Menu

Move in 2016-17 stories - post them here!

TechWife

Another time when you visit you should check out Souvlaki's for authentic Greek or Mike's for the best burgers I've ever had (they have other things too if you don't care for pizza). Both are very close to Upper Quad, so your guy should know where they are by the time you get back. I'm sure Corps members will share the tidbits on good eating. We saw Corps members at both when we visited back in Feb.

There are other decent restaurants around too, of course, some old and some new, but those are the two hubby and I choose when we're visiting for just a day or two.

And Carol Lee for doughnuts!

• Like 2

Another time when you visit you should check out Souvlaki's for authentic Greek or Mike's for the best burgers I've ever had (they have other things too if you don't care for pizza).  Both are very close to Upper Quad, so your guy should know where they are by the time you get back.  I'm sure Corps members will share the tidbits on good eating.  We saw Corps members at both when we visited back in Feb.

There are other decent restaurants around too, of course, some old and some new, but those are the two hubby and I choose when we're visiting for just a day or two.

Those sound great.  We were certainly enjoying all of the restaurants that don't have an outlet in Hawaii.  We amused outselves by sending home selfies with ChickFilA and Skyline Coneys.

• Like 1

Alas, Carol Lee went out of business a few years ago.  Hubby is still in mourning.  They were the absolute best for doughnuts.

ETA:  I googled to see if I could find when they went out of business and noticed that they simply moved to North Main (in 2000) rather than going out entirely!  It's not a quick walk for students anymore (sigh), but hubby will be rejoicing when I share the news with him.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/new_river_valley/a-day-in-the-life-of-carol-lee/article_7e668b74-ba08-58d8-bbf7-2d1d99e339aa.html

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to google them before.  I guess we just walked around and noticed differences rather than googling them.

Edited by creekland

Another time when you visit you should check out Souvlaki's for authentic Greek or Mike's for the best burgers I've ever had (they have other things too like pizza if you don't care for burgers). Both are very close to Upper Quad, so your guy should know where they are by the time you get back. I'm sure Corps members will share the tidbits on good eating. We saw Corps members at both when we visited back in Feb.

There are quite a few options just off campus. Between orientation and drop off, I made a point the try a few nonchain places with dd. She has celiac and knows what chains she can go to.

The Cellar (a bar but there is a restaurant too. I thought the food was quite good considering it looked primarily a bar. My brother has informed me that upstairs is definitely a restaurant) and they definitely know how to do gf

Gillies. This place used to be an ice cream place in the early 80s I think. Now it is a restaurant serving good food with vegetarian, vegan and gf options

Bollos. Around corner from Gillies is a great little bakery. It does gf items two days a week.

Cabo Fish Taco l believe this is a chainb, but we'd never been. Ample servings of a variety of taco and burrito type foods. Our tacos were great.

I remember seeing Carol Lee not close to campus a few years ago. I remember that was great, but with celiac there's no point in me pointing that out to dd.

• Like 2

It's done!

We took the red eye out Thursday night and arrived in DC Friday morning.  Our wonderful Airbnb host gave Sailor Dude his own room since there was no guest for it that night.  I think ds enjoyed some final alone time to wrap watching Twin Peaks. Dinner at a favorite Lebanese restaurant.

Sailor Dude's move-in time started at noon on Saturday.  We took Uber in and fortunately found a place close to the dorm where the driver could drop us, do u-turn, and make fast tracks out of there. We later learned that some families waited in the car line as long as an hour and a half. I was stunned at the insane amount of stuff that the kids had.

Ds is in a triple.  He had one large suitcase (which we checked), a small suitcase that stays there, and a backpack for class.  He probably could have managed with one suitcase if he didn't have sailing and hiking boots as well as his life jacket. I shipped a box of books and we ordered the box of linens package that Kinsa has recommended in another thread.  It was a very easy move-in and the box of linens was a life saver when we realized ds's roommate from China had no idea he needed linens. We were able to offer him an extra set of sheets and a blanket until he could get to the store or order some.  Both boys looked fairly minimalistic when the roomie from Brooklyn arrived.  Ds said later that the poor guy was embarrassed by the quantity of stuff his mom had packed. He also hadn't wanted to be in a triple.  The room seemed really cramped, but fortunately the girls next door had left their door open and their room arrangement was brilliant.  The guys decided they were going to copy it.

