Menu

Dorm room and in-between-classes food

MorningGlory

What foods do your students keep in their dorm rooms? I've got ideas, but I always get better ideas from the hive. My son will have a personal mini fridge and access to a large microwave on his hall.

My son is also wondering about food between classes. His M and T schedules are loaded with back-to-back classes with no significant breaks. What do your kids do in those situations? 

Thanks! Jetta

You can make a tortilla with those frozen chicken strips, and they will thaw to coolness by the time you eat them. 

Protein bars and meal replacement bars. 

Mixed nuts and trail mix. 

Baggies of cereal. 

Peanut butter sandwiches. 

Microwave mashed potatoes. 

Canned soup. 

Crackers. 

Bevita breakfast snacks. 

Fiber One Brownies. 

Microwave rice. 

Her suite shares an apartment sized fridge, so she has a mini freezer in her room, filled with home cooked meals, and she will just add the rice or whatever. 

My DD likes the little add-hot-water cups of Annie's Mac N cheese, and also the Udon noodle cups of the same type. Kashi bars are always a hit. She likes fruit leathers or popcorn as well.

Thank you, everyone! My son doesn't eat nuts so that cuts out a lot of the healthier protein bar and trail mix options. We went to the store yesterday to get him some starter food, and he selected a couple of dry cereals, popcorn, cheese, and several kinds of crackers. We also ordered a water filter pitcher, and he will have milk and fruit in his fridge. It just seems so heavy on the carbs!

At my son's school, they allow kids to eat whatever they wanted in lecture class. Apparently I'm an old fogey for thinking that was odd. Many schools have snack bars and small cafe/take out places in addition to cafeterias, so they can grab something quickly between classes. I don't like to spend too much time thinking about how much money he wasted, tho, on quick Starbucks drinks and junk food.

When we toured, I actually saw kids eating and drinking in a lab room. This old fogey was stunned. Yes--it was between classes and it was a geology lab room (at least not chemistry!), but still...

I guess I'm just worried about my son gaining weight. He is so athletic and trim right now, but between cafeteria food and an urban campus (not that much green space), I can see this being a potential problem. 

I may just be looking for things to worry about...

The number one complaint my son has is lack of greens. They just go to the supermarket weekly and stock up. His sib uses a calorie tracker to make sure he doesnt carb overload and gets enough protein.