Menu

Double Ovens - Thoughts?

Myeightkiddies

In the near future we'll be replacing our stove/oven.  I've been looking at the double ovens.  Those are the ones with the smaller oven on top and the larger on bottom (replacing the pull-out drawer).  If you have one, will you share your positive/negative thoughts with me?

If you have/had one and didn't like it, what type of stove/oven do you prefer and why?

Thank you.  I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I had double wall ovens in the first house I owned with dh. I loved them. They were both full size. When we moved and purchased a new house it had an enormous old restaurant stove in it. So when it came time to redo that kitchen I knew I wanted another big stove. My current one has a full size oven with a smaller oven on the left. It is a 5 burner so wider then standard. I absolutely love it. I can cook a lot of food at once, I can cook different foods at different temps. And sometimes I can just use the smaller stove, thus saving energy. I love to cook and do so often, so it has been wonderful to have.

I've never seen the top and bottom double stoves. I guess my concerns would be the bending over, for one. But secondly, is the bottom one a full size oven? I would definitely want one to be full sized.

• Like 1

I love double ovens. The ones in this kitchen, not so much. My other house had 2 standard size ovens. This one they look standard but when you open them they are actually not as wide. I had to put my favorite baking pan in storage because it doesn't fit. For Thanksgiving we had to buy a new roasting pan. Even after measuring, it doesn't fit sideways because of the handles. I have to put it in vertically (does that make sense) and the door just barely shuts. These are wall ovens. Not sure about stove/oven combo.

There are many times it is nice to have 2 ovens going at the same time. Cooking things that require different temperatures, making multiple things at the same time (pizza for us).

• Like 1

I have a double oven/ stove made by LG and love it. It has been perfect for my family of 5. Mostly I use the top oven, but it's wonderful to have the bottom for large meals, multiple pizzas, etc. The one drawback is that the ovens cook differently, maybe because of the different sizes? I haven't had any problems with getting large items out of the bottom oven though it is low. This stove/oven was the perfect solution for my small kitchen.

• Like 1

are you talking a double oven range? or wall oven?

I have a standard range size oven with a warming drawer below. hardly use the warming drawer (but it's duel fuel - which is what I wanted.)

Measure the full- size oven - is it big enough for a turkey?  roaster?  as big a pot as you'll use?

I literally went around measuring interior oven heights, to determine what would be the clearance between the bottom rack and the top element.

also keep in mind, those smaller ovens do not bake the same as a larger one, so there is a learning curve in the differences.

• Like 1

Love mine--it's a double standard size oven. I would not want the smaller/larger one because it wouldn't be as versatile and the relatively small price difference wouldn't be worth that loss for me. I would recommend not getting the narrower style. Not being able to fit sheet pans in the oven is a huge pain. 

• Like 1

I have double ovens for the first time in this house and I adore them. They make life so much easier and holidays in particular are now much less stressful. Mine are the same large size, but if it was between two different sizes or a single oven I would still take the two.

I looked at those double oven stoves (the regular size, not the wider size) when we built our house, and I didn't like the idea of the bending over.  Can you imagine putting something heavy like a turkey down that low?  But I use my oven a lot.  I agree it would be nice to have the extra oven.  I got a nice countertop convection toaster oven that can bake small things pretty well.  

I really think you could go either way.  If you try it at the store and don't mind the bending over, go for it.  If you have room for something on your countertop and want to do that instead for your 2nd, that's fine too.  I have my old stove in the basement, main stove in the kitchen, a countertop convention toaster oven, AND a huge electric roaster that will hold a 30 pound turkey.  With that much, I don't really miss that 2nd oven on the stove, kwim?  But if I had gotten it, yeah I'd use it.  I really think you could go either way.

Ok, I'll add that if you won't have an extra oven anywhere (like an old one in the basement or something), I would get the double oven.  Once you have that thought that you want the 2nd oven, you'll kick yourself forever for not getting it.  :)

• Like 1

Our new home came with the stovetop/double oven combo and I love it. Our former home had the double oven wall unit so I wasn't too sure how I would appreciate this combo. It has served us for a year now and it is perfect! Both ovens are the same size and I haven't noticed any difference in each of their cooking.

• Like 1

I love mine. It has a single shelf on the top oven and the bottom is full-sized. I have a family of four, but I have used both ovens at once more than I ever thought I would. 80% of the time I use the smaller top oven. I get the benefits of a double oven without the expense of extensive remodeling.

If your oven outlet is on the floor, you'll have to move it to the back wall and recess it or the oven will stick out from the cabinets. Apparently, stoves with that drawer on the bottom accommodated these floor plugs, but 1 1/2 oven stoves use all of that floor space.

