Menu

PSA:TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator failed, after 2 semesters of Algebra 1

Lanny

IMO very little use.  Purchased Brand New from Amazon during July 2016. The warranty (in the USA), was valid for one year.

The problem with the calculator we bought last year (as with a cell phone, tablet or many other things, may be caused by:

(a) The battery (b) the charger © the charging circuit inside the calculator, or (d) the cable.

DD tried the things shown on the TI Support web site in a KB (Knowledge Base) article, but was unable to restore operation.

Going from the specifications T.I. showed, this new model of the TI-84 Graphing Calculator, with a Rechargable Battery, Color Display, etc., seemed like the best product to purchase.

However, since the one we purchased Brand New (from Amazon) failed, after 2 semesters of light use for Algebra 1, I am now wondering about the Durability of this model and probably if we need to buy another graphing calculator, we should buy one that uses regular batteries...

We bought same time as yours. We bought two, one for each kid. Do you charge using the charger on a power strip with a surge protector? My guess is that either the charger or the battery is fried. My childhood home was rewired because too many electrical appliances trip and we change many fuses, my home was on the top floor of a high rise.

• Like 1

We bought same time as yours. We bought two, one for each kid. Do you charge using the charger on a power strip with a surge protector? My guess is that either the charger or the battery is fried. My childhood home was rewired because too many electrical appliances trip and we change many fuses, my home was on the top floor of a high rise.

I think DD has it plugged into a surge protector when she charges it.  I have a spare heavy duty (2.1A) USB charger I bought for our magicJack.  It is for iPhones, etc.   I am going to have DD try that, with a brand new cable I have, tomorrow.  If it won't work with those, then my guess is that the rechargeable battery or the charging circuit has failed.  

If it is the rechargeable battery that is fried, the old freezer trick for laptop/cordless phones rechargeable batteries might work.

Also make sure the charger is not overheating. My kindle charger overheats sometimes and I would move it to another socket or use another charger.

Good luck.

• Like 1

It is alive again! :hurray:   There are two (2) batteries in it. One battery is BBU (Battery Back Up) for the RAM (Memory).   DD may have done 2 things wrong. First, she told us that the screen blanks after 5 seconds and that possibly it was turned on, when she thought it was turned off. Secondly, this may not be good for the calculator, when she used it, she had it plugged in and it was charging.  I am wondering whether it is better to run on battery power and then charge when the batteries are down.

NOTE:

If anyone else has an issue with one of these calculators, the solution was NOT on this first TI web page:

https://epsstore.ti.com/OA_HTML/csksxvm.jsp?nSetId=135537

The solution was on this TI web page:

https://epsstore.ti.com/OA_HTML/csksxvm.jsp?jttst0=6_23871%2C23871%2C-1%2C0%2C&jtfm0=&etfm1=&jfn=ZGC96F049238F975E56F7535FA33601B10919073F24E5E0FCB084C41EAE256D88571FFDF8B6530FED19EE29BE3F8C024F640&oas=mP05uBHf2UK_kw7hb_jwtA..&nSetId=137891&nBrowseCategoryId=14226&cskViewSolSourcePage=cskmbasicsrch.jsp%3FcategoryId%3D14226%26fRange%3Dnull%26fStartRow%3D0%26fSortBy%3D2%26fSortByOrder%3D1

NOTE: I did not need to reinstall the OS...

Edited by Lanny

I am wondering whether it is better to run on battery power and then charge when the batteries are down.

Rechargeable batteries are usually good for a limited amount of charging cycles. So every time anyone charge a half drained battery, it still counts as a cycle. Rechargeable batteries technology has definitely gotten better than the old cordless phones, cellphones ones but it is still better to let the battery fully discharge before recharging.

My kindle that I used the most often and iPhone battery power has definitely degenerated. My kids' kindles which are less often used are holding their charge well.

• Like 1

It is alive again! :hurray:   There are two (2) batteries in it. One battery is BBU (Battery Back Up) for the RAM (Memory).   DD may have done 2 things wrong. First, she told us that the screen blanks after 5 seconds and that possibly it was turned on, when she thought it was turned off. Secondly, this may not be good for the calculator, when she used it, she had it plugged in and it was charging.  I am wondering whether it is better to run on battery power and then charge when the batteries are down.

NOTE:

If anyone else has an issue with one of these calculators, the solution was NOT on this first TI web page:

https://epsstore.ti.com/OA_HTML/csksxvm.jsp?nSetId=135537

The solution was on this TI web page:

https://epsstore.ti.com/OA_HTML/csksxvm.jsp?jttst0=6_23871%2C23871%2C-1%2C0%2C&jtfm0=&etfm1=&jfn=ZGC96F049238F975E56F7535FA33601B10919073F24E5E0FCB084C41EAE256D88571FFDF8B6530FED19EE29BE3F8C024F640&oas=mP05uBHf2UK_kw7hb_jwtA..&nSetId=137891&nBrowseCategoryId=14226&cskViewSolSourcePage=cskmbasicsrch.jsp%3FcategoryId%3D14226%26fRange%3Dnull%26fStartRow%3D0%26fSortBy%3D2%26fSortByOrder%3D1

NOTE: I did not need to reinstall the OS...

Definitely run on the battery and then charge when batteries are down. I have had students use these for a couple of years with no problem, but the vast majority of the time they aren't charging because they are in class. I am glad it is alive again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Follow on: This  is the replacement battery I bought for the calculator.  It is in a carton with 3 other things and should be in/out of Customs tomorrow. Hopefully the carton will be delivered to our house on Saturday or next Monday.

I bought this non OEM battery because at the time it was $9.95 and also because I was/am not happy with what I consider to be a short life of the T.I. OEM battery that was installed at the factory. Now, it is $12.95 including shipping in the USA.

I have my fingers crossed and will pray that this battery brings the calculator back to normal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rechargeable-Battery-for-TI-84-Plus-CE-TI-Nspire-CX-and-TI-Nspire-CX-CAS-/331925997929?hash=item4d4854c969:g:AIQAAOSwtnpXoAp1

I almost bought this, but at the last minute, went with the next step down.  Maybe good luck for me.

IMO very little use.  Purchased Brand New from Amazon during July 2016. The warranty (in the USA), was valid for one year.

The problem with the calculator we bought last year (as with a cell phone, tablet or many other things, may be caused by:
(a) The battery (b) the charger © the charging circuit inside the calculator, or (d) the cable.

DD tried the things shown on the TI Support web site in a KB (Knowledge Base) article, but was unable to restore operation.

Going from the specifications T.I. showed, this new model of the TI-84 Graphing Calculator, with a Rechargable Battery, Color Display, etc., seemed like the best product to purchase.

However, since the one we purchased Brand New (from Amazon) failed, after 2 semesters of light use for Algebra 1, I am now wondering about the Durability of this model and probably if we need to buy another graphing calculator, we should buy one that uses regular batteries...

• Like 1

Good news and to close this thread. Today we received a carton from Miami with 4 items, including a non OEM (not made for TI) replacement battery.  I removed the original battery and installed the battery I bought from an eBay Seller.  VERY HAPPY to report that the TI-84 Plus CE we bought for DD from Amazon, during July 2015 is working properly again.   :hurray:

• Like 3