Menu

1st grade science recommendations?

I've been using NOEO with all of mine from 1-6th and we really enjoy it. It is made up of mostly living books in the early elementary with TOPS kits and a combo of living books with colorful encyclopedias alongside TOPS kits for late elementary/middle school. Great book selections and experiments. It doesn't have worksheets but relies on narration/note booking for output.

My 1st grader is using SCM's Outdoor Secrets.  It alternates chapters from the Outdoor Secrets books with poems, picture books, and nature notebook entries.  

LOVE Outdoor Secrets! And, it would be a perfect, easy, FUN science for a 1st grader.

ETA: In general I also like Elemental Science. However I wouldn't use Biology for the Grammar stage unless your dc really likes animals! 

Edited by kalusignan

I've been using NOEO with all of mine from 1-6th and we really enjoy it. It is made up of mostly living books in the early elementary with TOPS kits and a combo of living books with colorful encyclopedias alongside TOPS kits for late elementary/middle school. Great book selections and experiments. It doesn't have worksheets but relies on narration/note booking for output.[/quote

Can you tell me what is NOEO? And TOPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using NOEO with all of mine from 1-6th and we really enjoy it. It is made up of mostly living books in the early elementary with TOPS kits and a combo of living books with colorful encyclopedias alongside TOPS kits for late elementary/middle school. Great book selections and experiments. It doesn't have worksheets but relies on narration/note booking for output.[/quote

Can you tell me what is NOEO? And TOPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check it out! http://www.logospressonline.com/noeo. Logos press distributes the packages now (and I've had great experiences with their customer service) but the curriculum was written by a hs'ing dad/veterinarian. They talk about TOPS kits in the write up on the website.

• Like 1

Library books, lots of time in nature and an occasional Magic Schoolbus video. Keep it simple.

This worked very well for us. I also bought two DK science encyclopedias (Animal and Nature). We read through them and discussed. For animals, they made a list of ones they wanted to study. I grouped them into mammals/reptiles/birds/etc, printed out a coloring page for each (one per week), read about that animal in the science encyclopedia, and found a clip on YouTube about the animal. It was so simple and they loved it (Gr. 1+2).

• Like 2

My resources are not Christian, but since you used "preferred" and not "only" I'll throw them in.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding - this is a manual for the parent/teacher, not the student. Each topic explains to you how to go about teaching it, including a list of library books that would be useful and a demonstration or hands-on activity. This does have information on adaptations/evolution and old earth, which for me are major pluses for the curric. However, since the book is written to the parent and not the student, it would be an easy matter to leave out anything you disagree with.

Mystery Science is an online program that is currently offering a free school year's worth of access (they're normally $130 so jump on this now if you might be interested). I have not used it, but it is reportedly loosely based on the topics and approaches of the aforementioned BFSU, but without the planning work for the parent.

• Like 1

Go outside and explore nature and do some nature studies. Handbookofnaturestudy.com has some great ideas. Get a caterpillar kit and an any farm.

Among the Meadow People and other similar books by Clara Pierson are really good for that age. Short chapters about animals and how they live.

Let's Read and Find Out books are a hit with my kids, too.

Get a bird house, bird feeders, etc and note which birds visit your yard. Look them up in the Burgess Bird Book and color a picture of them.