Menu

Which Phonics package?

Momma4

Hi, my son is 6 years old and I feel he's ready to start phonics/beginning reading. He can read CVC words and words with beginning and end blends. We've used OPGTR on and off whenever he's felt like it but it's pretty boring for my son. As well as movement he needs something visual. I think he'd love logic of English with all the colours and dragons and the handwriting portions look good. I also like the look of AAR and love the sound of RLTL and WRTR. I'm a bit scared of WRTR and I don't think RLTL will keep his attention. And whilst the idea behind all these programmes really appeals to my need to know why brain, I'm not sure knowing all of the phonograms is absolutely necessary and I don't want to run the risk of boring him or over complicating things.

What phonics programmes would you recommend.

TIA

XXXX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the look of AAR but like so many programmes it's just so expensive and I'm worried I won't be able to do all the busy work stuff as I've got 2 other young children. But I am really tempted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, my son is 6 years old and I feel he's ready to start phonics/beginning reading. He can read CVC words and words with beginning and end blends. We've used OPGTR on and off whenever he's felt like it but it's pretty boring for my son. As well as movement he needs something visual. I think he'd love logic of English with all the colours and dragons and the handwriting portions look good. I also like the look of AAR and love the sound of RLTL and WRTR. I'm a bit scared of WRTR and I don't think RLTL will keep his attention. And whilst the idea behind all these programmes really appeals to my need to know why brain, I'm not sure knowing all of the phonograms is absolutely necessary and I don't want to run the risk of boring him or over complicating things.

What phonics programmes would you recommend.

TIA

XXXX

Spalding is not that scary. :-) (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual.) Here's the plan:

Teach the first 26 phonogram: first the phonograms that begin with circles, then the phonograms that begin with lines (there's a script). Then teach the next 54 phonograms (you don't need a script, because the method is the same.) Do oral and written review daily. Then begin teaching the words in the Extended Ayres List. There's a script for several, after which you don't need a script because the methodology is the same. Continue teaching new phonograms until all 70 have been taught. Continue daily review of phonograms. The end. :-)

That's really all there is to it. The manual explains the markings, explains the rules, explains, well, everything. You only need the manual (WRTR), a set of phonogram cards, and a sewn composition book for the spelling notebook (although it is optional for children under 8).

• Like 1

I love that AAR explains the rules, like when c says /s/ because I absolutely do not know them! Since I don't remember learning to read I was really stressed about how to teach it but AAR makes it really easy. I don't actually think it has much busy work. There is a short lesson and then one or two little games or exercises to have the child get a chance to try out what they've learned. For that part there is a couple of pages with some things to cut out which DS just cuts out as we get to it. Then the lesson ends with the fluency sheets. Generally every other lesson is followed by reading a story that practices the phonogram they'd learned the day before. When DS started AAR1 we went really slow and could spend days doing only a part of each lesson, then when it clicked we sped up and it goes very quickly now. It was easy for me to use with my clingy DD who was very jealous and not used to the idea of me sitting with DS but slowly she got used to it. The great part about AAR us that you can reuse the teachers manual so you'd only need to buy a workbook for the next child you'd be teaching so if you're going to be using it with more than one child I don't think it's too expensive.

• Like 1

I like aar. It is easy to implement. It's manageable with littler kids around because it's open and go. You don't need to prep activities or make word cards. You don't need to go scrounging around for readers and match them up to the sequence. Everything is just right there. I also think the method is easier for kids to build fluency with compared to the spell to read options. They are all good choices though, so ultimately you should probably choose what you think you can do consistently with a positive attitude. Aar and loe have relatively good resale and it sounds like choosing a program that is likely to work with many types of learners might be cheaper in the long run if you can use it for your youngers too.

• Like 1

I used AAR for my firstborn, and I'm doing loe foundations for my next kid. So far, I like the whole body activity and not those fluency pages that can overwhelm a child like AAR has.

Lots of bits and pieces, but I do think LOE is solid. Using Essentials with my firstborn now.

• Like 1

We use OPGTR. It can be boring, but I find it to be effective. I also do drill the phonograms a bit more. I made flash cards and a game for each new phonogram. I also make our own stories using DDs name. She loves that!

I also add in games. AAR has some free activities online you can print to use.

My Dd loves a game called POP! It practices silent e words with long vowels. You can find it for free on teacherspayteachers.com. I edited the pdf to add new words and concepts. We now play pop several times a week with whatever concept we are on.

I've used Pinterest a lot to find phonics games to make. We've done phonics bingo, race car blending (wrote words on racetrack and drive cars over them), and AAR ducks in a pond game.

I supplement with Nora Gaydos Now I'm Reading books, elephant and Piggie books, Bob books, and Buddy reading harder books.

There are ways to make OPGTR more fun. While other programs have more games included, the cost wasn't an option for us. We did AAR pre and enjoyed it, but this past year we would Have gone through aar1 and AAR 2. That's expensive for one year! I'd try to find ways to make it work.