Menu

Headphones with a Mic for online classes

There was recently a thread about this very thing. My kid's classes haven't ever needed a webcam, but sometimes the kids who have them will turn them on. (We did decide not to sign up for a provider who required webcams. That wasn't the only reason we didn't use them, but it did play a part in not signing up for anything with them.) 

DD#1 has used these headphones for the last two years. I just bought a second set for dd#2. The very first pair that came didn't work correctly, but Amazon sent out a replacement for free & they have worked great.

You can probably buy any "no name"  product and have it work well. If you buy Logitech or Microsoft, it will cost more, but probably higher quality and (hopefully) a longer  guarantee.  Sometimes the selection in the stores here is overwhelming and the differences are in the ear pads, volume control for the headphones, etc.  I usually buy the least expensive ones, or close to that, that look good, because they are easily damaged (the wires in the cables are tiny) and I don't expect them to last forever.  I would probably buy 2 for an online course. I would test both of them, after purchase, and put one away, for the day I needed to be in the class and discovered the headset didn't work...

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

The number one reason for headphones/mic to stop working is damaged wires.

To extend the life of your headset do NOT unplug it after each use-- keep it plugged in if at all possible!.

There are adapters available that help extend the plug-end's life.  I use some by HeadsetBuddy.  

If students computer is a desktop then purchase a stick-on (or Command brand) plastic hook and attach to side of desk so headset has a 'home'.

Have student be extra careful not to pull on wires if they have to connect or disconnect headset. (A good rule for any item that has to be plugged in!).

• Like 1