Menu

Work out clothes for larger women

UCF612

We've joined the YMCA because my son is now swimming on their competitive team. So my husband and I are going to start working out there 5 days a week. I've usually been one to work out at home so I wear old race shirts. But now that I'll be in public regularly I NEED more decent clothing. I'm about a size 14 give or give, right now. I'm 5'3" and carry my weight in my midsection. So...what are some great places I should look for workout clothing? I prefer short sleeves, but sleeveless which is what I seem to find most often in regular store athletic sections.

I recently bought some at Luke's Locker.  Lucy is the brand I found I liked.  I had trouble finding shorts that were not "shortie shorts."  I found some shirts from Dicks I liked.  They were not at all inexpensive unfortunately.  I wear a size 12 usually.  Try things on.   I have workout clothes that range in sizes from Med to XLarge. 

I tend to workout in Danskin Now capris (Walmart) and a baggy t-shirt.  Or sometimes a fitted v-neck t-shirt if I'm feeling sassy. ;)

I wear a 16/18.

Target also has workout clothes that fit larger women, but I find I don't like their stuff as much (I don't like slinky feeling material, so I'm picky).

I am a size 14, 5'4, and hold my weight pretty much all over. For me, Old Navy yoga capris and shorts are the best. I like my bottoms to be tight so I don't have to pull them up when doing an intense workout. For shirts I just go for an XL T-shirt. I don't like things tight around my arm pits so it has to be a baggier shirt.

My workout clothes are from Gap, Nordstroms, Target, and other stores featuring brands like Nike, Reebok, Champion, and Under Armor; dd also has things from Old Navy.  We find nice things at Gap (on the clearance rack), TJ Maxx, Marshalls, eBay, and the Goodwill.  I have to say I like the pricier brands better, with Nike and Reebok my current favorites; some of the brands have lower-priced lines that aren't bad.  For tops, I waver between t's designed as workout wear and regular cotton-spandex t's that are long enough to cover my midsection when exercising.