Menu

Very Bad Sequels

Seasider

So yeah, I am late night channel surfing and just watched a shark leap from the water and take down a helicopter.

I love the original Jaws film. But I watched the end of Jaws 2 and as I am web surfing, Jaws 3 followed (some kind of movie marathon). It's like a version of Sharknado that takes itself seriously.

Edited by Seasider

Grease 2

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (I'm not even sure why we watched this as the first one was bad)

most of the Superman and Batman movies

most of the Rocky movies

Charlie's Angels 2 (the first one was a "so bad it's good" flick but the 2nd was just plain bad)

• Like 1

James Bonds who are not Sean Connery. Not always bad, but still no comparison. The original Q is still the best too.

Don't have time to look up the name of the original Miss Marple, but there are some Miss Marples out there who are simply wrong.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

James Bonds who are not Sean Connery.

No, James Bonds that are not Roger Moore. ;)

I don't really consider most Bond movies to be sequels though, since they're based on the books. So, it's not like the first Bond on TV is 'the' Bond - it's just one interpretation of the Bond in the books.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

James Bonds who are not Sean Connery. Not always bad, but still no comparison. The original Q is still the best too.

Don't have time to look up the name of the original Miss Marple, but there are some Miss Marples out there who are simply wrong.

I like Sean Connery but have grown to love Daniel Craig. in regards to Miss Marple the only "true" miss Marple is Joan Hickson. Edited by Diane in CO
  • Like 5

The funny thing is that The Never Ending Story Part 2 is the second half of the book "The Never Ending Story". When we listened to the audio I didn't make it far past where the part 1 movie ends.

I didn't know that! We have the book but I haven't read it through yet.

No, James Bonds that are not Roger Moore. ;)

I don't really consider most Bond movies to be sequels though, since they're based on the books. So, it's not like the first Bond on TV is 'the' Bond - it's just one interpretation of the Bond in the books.

It may depend on one's age. For me, Roger Moore is marginal.

It may depend on one's age. For me, Roger Moore is marginal.

Or maybe to the first Bond they're exposed to (though I'm not sure RM was my first Bond). I do know that I read almost all the books before I ever saw a Bond movie. I just turned 32 last week. Afaik, most people my age prefer one of the more recent Bonds, I think Brosnan.

I like Sean Connery but have grown to love Daniel Craig. in regards to Miss Marple the only "true" miss Marple is Joan Hickson.

Connery was my favorite Bond until Craig.  I think they brought similar things to the role which is what made them work - a kind of rough masculinity that underpinned the suave exterior. 

• Like 5

I thought the most recent Mad Max film - Fury Rd I think - was really horrible. There were several parts that made me laugh out loud, and they were not meant to be funny.

Oh that's the worst isn't it? When you find yourself laughing in what is supposed to be a serious or gravitas moment but it's because the delivery or scenario is just too laughable to be seriously endured. Edited by Arctic Mama

I thought the most recent Mad Max film - Fury Rd I think - was really horrible.  There were several parts that made me laugh out loud, and they were not meant to be funny.

Did you see it in the theater or home? I saw it in the theater and thought it was absolutely incredible, and thought it had a genuine shot at Best Picture.  Saw it with a friend who agreed. Everyone I know who has seen it at home (including my husband) thought it was just ok, weird, or bad.

The funny thing is that The Never Ending Story Part 2 is the second half of the book "The Never Ending Story". When we listened to the audio I didn't make it far past where the part 1 movie ends.

No, it isn't. The first movie is pretty much the first half of the book - I was surprised how much they stuck to the story. It's been years since I saw the sequel, but as I recall it was very different from the second half of the book.

Really the rare and surprising thing is when a sequel is better than, or even just as good as, the original. The second book, movie, or drama has the classic Sequel Problem: the audience wants a sequel because they want to recapitulate the experience of having read or watched the original--but part of that experience was the freshness and novelty. So the sequel faces the nearly insuperable dilemma of needing to be simultaneously like the first but not previously experienced.

