Menu

Would you increase your vitamin D?

Pegasus

Two years ago, a routine blood test showed my vitamin D level was 26 ng/mL.  My doctor advised that I start supplementing with 2,000 IU per day of D3.  I recently had a new blood test and my vitamin D level is now 40 ng/mL.  My doctor is satisfied with this (lab reference range is 30 to 100) but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off trying to get it a little higher.

Internet info on vitamin D levels are all over the map. The Mayo Clinic website indicates that up to 4,000 IU per day supplementation is safe.

Would you increase your supplement?

I would work with the doctor to understand why levels were that low. Are you getting outside with enough bare skin for long enough for your body to make vit D?

Do you have any malabsorption issues? Are you overweight? Etc.

50 is the vit d level I shoot for, as it seems to be the minimum to prevent cancer.

I'd go higher but I have noticed I have sleep issues that are directly related to my D level.  If I go below about 80 I wake up repeatedly during the night and have a hard time getting back to sleep even though I'm exhausted.  When I keep it over 80 (and sometimes it goes over a 100 and really that's no big deal), I sleep soundly and am well rested in the morning.  My doctor has worked with me on this and have tested this many times and all of my sleep issues develop when my D drops lower than 80 and resolve with higher levels without changing anything else.

• Like 1

1. Are you getting outside with enough bare skin for long enough for your body to make vit D?

2. Do you have any malabsorption issues? Are you overweight? Etc.

3. 50 is the vit d level I shoot for, as it seems to be the minimum to prevent cancer.

1. Not consistently.

2. No. Not now due to diet changes but I was 2 years ago when low vit D was first found.

3. Good to know!

Thank you.

I would expose as much of my skin as possible every day for about 15 minutes. If I couldn't do this year round because of weather I would supplement in the winter. I know the US recommended levels are 30+ but from what I've read that's still low. I believe European minimum is higher.

I have definitely found that various organizations have a wide range of recommendations both on the optimal blood levels and on recommended supplementation.

I can do better with the sun exposure. I tend to hide inside when it is uncomfortably hot and then get outside more when it is cool and cloudy.  Not helpful!

I'd go higher but I have noticed I have sleep issues that are directly related to my D level. If I go below about 80 I wake up repeatedly during the night and have a hard time getting back to sleep even though I'm exhausted. When I keep it over 80 (and sometimes it goes over a 100 and really that's no big deal), I sleep soundly and am well rested in the morning. My doctor has worked with me on this and have tested this many times and all of my sleep issues develop when my D drops lower than 80 and resolve with higher levels without changing anything else.

Wow. This is VERY interesting. I had my levels checked about 3 years ago and it was 19. I was suffering from crashing fatigue. I took supplements for a while and have focused on getting a lot of sun. But every Feb since the crashing fatigue returns. AND my sleep has been horrible. Now I wonder if it is related. Interesting.

when usrda's came out, it was thought d3 was all about 'strong bones and teeth'.  it is now known there are many many systems that depend upon a healthy level of d3.  one oncologist said she never had a patient with a d3 level >30.

it used to be considered that a blood level > 30 was considered a baseline healthy level.  that has been raised to 50.  d3 has been reclassified as a hormone (came up in one of 2dd's classes.  I have seen it referred to such in literature.)

the type of oil used as a delivery method varies in effectiveness.  drops with vit k are more absorbable, gel-tabs are more convenient.  (I wouldn't bother with tablets)

1dd's ND has rec'd she have a level of 70.  a few years ago, her d3 level was about 10.  (rickets can occur at 7.)   her provider had her taking 10K IUs of d3 daily just to get it to rise.   in order to get mine to rise - I have to take >4K IUs daily.  (I need to be rechecked, last time I was still <50)

so yes, if your d3 level is 40, I would keep a dose that will get yours to rise.

I'd go higher but I have noticed I have sleep issues that are directly related to my D level.  If I go below about 80 I wake up repeatedly during the night and have a hard time getting back to sleep even though I'm exhausted.  When I keep it over 80 (and sometimes it goes over a 100 and really that's no big deal), I sleep soundly and am well rested in the morning.  My doctor has worked with me on this and have tested this many times and all of my sleep issues develop when my D drops lower than 80 and resolve with higher levels without changing anything else.

interesting.  that also sounds like thyroid/adrenal stuff I've been reading - which can be affected by d3.  (and western medicine often ignores the relationship.  love stopthethyroidmadness.com)