Menu

Boys pants -- arghhh...

mlktwins

So my boys are at the age (11) where size 8 pants are 2 inches too short and the size 10/12's are 4 inches too long.  Add to that I have one skinny boy who doesn't like pants/shorts to hang on his waist and his twin that doesn't like things tight on his waist and I'm :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly: !!!  I'm looking for sports style pants without elastic at the ankle, but at the rate I'm going, I think they may be wearing shorts this winter!!!

• Like 2

So my boys are at the age (11) where size 8 pants are 2 inches too short and the size 10/12's are 4 inches too long.  Add to that I have one skinny boy who doesn't like pants/shorts to hang on his waist and his twin that doesn't like things tight on his waist and I'm :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly: !!!  I'm looking for sports style pants without elastic at the ankle, but at the rate I'm going, I think they may be wearing shorts this winter!!!

All things considered, I think I'd probably buy what fits and is comfortable in the waist, and hem them to fit for length.

My DD found herself in a similar position--she's short and so what fits at the waist is way too long. For some reason they don't seem to have much in the way of petite junior size stuff. Our solution was for all her pants to have tapered legs, because then it just bunches at the ankle but doesn't drag below the heel--no boot cut yoga pants for her! 

DIY hemming or elastic ankles may be your best options.

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 1

Yep, mine needs a skinny waist and legs, but long. Must be athletic pants, and can't be baggy.

Last year, I got lucky on occasion at Gap. H&M has been working too, though I'm holding my breath I can find them with long enough legs this year and meet the skinny waist requisite.

Leggings are our friend. :)

• Like 1

Same boat here. My 10 year old DS will only wear all elastic waist pants. So we are stuck with athletic pants. He needs about a size 12-14 in the waist, but a size 10 for the length!

Have you tried LL Bean?

Your son has opposite needs of mine, and their pants sound like they might work. They have some terrific athletic pants right now for the right body type.

• Like 1

same issues.  dudeling only likes athletic pants.  old navy has them with no ankle elastic.   for his non-elastic waisted/zip pants, I have to have an elastic in the waist.  the ones where the elastic runs through the waist band and attaches with buttons on the inside are great.  you can adjust how much elastic pull they have.

and since most will really start sprouting . . . .I have a nephew who grew four inches in two months.

• Like 1

Oh. I hear ya. My oldest is 5"7, thin and muscular. Finding a school uniform has been a nightmare. He starts school on Monday and we're hoping the pants we ordered from Amazon that are supposed to arrive tomorrow fit right. I already sent a whole pile back.

• Like 1

My son currently needs a 28-34 pant. Guess how many companies make 28-34s?  :glare:

And I have both of these....oh my word. My 11 yr old just had to go into 12s, which are only a smidge too long but way too big on the waist. The 10s are a better fit waist-wise, but not quite long enough. :sigh:

Then the teens are both in a 29x34, which we cannot find anywhere, even on line. Awesome. Although it exists, unlike the 28x34...just "sold out."

I hate jean shopping. So much.

• Like 1

I have to have an elastic in the waist.  the ones where the elastic runs through the waist band and attaches with buttons on the inside are great.  you can adjust how much elastic pull they have.

I like Gymboree for those. Of course, in the OP's case, I'd probably buy each twin his own pants, because I'd worry that adjusting the waist all the time might end up stretching the holes in the elastic too much. She'd need enough pants for both kids anyway.

I bought my 9yo a stack of size 7 pants recently. I hope that he'll grow some more before winter though, since they're on the long side. Sigh. They're supposed to fit kids 48-51" (he's 49"), and, more importantly, the size 6s were starting to be maybe half an inch too short. Also, my 5.75yo will need them in the winter - he's about 45.5", and the size 6s are from 45-48". My boys are exactly 3.25 years apart - I *should* be able to use hand-me-downs!  It's bad enough that my oldest has been rough on his pants these past couple of years.

The hardest thing is swimshorts though. My oldest wore size 4-5 this past year and this summer, and my youngest size 3. I really don't know what swim shorts designers are smoking.

• Like 1

I like Gymboree for those. Of course, in the OP's case, I'd probably buy each twin his own pants, because I'd worry that adjusting the waist all the time might end up stretching the holes in the elastic too much. She'd need enough pants for both kids anyway.

I bought my 9yo a stack of size 7 pants recently. I hope that he'll grow some more before winter though, since they're on the long side. Sigh. They're supposed to fit kids 48-51" (he's 49"), and, more importantly, the size 6s were starting to be maybe half an inch too short. Also, my 5.75yo will need them in the winter - he's about 45.5", and the size 6s are from 45-48". My boys are exactly 3.25 years apart - I *should* be able to use hand-me-downs!  It's bad enough that my oldest has been rough on his pants these past couple of years.