The list of successful sequels (as good as, or better than, the original) is therefore necessarily short. Godfather II comes to mind, probably because it was the second part of the original book. Aliens, which was made with the genius idea of changing genres from horror (in space) to action thriller (in space). Star Trek II, because it didn't face the Sequel Problem as nobody on the planet wanted to experience the first movie again; and also Ricardo Montalban.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 2

Really the rare and surprising thing is when a sequel is better than, or even just as good as, the original. The second book, movie, or drama has the classic Sequel Problem: the audience wants a sequel because they want to recapitulate the experience of having read or watched the original--but part of that experience was the freshness and novelty. So the sequel faces the nearly insuperable dilemma of needing to be simultaneously like the first but not previously experienced.

The list of successful sequels (as good as, or better than, the original) is therefore necessarily short. Godfather II comes to mind, probably because it was the second part of the original book. Aliens, which was made with the genius idea of changing genres from horror (in space) to action thriller (in space). Star Trek II, because it didn't face the Sequel Problem as nobody on the planet wanted to experience the first movie again; and also Ricardo Montalban.

I get where you're coming from - that sequels are expected to deliver well - but in my post I was ranting about Really Awful Horrible Sequels.

Sorry; didn't mean to derail.

Oh you didn't! I didn't mean for my reply to imply that. Your point is well taken. When i hear a favorite movie is getting a sequel, I'm both excited and apprehensive.

But late last night all I could do was shake my head at toothy melodrama. (A giant shark can grab a helicopter out of the air, and Captain Brody can feed him a high voltage electric cable without being dismembered or fried himself? Cuh-razy!)

• Like 1

So yeah, I am late night channel surfing and just watched a shark leap from the water and take down a helicopter.

I love the original Jaws film. But I watched the end of Jaws 2 and as I am web surfing, Jaws 3 followed (some kind of movie marathon). It's like a version of Sharknado that takes itself seriously.

Jaws 3 was bad...Jaws IV: The Revenge was just awful.

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix

The three Star Wars prequels, especially the first one. Three words: Jar Jar Binks

My respect for George Lucas tanked after seeing the first one. I barely paid attention to the other two. 

Because of those awful movies, dh had to drag me to the recent Star Wars movie. I ended up liking it, but was so afraid I'd be sitting through something like those terrible prequels. 

Some years ago dh and I were trying to improve ds' cultural education and we decided he needed to see Jaws. We saw that it was on Netflix and made it a family movie night and watched it together. He loved it, and when he saw there were more he wanted to watch them.

Nooooo! we said. Don't do it! But he insisted, so we told him he could watch them on his own. We wouldn't be involved in the horror of those sequels. After he watched all the rest he came to us and said we were right. He should have stopped after the first one. :D

• Like 1

Did you see it in the theater or home? I saw it in the theater and thought it was absolutely incredible, and thought it had a genuine shot at Best Picture.  Saw it with a friend who agreed. Everyone I know who has seen it at home (including my husband) thought it was just ok, weird, or bad.

I aw it at home.  I could see that some of the costume and design stuff was really well done.  But the script and acting were just blah, and then there were all these moments that were just totally silly and were a kind of 13 year old boys fantasy of being cool.

The three Star Wars prequels, especially the first one. Three words: Jar Jar Binks

My respect for George Lucas tanked after seeing the first one. I barely paid attention to the other two. 

Because of those awful movies, dh had to drag me to the recent Star Wars movie. I ended up liking it, but was so afraid I'd be sitting through something like those terrible prequels. 

Yes, they prequels really failed in so many ways.  I enjoyed watching the new one, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure I think it was actually that good.

• Like 2

So yeah, I am trying to read my computer screen without glasses while watching the Olympics and I thought this thread was about Very Bad Squirrels. Wondering what the squirrels did.

The very bad squirrels keep eating my ripe tomatoes.  They eat a few bites to 1/2 the tomato and move on to the next one.  I have gotten 1 tomato from our garden this year.  Squirrels got the rest.

• Like 1

You know the even/odd rule for Star Trek movies? Evens are all good; odds are all bad. :hat:

On a slight and unimportant bunny trail, I was on the set briefly with Stephen Collins when I was an extra on "Revolution." It was quite exciting to know that I was breathing the same air as someone who had breathed the same air as the crew of the Enterprise, lol.

Yes, they prequels really failed in so many ways.  I enjoyed watching the new one, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure I think it was actually that good.

No it wasn't, but it wasn't terrible. And it helped get rid of the bad taste of the sequels. If they never make another one after this newest one, at least they didn't end it all too badly.