Menu

Lipscomb University?

brendafromtenn

• 3 years later...

I have (almost) nothing, but I am surprised no one else does, either.  Lipscomb has been on my radar forever.  I went to grad school in Nashville, so maybe that is why?  I'd always heard they were well known, at least early on, for their accounting program.  I've driven through the campus, my son and husband have attended a baseball game there (nice stadium, by the way) and I've watched them play baseball at several away games.  (They play baseball in the Sun Belt conference, which includes a college up the road from us, for whom we hold season baseball tickets.)  So that is practically nothing, except that I definitely wouldn't consider them as obscure as they might seem from the lack of response.  One thing I would be concerned about is that Nashville is so expensive now that it might limit their ability to increase their campus size or consign one to living on campus all four years (which they may require anyway).  Back in the day, i.e., when i was there, the area around their campus was cheap.  I hope the DL trustees bought all of the land they needed before the boom!

• Like 1

I don’t know much except that my boys played sports at a Church of Christ private school that allowed homeschoolers and that was the dream school for all those kids. They definitely thought it was the ultimate goal. Not many actually got to go. I assume because of finances but it definitely was the dream school there. 

• Like 1

All I know is that my cousin attended there many years ago and he loved it.  He went to medical school at Vanderbilt and still works there.  I know a homeschool mom who went there more recently.  If the two graduates that I know are any indication, they must be turning out a good product 😀.

• Like 1

I live in Nashville -- Lipscomb is a very pretty campus in a good location, and  Nashville is a super popular destination for young people these days.

I've heard from a number of students/graduates that good merit aid is available, but a few years ago I had a babysitter who was a (formerly homeschooled) student there and she felt that her classes were just not all that challenging.  I was also struck by how textbook-oriented some of her non-science classes were.  If I were looking at the school, I would make sure to visit, sit in some classes, and ask some direct questions of current students about their academic experience.  I believe that there is also an Honors College, which might be worth investigating.

IIRC, the school admits students of different religions but chapel attendance is mandatory, and there is some sort of specific Christian (maybe denominational?) religious requirement for undergraduate faculty.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JennyD said:

I live in Nashville -- Lipscomb is a very pretty campus in a good location, and  Nashville is a super popular destination for young people these days.

I've heard from a number of students/graduates that good merit aid is available, but a few years ago I had a babysitter who was a (formerly homeschooled) student there and she felt that her classes were just not all that challenging.  I was also struck by how textbook-oriented some of her non-science classes were.  If I were looking at the school, I would make sure to visit, sit in some classes, and ask some direct questions of current students about their academic experience.  I believe that there is also an Honors College, which might be worth investigating.

IIRC, the school admits students of different religions but chapel attendance is mandatory, and there is some sort of specific Christian (maybe denominational?) religious requirement for undergraduate faculty.  

Thanks.  The problem is, he is currently in college and has no time to go during the school year, on school days.  It is 6.5 hours from us, so not a "pop over for a day" thing.  

Chapel attendance is fine, he wants a Christian school.

I am not sure what you mean by the textbook comment.   My son is currently in a state college and they rely heavily on textbooks as well.  My older son is in a private college and his classes in fields like History and Math, also rely on textbooks.