The hardest thing is swimshorts though. My oldest wore size 4-5 this past year and this summer, and my youngest size 3. I really don't know what swim shorts designers are smoking.

They do get their own pants, but that means I need the same length and 2 different types of waists. Crazy -- LOL. Swim suits used to be a nightmare until they started on swim team. Now they wear jammers (even for everyday swim) that fit snug and won't fall off. They love them!!!

All things considered, I think I'd probably buy what fits and is comfortable in the waist, and hem them to fit for length.

My DD found herself in a similar position--she's short and so what fits at the waist is way too long. For some reason they don't seem to have much in the way of petite junior size stuff. Our solution was for all her pants to have tapered legs, because then it just bunches at the ankle but doesn't drag below the heel--no boot cut yoga pants for her! 

DIY hemming or elastic ankles may be your best options.

As a petite adult, petite pants are hard to find period.

The good thing (For me) is that skirts are nice and long on me

• Like 2

My DS12 will only wear athletic pants as well. We find we have to bounce between brands. One year one will fit but then we need to find a different brand when he outgrows them (either waist or length). But the next growth puts us back in the first brand! He really likes the Starter ones at Walmart and the C9 ones at Target - so saves me from having to get more spendy ones!

• Like 1

Children's place jeans also has the elastic that goes all the way through.  We just bought size 5 Skinny for our 5 year old -- We had the elastic waist pulled in about 8 slots on each side and it still was too big so I said "Lets try the skinny pair" and they fit better.  Even though JC Penny 5 Skinny jeans did not fit at ALL.

• Like 1

OP here. Thanks for the tips! I usually get them one pair of jeans and a pair of khakis to cover fall/winter/early spring -- the rest are athletic pants. For the jeans and khakis, I've had great luck in the past 2 years with GAP pants (adjustable waist). For dress shorts, I've had luck with Crazy 8 (adjustable waist). I'm not sure how well that will go this year with the length issue!

I don't want to buy too much because I've been hearing about this big growth spurt that will happen soon and don't want to be left with a bunch of pants that were worn for a month. For some of the thin athletic pants (and PJ bottoms), I've been tacking the waist for the skinny one. That has worked well, but these 10/12's are so long. I don't think it's easy to hem that slinky material.

I think I'm going to have trouble with baseball pants this fall too :-( !!!

For athletic pants, both of my boys have started wearing soccer-style pants. They're slimmer and tapered at the ankle, so they don't drag along the ground if they're a little too long, and look fine with the right socks even if they're a little short. Like these Nike and Adidas ones. Might be worth a try. 

• Like 2

My son currently needs a 28-34 pant. Guess how many companies make 28-34s?  :glare:

Probably about as many made the 29x36 that we were looking for a few years ago.  I was actual grateful to find 32x36 by the time i was done shopping.  I've learned to artful arrange extra fabric around his waist. 

But Levi seems to be the only place to make remotely affordable jeans for this size range. I have learned that some of the teen shops like American Eagle, Banana Republic and Aeropostle will have some closer to these sizes online. They are quite pricey in my book but it was all I could find.  I happened upon a clearance pair in store once and then a family in our church gave us 5 pairs of Levi jeans and 4 suits in 31x36.  So we have been set for several years now.  DS is now 18 and I've told him from here on out he gets to buy his clothes.  He hates clothes shopping even more than I do so he is super careful with his clothes because he doesn't want to have to replace them.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

My boys are on the skinny side but have long torsos so that all the pants are too tight in the crotch. It's impossible. I'm hoping they grow eventually into something that works.

Right now I'm just grateful that Children's Place still has pants for 12 yos that have elastic waists.

• Like 1

My 9 yr old son wore 8slim last year. I have no idea what we will do this year, look for a different brand I guess. Last year was Children's Place (they sell slim online, love the shorts!) and then Old Navy. If I got what fit in the waist, pants would be 5-6 inches too short. 

As for athletic pants, they only brand that has worked for him is Nike, I doubt we'll have an easy time finding anything this year. He had some sevens last year that were barely long enough. I have never seen slim in athletic pants, though that's what he needs

My DH wears 32x36, which get too short after a while. I swear they shrink over time. The last round of work pants were from Gap, tailored khakis, and they have been great! You have to buy online though. He wears his athletic pants very low on the hips, and they are still kind of short.

• Like 1