We had dinner with friends both Friday and Saturday night and ds was able to meet recent graduates from Wesleyen and William and Mary.  Dh and I have decided we have a better social life in DC then we do at home!  I am so grateful to dh's long time friends that have offered to be emergency contacts. That makes me feel so much better with the boy all the way across country from us.

Sailor Dude was the most animated I have seen him in a long time when we met up with him for breakfast Sunday morning. He said his roommates weren't the most social guys so he had been wandering the halls and meeting people. He ran some errands Sunday afternoon and met a grad student from Kenya who was here to study security sector reform, which is a hot topic for ds, so they exchanged info.

On Monday, we left on the long but beautiful drive to NC to see dh's nearly 96 yo mother.  Along the way, we received a text from dh's friend at the Library of Congress.  Apparently ds has turned up that afternoon along with three cute freshman girls for informal, behind the scene tour and to get their reader cards.  Ds texted us a photo of his reader card (high on his DC to-do list), but didn't mention the girls.  While I am excited for him, I believe he was supposed to be in orientation for which we paid no small amount.  Hmmm.

For those of you that live in Virginia, the drive along I-81 was just beautiful.

• Like 9

My daughter is officially moved in!

Cross country plane ride went off perfectly (arrived 30 minutes early)

Car service picked her up at airport and drove 2 hours to school (very little traffic, hooray!)

Big strong boy (a friend) met her and helped wheel her overweight suitcase to residential life and her dorm

Friend with car took her to Wal Mart to buy supplies like laundry detergent, etc

Today all the stuff we stored over summer was delivered at 9:30 am. After two days of sleeping with blanket, no sheets and stuffed animal as pillow I am very relieved.

First Amazon box of the year due to arrive shortly.

Can I just say my house is sooo quiet!!! I describe her as this little person (in reality tall and skinny) with a very large personality :)

When she's not around you notice :)

• Like 6

Relaxing move in for us. Beautiful day, very crowded on interstate but not off. Met up with some of the parents we had met during previous visits and chatted with some of ds' s friends. Very social bunch, some are loking forward to next semester abroad and shared their enthusiasm. Should have shopped for myself at the walmart....incredibly well stocked, but we werent staying over so it was a quick trip..we stayed maybe 2 hrs total. Missed the amish roadside stand due to move in traffic too, tis a pity as I got a late start on my tomatoes. Next time.

Other kid drove with friends and almost left without the snake. We have enjoyed its company over the summer, but it will be happier in their warmer apt.

We were able to meet his roommate and his family and grab McDonalds before he had to report to cadre at 1pm for training.  I got a hug and that's the last I expect to see of him until Christmas.

LOL, when I read this, I had the same thought as the others--'You're in Blacksburg and ate at McDonald's?'

We moved my dd in last weekend for her senior year, on campus apartment (not VT), the first time she's done early move in. Earlier years have been very smooth and simple, but this one was chaotic. We waited in line for 1.5 hours just to check in, and there were no move in bins available because of the huge numbers of other early move ins. Just as we finished unloading everything, it began pouring rain, and many others were still moving in the rain.

She's in an on campus apt with three other girls, all single bedrooms, plus kitchen, living room, 2 baths. She pretty much moves in her own small apartment. We packed a small car and a big truck with sets of Fiestaware :laugh: , framed posters, tv, three lamps, two shelving units, and all of the usual move in stuff. Last year, I managed to dodge move out day, but dh informed me there was no way I was going to get out of it this year.  ;)

• Like 2

My son flew out on the 18th.  He had a 7am plane ride, so when we got to the airport at 5am,  I thought for sure we'd have time to all get breakfast together in the airport before he had to get in line.  Uh, no.  The line at security was ..................................................................long.  Cattle car rails miles deep.  At 5am.  Thank the LORD that he had checked in and printed his boarding pass before we left (thank you, Jet Blue for online check in 24 hours in advance).   So, I hugged him and said, "Bye", and that was it.  We did hang around the airport until his plane depart (we were able to watch from the observation deck), just in case there was a problem, but there wasn't.  We prepared him well for security and with airport maps (BWI to FLL to LAX).  He was able to meet up with his shuttle service to get his ride out to the school (3 more hours of riding).  Poor kid was pooped when it was over, I think.  Left 5am eastern at BWI arrived at school 4pm pacific.

