Menu

teaching typing on a laptop?

TMarie

That is all we own, so my children learn to type on the laptop. They are all doing marvelous. My dd (11 and 13yo) type between 40 & 60 WPM. They have been typing for 2 and 4 years. My ds who just started last fall, is typing 15 WPM. He is just learning the numbers and has been using Typing Instructor. The laptop is working fine for us.

I once heard that children need a larger keypad for typing. Then again, aren't their hands and fingers smaller?

Has anyone taught their children to type using a laptop keyboard?

There is more consistancy in body and hand position, making it easier to learn the reaches for the various keys. The angle of the keyboard is also better positioned for teaching proper hand positioning.

Personally, I make far more typos on my laptop than the desktop because of the shifting position.

We've done both, and I frankly haven't noticed any difference.

I personally find using a laptop uncomfortable because of body positioning and too many years in front of a computer (I have some level of tendonitis because of that), but my children don't notice a difference.

I've had a laptop since July. I was working on our desktop this morning and noticed how different it felt now. It hurt my wrists and the keys seemed so far apart. I had a hard time typing a two page document. I was glad I didn't have to do more than that on the desktop.

We are using Mavis Beacon as well on the laptop. Since we plan on buying a laptop for ds, I'd prefer he learn to type on one.