• Like 2

Well, our oven is a regular oven, but the drawer beneath is also an oven. 

I love, love, love it. I was skeptical at first. But, the few times a year I use that lower oven, it is priceless. It makes hosting large gatherings so much easier. Also, for which I can provide no explanation, the lower oven roasts potatoes more nicely than the regular oven. I don't notice a difference with other foods, but if I am roasting potatoes I will use the lower  (smaller)  oven.

• Like 1

I have two full size ovens, one under the stove and one in the wall. The under stove one has a warming oven in the pull out drawer but not a little oven like the ones you're describing. It's useful for raising bread and keeping things hot but has a much lower top temp.

I think if your regular casseroles and baking pans fit into one or both of the ovens you're considering, it's a great idea. Just check the sizes to make sure....

• Like 2

I would love to have a double oven, but the bending over is what held me back from getting one when we replaced our old stove/oven a few years ago. I know I'd get a fair amount of use out of the top, smaller oven, and would get rid of our toaster oven so I could take back counter space. However, every time I looked at a double oven mode, I mimed getting something out of the bigger oven. After doing that a few times I knew it wouldn't be a good thing. I have chronic back pain though, so my view is skewed.

• Like 1

I LOVE my double oven. LOVE IT SO!

I love that my smaller/top oven has a toaster oven setting -- I use it all the time!

My lower oven is a standard sized range oven ... the top oven is the size of the drawer in other ovens  -- it heats faster than the bottom but it runs hotter so I have to keep a closer eye in things on top and avoid baking things like cake on top. But it's great for frozen foods :) And it works well for big events like Thanksgiving to have that second oven at a different temp!

• Like 1

Double wall ovens are nice when you need them, though some dishes can be a squeeze. I don't usually need to cook that much at once but it is SO convenient for the times I do. My current place doesn't have one but my new place does and I grew up with them.

In the near future we'll be replacing our stove/oven.  I've been looking at the double ovens.  Those are the ones with the smaller oven on top and the larger on bottom (replacing the pull-out drawer).  If you have one, will you share your positive/negative thoughts with me?

If you have/had one and didn't like it, what type of stove/oven do you prefer and why?

Thank you.  I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I prefer gas over electric for surface cooking. Electric is supposed to be better for baking, but I can't tell. :-)

I used to own an electric stove that had two ovens, one at eye level, one below the burners. I like that (although I don't like electric for surface cooking). I don't know if those are even made any more, but I wouldn't mind having one again.

Now I have a gas cooktop and a separate electric oven. I wish I had two ovens, but I would have to give up storage space to change from one oven to two, and I haven't figured that out yet. I don't need two ovens very often, but they would sure come in handy for large dinners.

A neighbor has a stove that has two lower ovens; one is almost full-size, the other is much smaller. When the lower oven door is open, it is almost touching the floor. She has to bend way over to get things in and out. I don't know if I'd like that. This is similar to hers:

Standalone_1175X1290.jpg

• Like 1

I own a Gemini and I LOVE IT.  I L.O.V.E IT.  It is gas because that is what this house has, but the big oven is gas convection on demand. I love it.  I use the smaller oven quite often, it heats up quickly and is very energy efficient. If I am making a dozen muffins or baked ziti it goes in the small oven. That is also where my broiler is.  I use the big oven for making two pizzas at once, or two cake layers, or a couple pans of cookies etc.

I have absolutely used both ovens at once on holidays and when entertaining. I have had no problem with them having two different temps or anything like that. 

• Like 1

In the near future we'll be replacing our stove/oven. I've been looking at the double ovens. Those are the ones with the smaller oven on top and the larger on bottom (replacing the pull-out drawer). If you have one, will you share your positive/negative thoughts with me?

Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I had one and I loved it.

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your advice and thoughts. It is so extremely helpful.  I'm going to show my dh this thread.  We'll definitely measure our current oven's interior prior to choosing a new one (to be certain it is big enough - at least one of the ovens).  We have a large family living at home, still, so size really does matter.

I knew that I could count on you all.   : )

I don't have a double oven, but I noticed in the comments a lot of concerns about bending over to get something out of the lower oven.  Our range has an oven that is pretty low to the ground, and I'll tell you what:  having racks that ROLL out (not the kind that I have always had!) makes all the difference.  I can pull the rack straight out with no effort at all, and then lift straight up.  It rolls out smoothly, no matter how heavy is the item I have on it, so I'm not in some power struggle with a dutch oven.  

