Menu

2016-17 plans

LauraBeth475

Alright, I finished my speed-read of TWTM4, so let me type out my plans for this year and we'll see if anyone has suggestions. Please?

Boy in 8th grade - slower learner

Reading - something very step by step to work on comprehension.  The close reading kind; he does well enough with literary elements for now.  Practice for fluency from Catholic National Reader 4 (his pick)

Reading/Literature/History - probably Bookshark 5 (Eastern Hemisphere) or 6 (World History I).  I really love the idea behind the Eastern Hemisphere class, but this kid's science and history has suffered while we dealt with getting his reading skills up to grade level.  So I wonder if we shouldn't go through World History 1 and 2 the next two years and get a solid framework.  Plus SOTW at least has a respectable amount of non western history.  I have A Little History of the World, and was looking at that for a one year course, but it looks like it would be too dense for him.  I do also have a SOTW 1 set.

Math - Kumon tutoring plus CLE plus Khan Academy

Grammar - Step by Step Grammar combined with CLE Language Arts

Writing - practice dictation, outlining, and writing across the curriculum for now.  He just finished WTMA's Expository Writing Prep (highly recommend), and is having some writing exhaustion.

Spelling - continue with Megawords (excellent).  Wordly Wise 7

Science - either Bookshark Science 6 or maybe make up my own plans based on What's Science All About and the suggestions in TWTM.  I was looking at Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy for the whole group, but he is also going to be doing a 2 hr a week science class at a local museum, so we might be getting to more science time than I have.

Girl in 3rd grade - basically Hermione

Spelling  - Spelling Workout

Reading - Catholic National Reader 3.  Finish Explode the Code Online.  Maybe continue with Lexia for Homeschool or a MCP Word Study book, or maybe be done with phonics.

History - Sonlight B, which I already have, along with some extra maps from Knowledge Quest and notebooking pages

Literature - The Read Aloud books in that history core are about the level of what she reads for fun, so I think we will popcorn read them while little sister listens in.

Science - outside science class for 2 hrs a week.  Maybe Elemental Science, or an hour or two each week of biology and life science ideas from TWTM that go along with the class. 

Math - Singapore and Beast Academy.  Kumon.

Latin - Song School Latin

Grammar - CLE

Writing - narrations and dictation.  Some time to work on creative writing.

Girl in 2nd grade - bright but limited fine motor skills and patience

Spelling - Spelling Workout

Phonics - Explode the Code online

Reading - Sonlight second grade readers, if I can figure out where I lost the lesson plans.  Or just easy readers from the shelf.

Math - Singapore.  Start Kumon.

Grammar - English for the Thoughtful Child

Writing - copywork, lots of coloring and tracing to work on the motor skills

History - Core B with her sister

Science/Latin - tag along with big sister as well

As I read your plans for your 8th grader, I started feeling stressed with the amount of work you have him doing. Even in 8th grade, I would focus on the core stuff with a slow learner. Your core stuff is also quite a lot. Reading it through again, I saw the comment about writing exhaustion.

I think with grammar and math CLE is enough. I'd have reservations about CLE LA 800 level. My impression has been that it's overwhelming and even CLE lovers aren't crazy about it. But maybe you're not using the 800 level? Step By Step seems nice. I'm curious why you would want both. Maybe CLE at a lower level is enough. Maybe the 500 level. Typical learners sometimes get burned out in 600.

I also think CLE math is enough. I've BTDT after pulling a kid out of school in 8th and it worked wonderfully.

Edited because I hit submit too soon.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1

As a slow learner, what are his difficulties?

I would say reading comprehension might be the last thing you would want to give up.

Reading comprehension could be hit in different ways, within history or science, for example, with the right materials and your involvement.

• Like 1

As a slow learner, what are his difficulties?

I would say reading comprehension might be the last thing you would want to give up.

Reading comprehension could be hit in different ways, within history or science, for example, with the right materials and your involvement.

Math is his big challenge right now.  Also spelling and grammar rules.  Anything that requires internalizing rules and patterns.

Math is his big challenge right now. Also spelling and grammar rules. Anything that requires internalizing rules and patterns.

With this information, I would definitely dump Wordly Wise and focus on Megawords.

I'd also focus on CLE for math and not bring anything else in unless you need help with explanations.

CLE LA might be a good choice. I don't really have a better suggestion, but I almost think you might want to address grammar in a very functional way through writing. I even wonder if something like Evan Moor Daily Language Review would work, just carefully correcting and rewriting a couple of sentences everyday. I just don't know if taking on complex grammar would be all that helpful for life.

• Like 1

Version 2.0

Boy in 8th grade - slower learner

Reading - Reading Detective Rx. Practice for fluency from Catholic National Reader 4 (his pick)

Reading/Literature/History - Bookshark 6 (World History 1)  Using the SOTW audiobooks I already have to keep the reading manageable.

Math - CLE and Kumon tutoring.

Grammar - CLE Language Arts

Writing - practice dictation, outlining, and writing across the curriculum for now.  He just finished WTMA's Expository Writing Prep (highly recommend), and is having some writing exhaustion.

Spelling - continue with Megawords (excellent).

Science - either Bookshark Science 6 or Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy.  Waiting to see what he has in time for this subject.  He is also going to be doing a 2 hr a week science class at a local museum.

Girl in 3rd grade - basically Hermione

Spelling  - Spelling Workout

Reading - Catholic National Reader 3.  Finish Explode the Code Online.  Maybe continue with Lexia for Homeschool or a MCP Word Study book, or maybe be done with phonics.

History - Sonlight B, which I already have, along with some extra maps from Knowledge Quest and notebooking pages

Literature - The Read Aloud books in that history core are about the level of what she reads for fun, so I think we will popcorn read them while little sister listens in.

Science - outside science class for 2 hrs a week.  Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy.

Math - Singapore and Beast Academy.  Kumon.

Latin - Song School Latin

Grammar - CLE

Writing - narrations and dictation.  Some time to work on creative writing.

Girl in 2nd grade - bright but limited fine motor skills and patience

Spelling - Spelling Workout

Phonics - Explode the Code online

Reading - Sonlight second grade readers, if I can figure out where I lost the lesson plans.  Or just easy readers from the shelf.

Math - Singapore.  Start Kumon.

Grammar - English for the Thoughtful Child

Writing - copywork, lots of coloring and tracing to work on the motor skills

History - Core B with her sister

Science/Latin - tag along with big sister as well

Edited by LauraBeth475