Menu

I'm sorry if I've missed multiple threads about this. I have some fuzzy ideas about the following, but would like some clarification.

Thanks.

Is it too late to register for this October's test? (I've read varying answers. I plan to contact the school tomorrow, but would like to know if it's even worth trying at this point.)

Do 10th graders need a practice run at the test before it counts in 11th?

If they have already taken the ACT,  AP exams, etc., is a practice formal sitting of the PSAT in 10th still necessary or are practice tests at home before the 11th grade test sufficient?

Also, am I understanding correctly that for NMS the student must later take the SAT as well? (We were considering just sticking with the ACT, but it appears NMS would make the SAT necessary.)

I'm feeling a bit of testing burnout at the moment. (And I'm not even the one taking the tests!) ACT, SAT, PSAT, AP, SAT Subject.....   It feels like there is always a big test around the corner on top of all the normal school work. Plus, it gets frustrating when opportunities need to be missed to accommodate all these tests - some of which are only offered once a year.

I understand the testing for college admissions. Are the PSAT and SAT for NMS always a financial boon if the student tests well? Or is a roll of the dice? 

I think part of my frustration is that it's so difficult to register for some of the tests. The ACT is so very easy. I wish registering were always so simple!

Contact a local school - it is still early.

I certainly recommend taking it for practice in 10th grade since it has a new format and it is pretty inexpensive.

No burnout, for 10th just have them review the practice test just before the real one.

• Like 1

It is not too late to register for the PSAT. I'm going to add at most schools, because, well, you never know.

I would guess you could do practice PSAT at home instead of taking it in the 10th grade, especially if you have other testing experience.

NMS is not worth money everywhere.

• Like 1

Contact a local school - it is still early.

I certainly recommend taking it for practice in 10th grade since it has a new format and it is pretty inexpensive.

No burnout, for 10th just have them review the practice test just before the real one.

To clarify...The burnout is not review. *I* am the one feeling burnout. It seems there is always another test around the corner on top of everything else going on. I honestly think registering is what I dread the most. Not all schools are ultra cooperative.  

• Like 2

How does doing a formal sitting with the new format differ from taking practice exams with the new format at home? Is there something remarkable about the environment of the PSAT that differs from the ACT and AP testing environments?

DD#1 is doing the PSAT this fall as a 10th grader to see if it is worth pursuing officially in 11th. The local school won't let anyone in, but I've been lucky (hopefully!) finding the next district over who will let mine test with their handful.

It is my understanding that they want the SAT to confirm the PSAT if you are a semi-finalist, but I think there are exceptions for extreme cases. The SAT is easy to register for - like the ACT. For us, we'd have to drive 1 1/2 hours to find a school that actually gives the SAT since everyone around us only does the ACT.

• Like 2

My sons took the regular PSAT last October in 10th grade. Originally, I just had them do it for practice and to see what testing would be like at the huge local public school.

As it turned out, though, it was very helpful in deciding whether & how much to prep for the 11th grade PSAT this Oct. It was clear that they did not need to study at all for the English part, but, with a little math prep, they might be able to bump their score over NMSQT semi-finalist threshold. So, they've been using an SAT prep book over the summer to do some math prep.

• Like 2

What level of math is included in the regular PSAT? Is the math different than the ACT math? 

In other words, is the same type of prep useful for both?

Answering my own question via Google...  ;)

It's through Geometry, correct? (Asking just in case Google has led me astray...)

Edited to add: I just found something that says math beyond geometry is included. Guess I need to try to find the info on the actual PSAT site...

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy

Is it expected that everyone will try for NMS? Will schools just presume she didn't make the cut-off if nothing is listed about it? (As opposed to wondering if she just didn't take the PSAT for some reason?) There are so very many things that would be nice to add to the college application...what if this just isn't something she decides to pursue for whatever reason and pursues other things instead?

Is some sort of NMS status expected on strong applications? 

Did anyone's student get accepted into a selective school without PSAT/SAT/NMS? 

I thought the PSAT covered Alg 2? 

My boys had only just started Alg 2 when they took the PSAT in 10th grade, so I was hoping that with the year of Alg 2 + some (admittedly minimal) math test prep, they'd get that little bump in their score to push them over the NMSQT threshold.

• Like 1

How does doing a formal sitting with the new format differ from taking practice exams with the new format at home? Is there something remarkable about the environment of the PSAT that differs from the ACT and AP testing environments?

no - if you already did the ACT but most students have not by 10th

• Like 1

Is it expected that everyone will try for NMS? Will schools just presume she didn't make the cut-off if nothing is listed about it? (As opposed to wondering if she just didn't take the PSAT for some reason?) There are so very many things that would be nice to add to the college application...what if this just isn't something she decides to pursue for whatever reason and pursues other things instead?

The ACT is increasingly the test of choice vs. the SAT. I don't think any college will look down their nose at an applicant that didn't take (or perhaps *cough* I mean, didn't report) the PSAT/SAT. They only want high scores. Some colleges will take the ACT instead of the SAT + required # of SAT IIs. I can't speak to the other questions.

In our case, the PSAT will be in a completely different environment to the ACT since she took the ACT at the local school in a big classroom with 20 or so other kids. She'll take the PSAT in a guidance counselor's small office - on the floor - with 4-5 other kids.The SAT, if she took it, would be in a huge school cafeteria with 100+ kids.

• Like 2

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I wonder if it depends on the state you live in and whether or not you are looking at schools in your state or region. In some states I understand that most every student takes the PSAT or the ACT, as in the test is paid for and even in some cases required by the state.

Also I have read that for the old SAT, students who take the PSAT first did better on the SAT, so if she might take the SAT, that is something to look into.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Even if the student doesn't end up going to a school where NMF is worth money, being a finalist, semi-finalist, or even commended student is a very nice thing to add to the college application.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've been trying to understand the timing of the NMS program, and I can't see how it is possible to indicate "NMS finalist" on a college application when they don't announce the finalists until Feb. of the student's senior year - way past when college apps were done.  Am I missing something?  The NMS site says semi-finalists will be announced in early Sept. of the senior year (which is confusing- isn't it simply the results of a test, which they already have the results to at least 9 months prior?)  So, I can see listing semi-finalist, but not finalist.

I read in another thread that there is a May 1st deadline to indicate first choice school if you are hoping for one of the large merit award schools for NMS finalists.  How and where is that indicated?

my ds was a 2016 NMF. You at correct that on a college application you just list NM Semifinalist since Finalists are not announced until Feb/March. Colleges know that the majority of kids go on to become NMF.

As far as selecting a school, that choice is indicated on the NMF application. The student has until May 1st to indicate their top school choice (everything is done online and is pretty straight forward).

• Like 1

Like Michelle said, it is highly unlikely that a student will be able to indicate NMF on his or her college app---unless the student decides last-minute to apply to a school that still has applications open.

However, my son was able to add NMF to his scholarship application at a school where he was attending a scholarship invitational competition in late Feb. The school told him to send a copy of the NMF letter if it came in before the competition, and it did, so he did.

He also changed his "first choice school" in very late April after all the dust had settled from $ offers. It was easy to do---took 5 minutes on an online form. You will have access to all of that when the semi-finalist info comes in. 

• Like 1