Menu

Need input re. Exercise-at-Home DVD programs

Halftime Hope

Hi ladies!  I've been away for quite awhile, busy with life.  I'd appreciate any input/advice/BTDT regarding exercise programs.

My goals:

1) Stop being chilly all the time -- it has gotten ree-diculous!  I wear shrugs/sweaters, long pants, and closed shoes in the summer at work, and then I melt when I'm out in the TX summer heat on the way home.  (For comparison, last summer I wore sandals at work. It's out of the question now: I'm too chilly.)  Part of the "Big Freeze" may be that I'm one year further into taking tamoxifen, i.e. a kick in the rear toward menopause, but who knows.

2) Have more energy and motivation. 

3) Get fit.  Right now I do 20 minutes (2.5 miles) on the elliptical every morning--it's a good clip, but not intense at all, just enough to warm me up, but not to break out into a real sweat.  I'd like to both lose15 pounds and really strengthen my muscles and heart.  I'm very flexible (I'm lucky) but have very little core strength. 

4) Telling the truth:  there is beachwear in my future.  I think I could do a lot to improve my ability to be comfortable in beachwear if I'd could just get off the couch.

Random thoughts:

I think PiYo looks like fun.

Cize might as well, but I'm not a dancer at all. 

The T-Tapp lady's science sounds great, but I'm afraid her voice and commentary will drive me nuts.

My library doesn't have any of what I might want to try.  :- (

Help?  I need to order whatever I settle on this weekend.

Edited by Halftime Hope

Teresa Tapp isn't bad in terms of voice. For the best results without a huge time sink and boot camp style programs she is who I recommend. In terms of inches lost I've never found anything better than ttap, and I can do it to the end of pregnancy and fairly quickly postpartum, too. I love the variety she offers as well.

Hi ladies!  I've been away for quite awhile, busy with life.  I'd appreciate any input/advice/BTDT regarding exercise programs.

My goals:

1) Stop being chilly all the time -- it has gotten ree-diculous!  I wear shrugs/sweaters, long pants, and closed shoes in the summer at work, and then I melt when I'm out in the TX summer heat on the way home.  (For comparison, last summer I wore sandals at work. It's out of the question now: I'm too chilly.)  Part of the "Big Freeze" may be that I'm one year further into taking tamoxifen, i.e. a kick in the rear toward menopause, but who knows.

2) Have more energy and motivation. 

3) Get fit.  Right now I do 20 minutes (2.5 miles) on the elliptical every morning--it's a good clip, but not intense at all, just enough to warm me up, but not to break out into a real sweat.  I'd like to both lose15 pounds and really strengthen my muscles and heart.  I'm very flexible (I'm lucky) but have very little core strength. 

4) Telling the truth:  there is beachwear in my future, beginning in about 4 months.  I think I could do a lot to improve my ability to be comfortable in beachwear if I'd could just get off the couch.

Random thoughts:

I think PiYo looks like fun.

Cize might as well, but I'm not a dancer at all. 

The T-Tapp lady's science sounds great, but I'm afraid her voice and commentary will drive me nuts.

My library doesn't have any of what I might want to try.  :- (

Help?  I need to order whatever I settle on this weekend.

re: cold all the time

-have you ever had your thyroid checked?  incl. free t3 and free t4?

http://www.wellbeyond55.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/thyroidLevels_chart.jpg  shows you what optimum labs are.  do not go by "normal".  most drs will only run tsh - which is a worthless test. it  only measures a pituitary hormone that tells your thyroid to make thyroid hormones.   how's your iron?  d3?

I do yoga dvds (I know exactly what I'm getting for a practice and I control the time), I like suzanne deason and barbara benagh.   and walk.

• Like 2

Have you tried any of the workouts yet? I tried Cize and it was fun but I felt awkward. Have you looked at Country Heat. It just came out. It was easier for me to do. I don't like country music but it's fine for working out. I also tried Piyo but went with 21 Day Fix instead. Too much stretching with Piyo.

• Like 1

Forget DVDs.Youtube is where it's at. So many videos for free. 

By far my hands down favorite is FitnessBlender. They have a site or you can watch on youtube. You can put together your own schedule/videos or purchase (very affordable) schedules. They have a beginner workout plan that I highly recommend. Otherwise go through and pick their videos up to a level 3 until you are ready for more. 

Blogilates is fun, but advanced. She does give some modifications. She has some yummy looking food recipes I want to try. If you sign up (free) then you can print out a workout calendar for the month. 

Between those two choices FitnessBlender is my top pick. 

• Like 6

Ditto testing your thyroid, being cold is a thyroid symptom. Of course the downside of increased body temperature is that I sweat so much more since treating my thyroid!!!

I'd ditto the rec. for fitness blender and youtube- if nothing else see what you can try before you buy it. 

• Like 2

re: cold all the time

-have you ever had your thyroid checked? 

Thanks for picking up on that hint.

Yep, thyroid is fine (I had a *complete* battery of all the tests -- I'm fortunate enough to have a great functional medicine doc) and I don't have any of the other classic thyroid dysfunction symptoms, just being chilly. My adrenals are not at optimal level, but they are getting better.  Iron and D are both at good levels. 

I've been at a desk job now for a couple of years, whereas before I had been much more active. (I still get up and walk the campus whenever I can find the excuse, or just on breaks.)

So before we go looking into more obscure things, I really need to work on fitness.