Menu

Okay, it's all done.

Night Elf

We got dd18 moved into her dorm yesterday. It hasn't even been 24 hours since I've seen her and I've cried twice. I'm thinking of all the little things we do together that I'll have to do by myself. My ds is still at home but he doesn't like doing all the little things like running to the grocery store, going out to pick up dinner, or going to Starbucks.

In the car on the way to school, we were reminiscing about our past homeschooling and the different curriculum we used and places we used to go. She said she was happy for the years we homeschooled. They gave her a good foundation for higher level school. She attended a public high school so we stopped homeschooling her 4 years ago. There were many things about it she liked but part of her did miss homeschooling.

I have no idea how long it will be before she wants to come home. She's hoping to make friends and that they can hang out together on weekends. I know she's coming home at least once before Thanksgiving break because she needs to change out her summer clothes for fall/winter clothes. Or it may stay nice enough for tshirts until then. The weather stayed warm a long time last year before the cooler air hit.

Goodness, I'm going to miss her tremendously!

• Like 15

Oh honey I hear you!  (((HUG))).  You have my permission to cry all you want.  The kleenex truck has been parked in my driveway for the last couple of weeks.  I had one son move out last week (first time on his own) and another son moves 1500 miles away tomorrow (he graduated college in May so he's off to a new job and a new life).  Then of course, there's my two youngest daughters going off to brick and mortar school for the first time as well.  Lots of leaving and my heart is breaking. :-(

• Like 1

((hugs)) to you! I will be taking my dd18 off to college in a few weeks. It hurts my heart to think about it! But I know she is ready to go and soooo excited to be out on her own!

Prayers and good thoughts for you as well during the moving out process. It's so hard!
  • Like 1

Oh honey I hear you! (((HUG))). You have my permission to cry all you want. The kleenex truck has been parked in my driveway for the last couple of weeks. I had one son move out last week (first time on his own) and another son moves 1500 miles away tomorrow (he graduated college in May so he's off to a new job and a new life). Then of course, there's my two youngest daughters going off to brick and mortar school for the first time as well. Lots of leaving and my heart is breaking. :-(

Aaawwww!!! I'm sorry!! Many good thoughts and prayers your way. I know it's part of life, but it's not easy :(
  • Like 1

We are less than two weeks away from taking our second dd off to college. It was hard the first time but I'm anticipating the second time to be even harder. I will still have my two boys at home but it just won't be the same with my girls both gone.

(((Hugs))) to you. Nothing can prepare you for the bittersweet emotions of sending kids off to college. I promise it does get easier!

• Like 2

Aww... I am SO sorry.  Right there with you!  I actually have been talking to myself a lot, telling myself Scarlett O'Hara types of things like, "I'm sleeping now.  I will not think about that now.  I will think about that tomorrow."  And praying.  It helps.

It is SO WEIRD here with no one else around.  No closed doors on bedrooms at nights.  Ahhh. 

I'm really sorry and really sympathetic. 

Oh honey I hear you!  (((HUG))).  You have my permission to cry all you want.  The kleenex truck has been parked in my driveway for the last couple of weeks.  I had one son move out last week (first time on his own) and another son moves 1500 miles away tomorrow (he graduated college in May so he's off to a new job and a new life).  Then of course, there's my two youngest daughters going off to brick and mortar school for the first time as well.  Lots of leaving and my heart is breaking. :-(

Awww.  I'm sorry.  It's hard.  I hate when they leave. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the hugs and well wishes and prayers! DH keeps telling me I'll get used to it and I know he's right but that doesn't help my immediate feelings.

More hugs back to the rest of you who are dealing with this well. I love to think my kids will all live within a few miles of me so I can be with them forever and ever. I try not to think about them moving away for real. Goodness!

• Like 1

Hugs to each of you that have shared.  it is SO, so hard to have them walk away--such mixed emotions!

If there's a bit of joy to share, it's that--all things being equal- when they are gone, they not only have adventures, but they also genuinely miss home and family.  Prepare yourselves for the bear hugs!  :-)  I have one who calls just to hear my voice, who comes home and stands in the kitchen holding me in a bear hug for several minutes before he'll let go.  And then he goes back to college, and I don't hear from him for two or three weeks.  (It's feast or famine, I tell ya!)  

Another good thing to look forward to:  having them bring home someone they've fallen in love with.  I'm still utterly amazed that ds' girlfriend thinks I hung the moon.  (Whaat?) I think she's pretty special, too, and we REALLY like teasing ds together. Ha! 

Dd's new beaux is going to be a bit harder, cuz he's so quiet, but it's awfully fun to have the extra new sparks joining in on our family stuff. 

Hang in there, mamas! You'll find your way. 

How far away is she? Can you drive over and spend a couple of hours with her? It is so painful.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: Besides our sadness my biggest memory was on a local campus, a dad hugging his boy goodbye and sobbing his heart out.