Menu

Question about Prima Latina

mamashark

My eldest daughter is entering 3rd grade this year and we are beginning Prima Latina together. We did lesson 1 last week and my attempt to pronounce lesson 2 has me feeling like ditching Latin altogether. I never took Latin and know next to nothing, and I only have the teacher and student manual (dumb, I know, but I got them used for a really good price). Is there a way to purchase the pronunciation CD to download? 

I am also teaching my 5 year-old to read... and she has language problems/dyslexia and I am concerned that her overhearing our lessons in Latin vowels will confuse her and cause more phonics problems. Is this a valid concern? 

I just want to encourage you; don't give up! Prima Latina helped my slightly dyslexic 2nd grader over the hump last year. It might end up being a good thing for your second child (though I understand your concern right now). We used the DVDs, but even if you just get the pronunciation cd, you will reap so many benefits.

• Like 1

Agree with everyone on the dvd. I did PL the first time on my own but got the dvd for ds8 after using the FFL dvd last year with the olders. Great for a new-to-Latin parent (or not-so-new anymore). I really wish I'd gotten it the first time around!!

There is no download for the cd...I looked today because I lost ANOTHER PL cd...ugh. I'm hoping it turns up soon.

I'll be the lone voice here saying we don't especially like the DVD's for PL or LC.  I do like them for FFL and SFL, but my kids really dislike watching them.  I think we are in the minority, but since they aren't particularly cheap I thought I'd chime in.

The cd is definitely worth it for PL and LC.  We stopped using it after that once we were comfortable with the pronunciation.  

I'll be the lone voice here saying we don't especially like the DVD's for PL or LC. I do like them for FFL and SFL, but my kids really dislike watching them. I think we are in the minority, but since they aren't particularly cheap I thought I'd chime in.

The cd is definitely worth it for PL and LC. We stopped using it after that once we were comfortable with the pronunciation.

The DVDs for LC have been totally redone this year for the 4th edition. The lessons are much shorter now than the ones done by Leigh Lowe.

• Like 1

I'll be the lone voice here saying we don't especially like the DVD's for PL or LC.  I do like them for FFL and SFL, but my kids really dislike watching them.  I think we are in the minority, but since they aren't particularly cheap I thought I'd chime in.

The cd is definitely worth it for PL and LC.  We stopped using it after that once we were comfortable with the pronunciation.

I never said my kids liked watching them. They were long and Leigh, as sweet as she is, is quite verbose. But they were very very helpful. We love the First and Second Form videos. Glen is a crack up!

The DVDs for LC have been totally redone this year for the 4th edition. The lessons are much shorter now than the ones done by Leigh Lowe.

Good! She's really sweet, but she did have a tendency to beat a dead horse during the derivatives!

My kids don't enjoy the videos, but I was VERY glad to have them the first time through. I haven't used Prima or LC videos since then, but I have loaned them out on occasion.
I don't know if I'll ever feel comfy enough about the Forms to do it without those videos...

Fun fact:  Leigh Lowe looks just like my sister. We brought the DVD to my sister's house & muted it so BIL could see his "wife" teaching Latin.  :lol:  They sound nothing alike, thank goodness!

I do the best I can with Latin pronunciation and don't stress about it past that point. If I happen to run into a native Latin speaker who takes me to task for my poor accent, well, I'll take him to task for his rude manners. ;)

I have heard the woman on the PL dvds. She has a heavy Southern accent and, personally, I found her difficult to emulate. (Nothing against a Southern accent, but I found it difficult to try to emulate Latin pronunciation from someone who speaks English with what I consider an accent; I had the same problem trying to learn a European language from a South African.)

My dd and I use Latin Tutorial on YouTube to work on our pronunciation. The guy is a high school Latin teacher, and he covers a lot of grammar and vocabulary. If we can't find the word in question in his videos, we wing it!

I have heard the woman on the PL dvds. She has a heavy Southern accent and, personally, I found her difficult to emulate. (Nothing against a Southern accent, but I found it difficult to try to emulate Latin pronunciation from someone who speaks English with what I consider an accent; I had the same problem trying to learn a European language from a South African.)

That's funny! Some people it really does bother that she has a southern accent. It didn't bother us at all. I hardly noticed it!