Menu

High school grammar suggestions

I like Rod & Staff English, we skipped the writing lessons and just did the grammar. We used level 7 at the early high school level. I think level 8 would be appropriate as well. I can't remember why we opted not to use the 9th or 10th grade level. I think it has to do with differing content. Hopefully someone else can remark on any differences. 

• Like 1

It's designed for middle school, but you could use all 3 seasons of Analytical Grammar over 1 year for a good complete high school program. After doing AG my kids just use the review books every once in a while to keep themselves sharp during high school. AG usually took us about 1/2 hour each day.

• Like 1

We used the grammar portion of Abeka's Grammar and Composition series. It was thorough, painless (the kids corrected their own work using the Teacher manual) and easy to complete one book in one year spending just 15 minutes or so per day. I think you could start with either level I or level III, depending on how firm a grasp of grammar your dc has already. Each book kind of starts at the beginning with the basics (so you don't miss anything starting with a later book), but each successive book covers the earlier topics more and more briefly and goes on to present/teach more and more advanced grammar topics. Does that make sense?? So Grammar I and Grammar III will both start with the same topics, but Grammar I will spend more time on the basics, while Grammar III will move more quickly through them and cover more ground than Grammar I. If my memory is right, Grammar II and IV cover just a couple more topics beyond I and III respectively.

Anyway, we liked A Beka--it didn't take a lot of time and both my kids turned into excellent "grammarians"! :) Hope this helps.

Edited by Musicmom
  • Like 1

I thank you for sharing your experiences with various high school grammar texts.  They're all great programs; as I looked through sample pages I found interesting qualities to each one. Queens Homeschool Supplies is a company I hadn't heard of before.  I did decide to purchase Easy Grammar Plus, but with Daily Grams for quick review.  Easy Grammar Ultimate would've been my first choice; it has lots of short cumulative review for the student already proficient in most aspects of Grammar.