Menu

Can I send my kids to school

mellifera33

I sometimes pay my kids to babysit themselves. They're 11, 9, 7 and 4. So the big kid gets $1, for babysitting herself and three sisters, the next kid gets $0.75, for herself and two sisters, then $0.50 and the littlest gal gets $0.25 for babysitting herself. They take this job opportunity pretty seriously, and I often add household jobs they can optionally complete for extra pay. Almost always this is when one parent or the other is home but unavailable, so there is a responsible adult, but they tend themselves while on the payroll.

Could that work at your house? It's cheap babysitting.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

The last two years dh took the kids camping for a weekend while I planned and enjoyed a house that stayed clean for 48 hours. This year, taking the big kids camping but leaving me with the newly crawling, wants to get into everything nursing baby wouldn't be very helpful. Instead, this weekend he's going to be completed in charge of the kids except when that baby needs to nurse. He's planning to take them out of the house as much as possible between baby's feedings.

• Like 1

I always did this while my kids where at VBS, later when they were at sleep over camp.

ETA: There was a mom on the old board who left the kids with her dh and checked into a decent hotel for the weekend to do all her planning. She even took her printer and all the books and everything and knocked out a bunch of work that way.

Edited by Anne in CA
  • Like 4

I just planned Rod & Staff English through December while watching the Olympics. Woohoo! But I'm only planning for one kid, the 13 yo and 16 yo are entertaining themselves in their room, and disabled dd is playing with a shovel here with me. Oh, and by "planning" I mean copying the planbook from 3 years ago when 16 yo was in in 8th grade! Only 8 more subjects to go...(and I can't just copy any of them).

• Like 1

Mine never leave. Or sleep. Whiiiiiiiiine.[/quote

LOL. Mine haven't left or slept for 5.5 years.

I'm told that they are leaving this weekend for two full days and two full nights. I'll believe it when I see it, but if it's true, I will have quiet to finish (start/fix?) my lesson planning. Seriously, though...if they really leave I might just spend the whole weekend sitting on my couch in the silence. 5.5 years.

• Like 1

Calling Grandpa is a perfectly reasonable idea! If my parents or ILs lived nearby, the children would have regular visits with them, and I wouldn't hesitate to use that time for planning. I have contemplated having dh take them to his parents' house for a long weekend, but so far we've had at least one who is too young to be away from me overnight.

I start my planning in about February or March because I know I'll only have small bits and bobs of time. And I just keep plugging away at it when I have time. If I really want a big block, I'll have dh be the POD (that's Parent On Duty), but that's still only semi-successful if I'm actually in the house. I've been known to stay up late a few nights too, although that's maybe not the best idea at my age.

And then after all of that, I spent last weekend redoing DD's history and literature anyway. Sigh. LOL!