Menu

Swim moms....equipment advice

UCF612

My son recently started on a competitive team after being on a casual rec team for years. He needs to have his own kick board, fins and pool buoy. Plus he needs a better swim bag to hold it all.

Do I just go to swimoutlet.com and pick something at random or are there differences I need to be aware of? Fin sizing? For reference he's 9, wears a size 4 shoe.

I think you want a mesh bag for the in water gear. And back pack for clothing and shower items and stuff that is dry.

When I work pool opening during the year ( those horrible hours when only club swimmers are in the water at practice) that's what the kids bring. They drag the gear bag on deck.

• Like 1

Find. Has your ds worn fins before? They usually come in size ranges (1-3, 3-5 etc). Size ranges match shoe size, but you know shoe size varies.

If the club has extras or you can try on other swimmers fins that might be best to start. Generally I've found the size range is on the lower end-- a 1-3 fin fits sizees 1-2. But the fin need to be tight fitting. Because of your ds age I'd expect to replace them due to growth at least once this year.

The kick board and pull-buoy can be used for many years. Do you have to get fins with a full heel/boot, or can he use ones with a strap that would be adjustable? I'd also ask how much they use fins per week or month. I don't remember ever having to have these. They take up a huge amount of space in a pool when everyone uses them. I'd spend as little as possible on these. 

Also, won't he need hand paddles, or do they not use these anymore? They used to be pretty standard, but training styles may have changed.

For the swim bag, it's pretty common for the swim club to have bags with their logo and name on them. They are nice to have, but not required.  Once you get all the gear, remember to put your name on the stuff. ;)

Hope he has a great season!

Coach said they have a team cap and shirts but everything else is personal preference. He has worn fins a lot but he always borrowed them from the stash his old team had. I never paid attention to the size. I don't think they use them frequently but he still has to have them. He does need paddles, I'd forgotten that! They don't appear to have a set type of team bag. The pile I see at practice is mixed.