Menu

I need a few families to test some grammar materials

jenn&charles

I'm designing a grammar unit on prepositions that is very hands-on with a variety of activities to help student retain the material. The unit comes with lessons written to the student (or that can be read by a parent if you have younger children), workbook style pages for practice, games, and more. The unit reviews nouns, verbs, helping verbs, and pronouns. It also teaches students about prepositions, the object of a preposition, and the subject / verb of a sentence. There is also some copywork and a small bit of writing included in the unit.

Here are some screenshots:

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG

It will be about a month or so before I finish the unit up, but I need families to test it out and look for errors, give feedback, etc.

I may create an entire year's worth of grammar that is released unit by unit and then put together in one bundle / download. My goal is to create a grammar program that is actually FUN to use and doesn't bog kids down with endless workbook pages, but rather breaks things up with activities. I always thought grammar was so boring to teach with only a few exceptions. I want to provide something that livens it up a bit. ;-) It's also my goal to create something kids will RETAIN. 

If you are interested in testing this unit on prepositions, please post below, and I'll PM you when I'm ready to send the materials (via PDF). 

Thanks for reading!

• Like 3

Not sure how many testers you need, but I have a 10 yr old DD who hasn't retained very much grammar and could probably really benefit from an approach like this, because hands-on activities really help her remember things.

• Like 1

My son is 10, and he has dyslexia. I am interested to try this because he has a hard time with lots of colors in his books. I usually have to make black and white copies of materials that we use. Your samples do not have lots of bright colors, and maybe that could work for him.

• Like 1

I'd love to test this out with my youngest, 7 yrs old who's about halfway thru FLL3.  Did you use FLL's preposition list or some other resource (like R &S)?

I consulted a variety of resources to come up with my own preposition list. :-) I included prepositions that I believe kids this age will come across fairly often. I made sure to let students know that my list does NOT include every conceivable preposition, something that annoyed me with other curricula. My kids would read the list(s) and think they knew every preposition that existed on the planet, lol. NOT TRUE! ;-)

Here is the list I came up with:

aboard, about, above, across, after, against, along, among, around, at

before, behind, below, beneath, beside, between, beyond, but (meaning except), by

down, during, except, for, from, in, inside, into, like

near, of, off, on, onto, out, outside, over, past, since

through, throughout, to, toward, under, underneath, until, up, upon, with, within, without

That's the basic list I introduce, but I will also teach that some prepositions consist of more than one word, like "in back of", "because of" and so on. 

I want kids to get the concept, but I also want them to understand that they are going to run into things they have NOT studied, and that learning grammar is a journey, not necessarily something that can be digested via just a workbook. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the replies!! Since I got such a great response, I'll be holding a drawing to choose some of you to work with. Everyone else will get a coupon for the final product. It's not to late to let me know if you are interested (or to get the future coupon, lol). :-) It will still be a little while before I have anything ready to test. 

Thanks again!! You all are so awesome!! 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

An update: I didn't get anything done in the time frame I thought I would! We moved to a different state and were staying with family for awhile, etc. Anyway, I finally got back to work on this! I also decided to create an ENTIRE grammar curriculum, instead of a unit on prepositions, so needless to say, things are taking me a lot longer than I anticipated, since I'm illustrating everything myself. If anyone is interested in being a proofreader, please follow my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/guesthollow/ . I'll be posting something about it soon. Proofreaders will get a free final copy. :-) I'll still be randomly drawing a list from replies in this thread for "beta testers" and feedback, but it's going to be awhile before I have a final draft ready to go. I'm aiming to have it completed by this fall!

I hope this post doesn't break the forum rules. I had another post having to do with Guest Hollow stuff taken down. ;-) I'm not complaining at all, though!! I love this forum and wish I had more time to just hang out, like I used to. 

• Like 2