Here's a weird thing: He had TSA precheck on his boarding pass and was able to go through the "shorter" security lines.  But he never got precheck.  We meant to do it over the summer, but never got around to it.

• Like 2

Moved the first college freshman in Friday.  Campus is only 15 min away from home, so it was pretty low-key.  Poured rain in buckets on the way there, but it was fortunately just a cloudburst, and had stopped by the time we had to wait in line with the bins.  Then we wished it would at least shower a bit again, because it was about 100 and humid as all heck.  The line with the big rolling bins was taking for.ever. because there was just one elevator, so we started taking things out of the bins and taking them up the stairs instead, while dh waited in the bin line with the heaviest stuff.  By the time he got up there, we'd made the bed and put most of her stuff away. We put down the rug, moved some furniture around, and dh fixed some loose screws.  Dd's roommate and her family seem really nice.  The roommate got an accommodation to get a 'comfort pet' for anxiety, so they're getting a pet bunny soon, which dd is really excited about.  A girl from her high school (who she knew, but hadn't been friends with) was right across the street.  They had two microwaves, and they offered us the extra as a freebie - which was great since dd and her roomie had been thinking they'd just use the micro in the kitchen, but I had been skeptical as the kitchen isn't even on the same floor...

Then we went home, and got a bunch of stuff she forgot, and headed over to drop that off later in the evening... but that was just a quick drop-off, because they had lots of stuff for them to be doing, so we had a small window where she wasn't busy. Her little sister got to come see the room then, as she'd missed move-in because she'd had driver's ed class all day.  After visiting the dorm, little sister (turning 16 in a few months) announced she was ready for college now. :lol:  She's resented for years being younger than her twin sisters and feeling like she has to wait for things they get to do now...  she's already going to the CC, but that's not the same...

Texted dd this morning - she says she's already got a group of friends she's going to things with.  It was such a good decision to have her live on campus even though we're so close - she's an introvert needs time and exposure to get to know people, so as much as she grumbled ahead of time about all the welcome activities, I think it's probably been really good for her.  She's going to a baseball game tonight apparently.

Her twin sister moves in this Saturday. We apparently start school way later than the rest of the country here in the northeast!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

My first baby was dropped off last Wednesday. We went down on Tuesday because it is 3+ hour drive and stayed overnight. His roommate plays a fall sport and was already moved in. He let us into the room Tuesday night so we could get a jump on the unpacking. Nice young man. Even helped carry a couple of things.

Move in day was smooth. Got his room set up. Went to lunch in the dining hall. Purchased the rest of his books while ds went to library open house. At 3pm they had the introduction convocation. A really nice ceremony. After that we said goodbye and left.

That night they had the bell ringing ceremony to conclude the days activities. Each student rings the bell in the square to signal the beginning of their college education. They ring it again when they graduate.

Classes start today.

• Like 4

He is moved in and apart from driving to five different stores for a three prong to two prong adapter that every other student was also in the hunt for, it went pretty smoothly and easily.

There were parents there with SUV's pulling U Haul trailers. I shudder. These rooms are double occupancy and while the beds can be lofted, the space is still very limited. Meamwhile, ds along with his younger brother and I, was able to make it up with a single trip using our hand cart! LOL quite thankful for a minimalist son.

• Like 3

There were parents there with SUV's pulling U Haul trailers. I shudder. 

In their defense, I know a few people who have two  students at the same university and they move them both with a U Haul so that they don't have to make multiple trips. But, I, too, saw more than a few U Hauls at freshman move in last year! 

• Like 1

Youngest is in the air as I type.  He was able to switch (no charge) to an earlier flight and said there's only 60 people on it.  I suspect some of the others might have been scared off by the storm.  Who knows?

I know I'll be glad when I get the text that he's in his dorm.  Move in of his stuff won't be until Saturday due to the storm.  Unfortunately, we will be too far away to assist with that.  ;)  He'll be living from his suitcases until then - totally do-able for a college junior.

Meanwhile we're sitting at Chick Fil A waiting out rush hour before proceeding south to spend the weekend with my in-laws.  I've no desire to start a holiday weekend in DC rush hour...

• Like 4

My college two have left. Ds1 drove out with his friend yesterday. They are living in a college-owned apartment this year. They have best friends across their back door, so like a "Friends" set up. He is excited not to be on the meal plan. He can actually cook, so I am not too worried. He has great classes lined up for this semester, so I hope things go well.

Dd1 was at the summer session. After finals, she moved to her new hall (with the help of teammates' father, thanks!), bought herself a bike and set up her room. Her new roommate (also teammate hadn't arrived yet). She came home for 3 short days and left again this morning for her mandatory athlete orientation (she did most of it this summer, so it is a repeat). Tons of team meetings on Sunday and classes (and practices) start Monday.

Move-in is pretty simple from afar.

My son just switched to no meal plan.  Can you give me a heads up about how much your son budgets for food each week?

Thanks,

Myra

In their defense, I know a few people who have two students at the same university and they move them both with a U Haul so that they don't have to make multiple trips. But, I, too, saw more than a few U Hauls at freshman move in last year!

This was was I was hoping for...one student moving into an apartment which means furniture, one into Garneau with its small rooms. I do know one instance wss not this. The poor dad looked so bewildered when.he saw the size of the dorm room, and then looked at his daughter and said, "SERIOISLy!!! I rented a u-haul when you should have just filled the trunk of a sedan???" Poor, poor man. LOL...might pay to attend parent orientation, take the tour, and see the rooms for yourself!

• Like 1

Another time when you visit you should check out Souvlaki's for authentic Greek or Mike's for the best burgers I've ever had (they have other things too like pizza if you don't care for burgers).  Both are very close to Upper Quad, so your guy should know where they are by the time you get back.  I'm sure Corps members will share the tidbits on good eating.  We saw Corps members at both when we visited back in Feb.

Mike's is now closed forever. My sister-in-law, whose Dad is a retired VT prof sent me the link to the Roanoke Times article. So I guess there's still Macado's, but it has moved across the street. 

• Like 1

Mike's is now closed forever. My sister-in-law, whose Dad is a retired VT prof sent me the link to the Roanoke Times article. So I guess there's still Macado's, but it has moved across the street. 

Ugh!  Hubby is going to be thoroughly disappointed when I share that news with him as it was one of his all time favorite places.  I wonder what happened?  They were pretty full when we were there in Feb.

At least he has some consolation that he can still get Carol Lee donuts - albeit - not while walking around campus as we used to do in "the old days."

• Like 1

DD1 moved in on Monday -- it was regular freshman orientation, so quite busy with various events. Because we were flying internationally DD1 didn't have a lot of stuff and didn't want to decorate much anyway. Quick trip to Walmart to get soap and other things she forgot, then all done. Met her the next day for breakfast, then drove down a couple of states to drop off DD2, who was doing international orientation. It wasn't as fun or exciting because there were not that many doing IO, so it felt like a bit of an anti-climax. Despite lots of shopping we still managed to forget quite a lot of silly stuff, so I imagine Amazon will be getting more of my business soon. Both are having a good time at orientation!

• Like 2

We moved in DS over the weekend. His suitemates all moved in on the same day so that was kind of fun. DS was the third to arrive. The mother of one of the young men had gone to Ikea and loaded their kitchen with dishes, cups, pots, pans, baking sheets, towels, wash cloths,..if it was for the kitchen, she purchased it. I verified with her that it was communal and offered to give her some money. She said she was happy to do it. After she left we found out that she purchased bath mats, cleaning supplies, etc for the bathroom.  These boys are set for the first semester.

DS is happy with his room. His window overlooks a little creek and a walking trail that runs through his campus. An exit door is just off his suite door and he can exist the building right onto the walking path. We took him shopping for a few items we didn't want to cart from home, helped him locate a pharmacy, and visited the campus bookstore. We were with him for about 4 hours. After that DH and I went and hiked the AT until dark.

• Like 5

We moved in our first and second sons, N and Y, for the first time this year. We live overseas so N, who is a junior, was moved in by his grandparents when he was a freshmen. I always felt bad about that and so for Y, I made sure we were around to move him in.

As a side story, I just found out that the mattress size in N's school depends on the dorm hall, which was news to me! Freshman year mattress was regular while sophmore year mattress was XL. LOL. N had been squeezing his twin size sheet onto a XL twin size mattress! I asked him how often he washed his sheets. Not often. It dawned on him that that might have to do with the STRUGGLE of putting it on. We found out what mattress he would have this year. I pronto got onto Amazon and ordered him an XL bed sheet set (Love Prime Shipping!) just days before he had to go. (I don't know WHY he didn't get XL sheets previously or ask me to get them! As a overseas mom, love Amazon, did I mention this?)

