Menu

Discrepancy in scores from WAIS?

My dd, college freshman, just had evaluation from testing. Her verbal reasoning and perceptual reasoning scores differed by 37. Her verbal reasoning score and her working memory score differ by 43. Because both of the lower scores are still in the average range, the tester said those areas aren't harder for her. Tester believes it is because of mild anxiety. These scores differ by 2 or more standard deviations. I thought I read somewhere that this was significant. And, yes, she does have vision issues and has had vision therapy. This can affect her perceptual reasoning, correct? I'm wondering if she could have working memory issues even if her score is in the average range. Her verbal reasoning score is very superior.

We did the neuropsychological testing because she needs accomodations in college because of her vision. Also, she finds math and science to be much harder for her so we wanted to know of she had an underlying issue.

Thanks!

Because both of the lower scores are still in the average range, the tester said those areas aren't harder for her. ...These scores differ by 2 or more standard deviations. I thought I read somewhere that this was significant.

My kids didn't take the WAIS and I have no idea what my school and college used. So opinion is based on what my kids tester told me. DS10 has a score (processing speed) in the average range. If he was doing work at grade level it won't be hard and he won't need help/accommodations. However since he was doing work at the level he wants to, it is tiring for him. His percentile gap was 47. So your child's tester is both right and wrong.

. And, yes, she does have vision issues and has had vision therapy. This can affect her perceptual reasoning, correct?

It depends on the vision issue. DS10 and I both have vision issues, mine worse than his. HIs perceptual reasoning score is very high. I have been tested in 6th grade public school and for postgrad and both times the perceptual reasoning section scores are very high. My hubby is the one that would have average perceptual reasoning scores because he struggled through the same 6th grade test I took.

If your daughter's major is mechanical engineering, as a former engineer my advice would be for her to consult her VT and get more information on how her vision issues affects her studies. I would actually have her VT write a note for her on what accommodations would be useful.

ETA:

I had accommodations for visual issues in college for labs.

Edited by Arcadia

When I refer to two stanine difference in IQ numbers, I'm specifically talking about the WISC-IV subtest numbers, not percentages.  I don't know a thing about the test that you mentioned, but your tester sounds like he has no clue whatsoever with 2e kiddos. 

I have no clue how to advise you, but I am not sure that his opinion matters.  It seems like a good college disablity services office could sort the numbers but maybe not.  Besides getting a letter from the VT, speak to the college disability people directly.  Also discover how the report can be amended if you disgaree with his findings.  Good luck.  Reading this thread just gave me a headache. 

Edited by Heathermomster

My DD's had the split and had average or above average perceptual reasoning scores. For both of them, verbal was a lot higher, and both NPs seemed to suspect NVLD but then ruled it out.

Vision is tricky and even in perceptual reasoning not all scores were low. It was like they were either good or seriously low.

Both NPs made a big deal about saying their visual spatial skills were "intact". I guess that means despite the certain low subtest scores and the visual issues that may have shown up in the other tests.

Edited by Tiramisu

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. Yes, we have a letter from her VT and recommended accomodations. I'll have to look into NVLD.  She'll be taking her evaluation to disability services today. So far they have been very helpful, and they already have the letter from her VT.   

Thanks!

http://www.ziemang.com/pnm_articles/0002ld.htm

Here is one overview of nonverbal learning disorder (NVLD or sometimes NLD). Because it is not in the DSM5, some psychs do not diagnose it.

In addition to visual spatial issues, people with NVLD often have trouble with math, reading comprehension, social skills including reading body language and facial cues, and dyspraxia (particularly a weaker left side of the body). Although not everyone will exhibit all symptoms or have the same severity, there is a common pattern of related struggles.

In NVLD, the verbal scores are higher, and the perceptual scores are lower. You don't mention which is higher in your description, but I'm assuming it is the verbal. Many times students with NVLD do well in early grades, and the troubles appear in late elementary or later.

Despite the academic difficulties, social skills often become the most problematic part of the disorder, because difficulty in that area can impact the ability to attain and hold a job, as well as interpersonal relationships. When you think about the fact that 65% of all communication is nonverbal, someone who misses those cues is at a distinct disadvantage. Social and job performance is complicated by what is often called an "illusion of competence " -- due to high verbal skills, people with NVLD sometimes initially seem to understand things that they really don't, and then they end up under-performing in tasks or misunderstanding conversations and social situations, which confuses employers and can irritate peers.

NVLD can be tricky to understand, because it is a lesser known condition. Although there is a lot of information online, it can be harder to find than information about autism (for example). Some people believe that NVLD is really part of the autism spectrum, on the high end, similar to what used to be called Asperger's. Others think it is it's own thing. Since DS was diagnosed a couple of years ago, I've personally come to believe that NVLD may have a spectrum of it's own, with severe cases looking more like Asperger's/autism and mild cases being less debilitating without related LDs.

• Like 2