It's the twist-and-lift that is hard on a back; a straight lift isn't as often so difficult.  So maybe that feature would allay concerns re: low double ovens.  :0)

I used to have an enormous range with a double oven, one fairly narrow but useful and the other regular/over-sized.  But that range was made in 1944, and eventually went the way of all flesh.  Alas.  Five burners and a sunken pot burner to boot.  :0)

I now have double wall ovens. Got them about 18 months ago, and that is the first time I've had proper double ovens. I love, love, love, love having two ovens. It would be fine if one were smaller (although mine are both full sized). It's just GREAT to be able to cook rolls while the main course is still in the oven, or start dessert while the main course is still in there, etc. 

If you can't have two full regular ovens, then for sure, having a smaller second oven is still WAY good. In one house, we had a normal range, but a fancy over-the-range microwave that also baked (and convection baked), so although it was a bit smaller (microwave size), you could use that second oven for a pie, etc, while the main oven was busy. 

If you have space for it, and if you like to cook a lot, then IMHO, it is super awesome to have two ovens. 

My grandmother had a wide stove with two side by side ovens--a regular width one and a narrow one.  She loved this.  She used the smaller one for little roasts for just the two of them, and both together for big family parties where a leg of lamb (narrow) and a prime rib roast (huge) would be served.  She also would use the big oven for roasting meat for a medium party, and the small one for warming plates, a habit she had that I never got used to--I still don't see how she could carry those stacks of hot plates through 3 rooms to set them on the table when I couldn't even stand to pass one at a time down to the next person.

I only have one oven, under the stove top, and it doesn't bother me particularly.  Generally if I am roasting a Big Hunk Of Meat there is a 15-30 minute period of letting it sit outside the oven, cutting it, making gravy, etc. during which I can reheat other things like mashed potatoes in the same oven.  Plus I like having a separate broiler under the oven.

But at our cabin, we have a wall oven, and wow, it's so nice not to have to bend down over the oven but rather have it at arm height.  And, there is a drawer height warming oven, kind of shallow, which I LOVE.  All those dishes where you're supposed to 'keep warm' a platter of, say, chicken that you cooked on top of the stove, while making a great sauce, are so much easier with a warming oven.  You don't have to heat up the whole big oven for that, and the drawer is so handy, being right under the island, which also has the Jennair burners on it.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your advice and thoughts. It is so extremely helpful.  I'm going to show my dh this thread.  We'll definitely measure our current oven's interior prior to choosing a new one (to be certain it is big enough - at least one of the ovens).  We have a large family living at home, still, so size really does matter.

I knew that I could count on you all.   : )

When I was researching buying the Gemini, I was told/ and read that ovens are standard sized.  If you have an oven in your space, then it can be replaced by a double...as long as it's not a side by side obviously.  But an up and down model will take the place of an old oven.  The insides are comparable as well. They all have to fit standard pans etc.

I don't have a double oven, but I noticed in the comments a lot of concerns about bending over to get something out of the lower oven.  Our range has an oven that is pretty low to the ground, and I'll tell you what:  having racks that ROLL out (not the kind that I have always had!) makes all the difference.  I can pull the rack straight out with no effort at all, and then lift straight up.  It rolls out smoothly, no matter how heavy is the item I have on it, so I'm not in some power struggle with a dutch oven.  

It's the twist-and-lift that is hard on a back; a straight lift isn't as often so difficult.  So maybe that feature would allay concerns re: low double ovens.  :0)

I used to have an enormous range with a double oven, one fairly narrow but useful and the other regular/over-sized.  But that range was made in 1944, and eventually went the way of all flesh.  Alas.  Five burners and a sunken pot burner to boot.  :0)

That would be the Gemini. I am sure there are others. There is one rack in the bottom oven that rolls out very easily.  It comes with two more that don't roll. They made that for putting in/taking out large items.  I have no problem lifting etc, but it is a nice feature. 

Edited by redsquirrel

This is interesting. A few years ago, I had a double oven installed as part of small upgrade to all stainless steel  kitchen. At the time, I  got a large ss countertop toaster over.  I have yet to use the built-in ovens.  The countertop one has handled all our needs.  Have not even used it for the holiday turkeys because these get smoked. . The ovens are now convenient storage cabinets. sigh.

I had one of those ranges with the smaller oven on top. It was great overall. I rarely felt the need for two full sized ovens. When I had two ovens instead of one, it solved those multi-temperature meals where things needed to cook at different temps. I used the smaller oven more often- especially in the summer because it didn't hear up the house as much. I will agree with pp about getting things out of it. It was difficult to pull the rack out to get the thing cooked out. Even with that issue, if I was getting a new range, I would buy similar again. I have two full sized wall ovens currently in my new to us home and I don't find a big difference between them and the double oven range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk