Menu

Beginning German?

My high schooler is wanting to get a couple years of German under her belt. I can't afford tuition for an online class. Hoping for something mostly book-based, possible supplemented with some online instruction like DuoLingo. Anyone have good book recommendations?

Check to see if your library has Pimsleur. It's my favorite. You could also try FSI which is available free online. A bit dated, but very, very thorough. Duolingo is free and would be a start. It's better than Rosetta Stone any day.

I can't think of any good books to learn from. They tend to go too fast. You need to break it down more. German Made Simple looks good. I loved the Schaum's Outline books.

To be honest, if you are going to dyi, go with what is readily available. When you hit a wall, switch it up with something else and keep going. I have found language learning forums and blogs to be very motivating.

• Like 1

This is my new favorite site. For Spanish, at least, it's been a great audio supplement.

Check with your library to see if they provide access to online programs.

I didn't know Language Transfer had German. I did it for Greek for a missions trip. I learned alot and retained well. Even more than I did with Pimsleur (which is still my favorite). I'll keep this on my list of resources. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Like 1

I didn't know Language Transfer had German. I did it for Greek for a missions trip. I learned alot and retained well. Even more than I did with Pimsleur (which is still my favorite). I'll keep this on my list of resources. Thanks for reminding me.

I am using both Pimsleur and Language Transfer.  They have worked very well together.

I could never find a program we liked.  Do you speak German?  My oldest two are studying German and I ended up just putting their class together myself (I have a minor in German).  I use the Komm Mit series as a spine (they're textbooks - I think McGraw-Hill?).  Every week, I give them 10-20 vocabulary words, an irregular verb conjugation, a grammar rule and passages to translate.  I want to add in a video to watch each week (I was doing that for awhile, but haven't started that up again yet).  I really need to add more listening components to their class.

That was the best I could come up with.  It's near-impossible to teach a foreign language at home!  If I can find an outside class somewhere, I'm just going to enroll my kids in it (not encouraging, I know).

• Like 1