For Y's move in, because we were coming in from overseas, we didn't have much. We were minmalists. Five of us went to drop him off so all his stuff had to fit in the back of a minivan. The four of us were able to carry all his possessions in one trip, excluding the dad who left to park the car. As long as you don't take the big items which I consider unnecessary, there's not a whole lot to take. The whole process was made easy also by the fact that the school was super organized. We were told the day and time to come.

Y's roommate brought TV, refridge, and carpet. We didn't bring any of that and we were in-state while the roommate was not. I had figured the kids could talk about getting things like that AFTER they moved in...

Maybe it's the influence of his roommate whose mom commented, "He probably has enough clothes for both of you" but Y feels like he needs more shoes and clothes. Or it could be his major is a factor here. We had to buy him a suit, a casual suit jacket, and dress shoes for his business school. He does need a casual non-sneaker non-dress shoes that can work with jeans and dark pants. Anyway back to Amazon to browse!

Edited by kiso1
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I can finally post something, even though ds doesn't technically move in until next Friday with classes not starting until September 26th! Ds and dh left at 4:00 a.m. to start the 1,800+ mile drive to California. They are stopping at several parks in Utah as well as Las Vegas on their way out. Hopefully, good father/son bonding time. Ds wanted to have his car on campus for his junior year. We weren't super keen on this idea since he will be abroad winter quarter, but he talked us into it. He'll find a responsible, car-less friend to drive it periodically while he is in Berlin. Dh will fly back a week from Monday. I'm going to visit a childhood friend in Atlanta next weekend! :)

I have already gone into ds's room. MUCH less to go through than when he left his freshman year two years ago. Plus, he did some purging of his own (at my insistence) during his time at home this summer. He did forget the desk lamp (not sure why he hauled it home??), but that will be easy to replace at Walmart when they do the snack/laundry detergent run.

• Like 4

Mine moved in two weeks ago, though they had a super long orientation, so classes just started on Wednesday this week. We made a family vacation of it, as it was in an interesting part of the country; my rising college senior even joined us! She's in a triple room in the dorm. It's not pretty, and kind of awkwardly set up (I think this was formerly an office), but there's plenty of space. She had a lot of stuff (paraphernalia for her various interests), and I think it will take a while to figure out how she wants it organized. We paid for a bed loft kit, which provided extra storage space.

My senior's classes done start for another week or so, but she's going back to her apartment (she kept it all summer, but was mostly elsewhere) this weekend. We won't be involved at all; her friends will help her move stuff back.

• Like 5

I forgot about this thread. We may have been the family that some of you are talking about, because it took us three vehicles to make move-in work. I have two attending the same university.

My oldest was to fly back from an out-of-state internship the same Saturday as my freshman was scheduled to move in. The plan was for the rest of the family to pack her car with her stuff and drop it off at the airport when we took brother to school. Things changed a few weeks before that date when she scheduled an interview for a post-graduation job that Monday. The company flew her from her internship city to the interview location and then to the airport nearest to where we live. The interview process was going to last all day, so she had to fly back late at night. We decided it would be better for her to ride the shuttle that runs between the airport and her OOS school rather than drive there after no sleep. So, I drove her vehicle to school loaded with her stuff. She lives in an off-campus apartment, but had brought all her stuff home last December when she sublet her apartment before studying abroad. 

Our large vehicle was being worked on & was not ready as we had planned, so we could not bring it. We have a smaller vehicle that would fit the freshman and the rest of us. He is a minimalist, but he has a fridge and a rug that would not fit in the vehicle with the people (and the other stuff.). We do have a 3rd vehicle, but none of the other kids are old enough to drive it back to our house. Luckily, my parents agreed to drive there with us; they were due a visit to see a relative that lives about an hour away from campus anyway. They took the fridge and rug plus some other things we found at the last minute that didn't want to fit in the smaller car. 

My son was gone this summer and he never scheduled a move-in time. In reality, that turned out to be great, and we will go that way in the future. When he called about move-in after the deadline, he was simply told arrive after x time. That meant we did not have to leave as early as we have in the past for a scheduled time. We arrived at campus in time for a late lunch with college friends, who were moving their second son to campus for his freshman year. They had an early move-in time and had already finished the process.(They also live out of state, but a different one than us. They have relatives that live near campus that they stayed with before move-in.) They also have a senior who lives off campus, but he did not join us for lunch. We had a fun lunch, and it was good for the "college students" to reconnect; they have met a few times over the years. (I think the last time was when the now- college seniors were juniors or seniors in high school.)

