Menu

What's with the ads?

morningcoffee

Stupid reasons for liking/disliking a curriculum

"Twaddle" is just a gross, demeaning word. I despise it and don't feel much more charitably toward people who use it as a snotty condemnation when we live in a world where ANY book that leads a reader to READ SOME MORE has value.

I know this is an old discussion, but I'm so glad to see others feel the same way. I've seen people on AO and even Simply Charlotte Mason saying they don't take their kids to the library because of twaddle.

Just seems very elitist and from what I've read by CM she doesn't seem to mean it in the same way.

Edited by happybeachbum

I can't stand anything with a super chatty tone. One small audio clip of Mystery of History, and I was done. Reading Apologia elementary science is the same way for me. (I also don't like preachy science, so double strike for me.)

Also, I am pretty big on appealing visuals. Memoria may be great, but it looks so very boring that I never even want to look at it. When I stop to look at Rod and Staff grammar, I see the exercises are good, but it also looks super boring. I also reject unprofessional looking programs with poor fonts and graphics. I can't do Biblioplan for this reason. If it looks like a homeschool mom typed it on her computer, it's not likely to happen here.

• Like 1

I have learned I do not like digital download curriculum. I just really love holding nicely published curriculum in my hands.

I love and am drawn to beautiful cover design and we'll formatted curriculum on nice paper. Both ELTL for its cover art and Cottage Press for its amazing layout and design fall into this category for me.

I love Veritas Press Lit guides. The covers, thickness and variation of activities is so appealing to me. I get so much joy out of thumbing through them.

I love the color and perfect amount of work per page in BJU Math. It is just so appealing to look at. I find the same to be true with BJU English. It is just pleasing to look at and not overwhelming. Even difficult concepts it seems to invite you in and say "see, this is so easy. You got this."

I love the layout and ease of teaching in the 2nd edition of Rightstart. 1st edition felt cumbersome and 2nd edition is just amazingly simple to implement.

I find the colored pencils and vowel chunk ing of Spelling You See to also be satisfying and pleasing. When my DD finishes a page with all of those lovely colored boxes around chunks it just is nice to look at :)

• Like 2

I dislike SOTW because the activity guide isn't spiral bound.  I can get the reading books any binding: hard, soft, spiral, but not the activity guide.  It means there's a shadow whenever I try to copy a page from it.  If I don't want the shadow I have to pay more to get a pdf copy. 

I agree that it's frustrating, but I did have the AG spiral bound. I split it up into two parts. I got the activities section bound together and then all the pages to copy bound together. 

• Like 1

I love the feel of a brand new, shiny-cover, shiny-pages textbook. We haven't used very many in our homeschool, but we had one last year and I loved it. It smelled inky and papery, too. Love the smell of paper and ink.

I don't like pages that are too busy with lots of sidebars. What do we read first? The sidebar? The text? Bounce back and forth between them? So anything Usborne is completely OUT. I hate those books.

I have a love/hate with the boxes.   I love a continuous flow.    But, then those boxes usually have such interesting stuff in them.  So, I developed a twice-through reading method.   I go through once reading just the boxes, then again just the main bits.  I just got done reading a funeral book called Grave Expectations that used the box method.  I only remember one thing from the main flow, but many from the boxes.   For example, I know how Tibetan Monks self-mummify themselves, and that for a several years it was usual in China for people to hire strippers for the funeral (to attract more people).  

• Like 2

I hate singapore math. I can't quite put my finger on it. I know for whatever reason the instructors guide leaves me hanging. I am managing fine for first grade, but I know I will not be comfortable teaching older grades using this curriculum. I'm going for more traditional next year even though I really want to like it, I don't. So, basically I don't like singapore primary mathematics because I just don't. I'm mathy, my kid is doing great, I just hate it. :lol:

• Like 1

I have learned I do not like digital download curriculum. I just really love holding nicely published curriculum in my hands.

Oh yes. I never have bought a digital download because I KNOW I'd hate it. This is school people, I need books. :lol:

• Like 1

I can't use video or online courses that have instructors who use iconic teacher inflection.  Every sentence does not need to end with an over-emphasized high note.  

I assume that anyone who talks like that is an idiot.  I know it isn't fair, but I just can't get past it.

• Like 3

I really dislike the font used in RSO Level 1 books. I know it sounds silly, but it really really annoys me

• Like 2

I love the feel of a brand new, shiny-cover, shiny-pages textbook. We haven't used very many in our homeschool, but we had one last year and I loved it. It smelled inky and papery, too. Love the smell of paper and ink.

I don't like pages that are too busy with lots of sidebars. What do we read first? The sidebar? The text? Bounce back and forth between them? So anything Usborne is completely OUT. I hate those books.

Not to be an enabler, but I loved Notgrass just because of how nice the books smelled. 

• Like 5

Anything with a website that's difficult to navigate. If you can't design a clear website what does your curriculum look like?

People often outsource websites to their friends who want to build a resume.

That is an equally questionable decision but less concerning than the inability to describe and categorize a curriculum.

I have vetoed curriculum for:

paper feel: SWO, Hake, Saxon- Just yucky

too many parts: AAS/AAR- I have tried and tried so many times but I just cannot deal with all the tiles and cards and books. Singapore Math- this book, then this one, but add that one, too. Oh, and did you get the manipulatives on top of all that? no no no

too many pages/books to get to the point: TOG

page layout: R&S

TM's that do not give me full worked out problem solutions - R&S Math

(We love BJU Math. I ignore the ridiculous covers.)

• Like 1

Write Start. Shuffling between 2 books, neither of which is actually well organized. And the page feel like cheap photo copies.

Yes! I'm with you! I wish they would spiral bind the front section and the student pages separately. I hate the giant paperback. :thumbdown:

I just bought one for the first time. I cut it along the spine between the 2 sections then removed the back cover and attached it to the teacher part. I now have a thinner tidy book and the student pages which I will hole punch and put in a folder.