Menu

Mine is in town and should be delivered today. I did use the Look Inside feature on Amazon to peek. For anyone else who's still waiting, it's helpful, especially if you've read a previous edition.

Edited by whitehawk

Made it to the high school section! Again, not comparing side by side with the 3rd edition so I may just have forgotten what was in there.

Surprised and intrigued to see SWB argue for holding off on the progym until high school and including an accelerated table for putting the high school student through Memoria Press' Classical Composition course from fable to laws (I think that's the last one).

In the section on screens and technology, she holds firm that a classical education is text/writing based, but is a wee bit more generous on the benefits of video and computer learning than in the last edition.

I don't think there were any radical new curriculum introductions in the printed edition at any grade level (no MCT or LOE which there was forum input on), I haven't looked yet but I suspect they are on the online list of curriculum options.

• Like 1

Thankyou for linking to it. 😊 Unfortunately the site is saying that the kindle version is currently unavailable for purchase. Is it the same for you or is it because I'm in Australia? Just wondering....

Thankyou for linking to it. 😊 Unfortunately the site is saying that the kindle version is currently unavailable for purchase. Is it the same for you or is it because I'm in Australia? Just wondering....

I'm guessing Australia - it says "Buy now with 1-click" and "Deliver to: [my name]'s kindle" for me.

I'm not buying this one because I have only a 12th grader left, but I just checked both library systems that we use. Neither has it on order, so I'll probably put that into their suggestion system. I'm sure that others would like to borrow it that way.

I'd really like to page through it at some point just to see. I bought the first edition when my college kid was a preschooler!

• Like 3

I placed a purchase request at my library last weekend, and they approved it. But, they take 2 weeks to 3 months in my experience to actually get the book and process it (usually about a month). My main hope is they'll keep it at my branch - I think there's a good chance, since they usually keep things at the branch you request it at, and it's one of the bigger branches, and unlike the other bigger branches, it doesn't have an older version, but we'll see (I have the previous edition on my kindle, or I would've bought it).

Yay, they've got it! Now if only my kid didn't have a dentist appointment right at the time the library opens... :cursing:

• Like 1

I'm not buying this one because I have only a 12th grader left, but I just checked both library systems that we use. Neither has it on order, so I'll probably put that into their suggestion system. I'm sure that others would like to borrow it that way.

I'd really like to page through it at some point just to see. I bought the first edition when my college kid was a preschooler!

I think that is a fabulous idea, I need to do the same with my libraries. That's how I read it the first time.

I'm loving it!  I read the third edition about 5 years ago, when we first started homeschooling.  This one makes classical seem more attainable.  I still don't think I can be strict classical, especially with my oldest, but there is a lot of good stuff in there. 

The science sections alone were worth the $20 for the Kindle edition. I went from "meh, we'll get to science eventually," to "ALL THE SCIENCE AND MICROSCOPES AND PRETTY BOOKS!!!!"

• Like 4

soo annoyed, I'm 5th in line at the library. I might get it around Thanksgiving, if I am lucky. I can't BELIEVE I was so slow to get myself on the list...I'm usually better than that.

I'm 27th of 7 copies. I just didn't think my library system would order it that quickly so I didn't even check. Guess there was a rush to request it since they ordered 7 copies!

I'm loving it!  I read the third edition about 5 years ago, when we first started homeschooling.  This one makes classical seem more attainable.  I still don't think I can be strict classical, especially with my oldest, but there is a lot of good stuff in there. 

The science sections alone were worth the $20 for the Kindle edition. I went from "meh, we'll get to science eventually," to "ALL THE SCIENCE AND MICROSCOPES AND PRETTY BOOKS!!!!"

I agree with the bolded especially.  I have the first and third editions too, but I think this one makes it seem actually doable.  At least for me  :001_smile:   Loving the science sections too!

• Like 1