After lunch,some us of drove and some walked over to his dorm. We met my parents there. The downtown area was busy, because of move-in day, so they had gone to a favorite restaurant that is farther away from campus. Since officical move-in time had ended, we were able to easily find parking spots right next to his dorm. We all took a load or two, and we were done.  He is on the 3rd floor, and there is an elevator. However, his room is closer to the parking lot, so mainly we took the steps. We had a hand-truck for the fridge, and used the elevator for that. (Much more relaxed than the year we moved my senior into the 4th floor of an all-female dorm. Luckily, that dorm was apartment style and had its own kitchen appliances.) We met the roommate and his father. He is also from out-of-state and has a sister who is a senior on campus. However, his parents did not go to school there, and they live about 12 hours away, with no stops. They had already set up the roommate's side of the room, and they excused themselves so we could do the same. (Or maybe they were feeling claustrophobic.)  We helped a bit, but son wanted to finish himself. Grandparents left to buy a few things they decided he needed. Son drove our car and I drove senior's car to her apartment. I left siblings there to unload her car and carry her stuff in, while I drove freshman back to his dorm. (They are on opposite sides of campus.) I then went back to the apartment where the siblings had about finished moving things in. After we finished, we went back to the dorm, where my parents were with the trashcan & other odds/ends. They said goodbye. Son called a childhood friend to see if he wanted to meet for dinner. He lives in yet another state about seven hours away, but he had been on campus for a week for a special program. We then went to eat at a place that I loved when I was a student there. 

After dinner, we dropped son back at campus and drove home, three hours. Luckily, next oldest child has a learner's permit, and drove all the way home. 

P.S. I remember a thread about if printers are needed. My son and his roommate both brought printers. My senior and her roommates all have printers.

• Like 4

My dd moved in two weeks ago, and it was easy-peasy!  Her sister + sister's friend helped her carry up all of her assorted bags (with bedding and such) and suitcases and rolling cart, helped her unpack and hang a few things on the wall, and by evening I was getting snapchat pics of her new room.  (I wasn't there.)  She's with her same 3 roommates in a dorm apartment.  The biggest move-in project was that she decided to take my parents up on an offer take an old rocking chair that they bought when they were first married.  Another dd re-upholstered it for her (a first-time project for her).  Was a very fun project, and it now sits in a college campus dorm.  :)

• Like 3

The printer turned out to be very wise. Ds is in "the valley", housing on the north side of campus in a heavily treed ares, very pretty, but a 15 minute walk to the main campus and no where near a print center. He has 400 pages of free printing each semester, but I have the feeling he won't use much of it. His roommate is grateful to have access and bought paper for the whole semester for both of them. It is a laser printer so they can print for a couple of years on it without buying ink.

Othrt ds is living in an apartment, has been since January. He comes home once in a while and really doesn't need anything so I send zucchini bread and chocolate chip coookies home with him after each visit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can finally post here!

We moved our ds into the UW dorms last Thursday. It was very orderly; we had a specific hour assigned to us that was early in the day and we we able to move him in quickly. He had less than 5 rubbermaid tubs and a backpack.  Contrast that to my dd: we moved her to SPU this past Saturday with the Tahoe filled, including a roof pod and items on our laps.  In her defense, she moved into a campus apartment and had a few of her roomate's items.  She also had groceries (a tad cheaper to get in our area). 

On the day we moved dd, dh and I took a bike ride from her campus to my son's, less than a 30 min ride on the Burke Gilman Trail.  It was very cool because hubbie and I used to ride that trail all the time when we lived in the area before kids.

Sunday we were back at the UW for the Convocation and President's (of UW) picnic. The Convocation was interesting and moving at times.  I did learn that ds is one of 4 homeschoolers from Washington in this year's class. That makes him about 1 in 1000 :laugh: .  Sunday was absolutely gorgeous in Seattle so the picnic was great (even if it was in tents).  We sat next to some very lovely parents and kids - neat people all around. 

My daughter started classes on Monday and my son, yesterday.  As is fairly typical of their personalities, my daughter has called to talk about her classes and the clubs she joined.  My son has texted/called only about SSN (nope, he has not memorized it) and insurance info :glare: . 

• Like 2