysis of all athletes at 2012 games (average age is 26) https://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/aug/07/olympics-2012-athletes-age-weight-height 

Middle age is always years ahead of wherever you are, don't you know? 

Once you are well into middle age, old age is defined as "Ten years ahead of wherever you are."  

At least that's what I was told, and it works for me. 

• Like 1

How about this...

20's = young adult

30s = adult

40s = middle age

That's how I would think of it. 

ETA added some more...

50s = middle age

60s = approaching old age - active elderly - senior

70+ = officially old age

Edited by goldberry

I could go 18-29. 20 year olds are just so..... young!

Maybe where you are. Here they are young adult. I was married with 2 children by 20. My oldest child had completed 3 years of university by 20. My current 20 year old has completed a tertiary deploma and has been working in a remote ares living by himself for two years. My current 18 year old has completed a tertiary deploma and been working full time for over a year, half of thattime located in a remote location, living by himself. Both have high levels of responsibility in their job.

• Like 1

I tend to think of 24 and under as young adult. Especially, those in college because they haven't had to be fully responsible for themselves. As they start getting to the point of paying their own rent, working full-time, etc we start to see differences in decision-making.

If someone has always been rescued from their bad decisions or accommodated for being a doofus, they may not make the social-emotional transition to adult even though they are an adult.

This is where I see Lochte. He never made the transition.

High level athletics is a weird world. People who grow up as elite athletes spend most of their childhood very tightly monitored around training. One side effect is they never have the freedom to make decisions about how to spend time socially or how to monitor themselves. They simply don't have the opportunity. But obviously they can figure it out. Most of the women in this situation do not have the same problem as the men.

I think it is different for people who reach a peak level of fame as an adult, rather than still a teen. I'm not sure if this is a good comparison but I believe Usain Bolt was already in his twenties when he earned his first world record, while Micheal Phelps was 17 or 18.

Phelps has not had the record of misbehaving during the Olympics or other big events Lochte has. Phelps always falls apart after the games are over when he's out of training and seems to be unsure how to schedule himself. He's been public about his rehab, hopefully he will get a handle on how to manage his time finally. Lochte is simply always up for a party and doesn't distinguish "appropriate." He doesn't have the same obvious pattern.

Anyway, 32 is not a kid. I hesitate to call 18 a kid.

18-24 young adult

24+ adult

I don't really distinguish middle age.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

I'm thinking that middle age would have to be defined by the median not the average though?

• Like 1