Menu

WWYD - Remove or replace kitchen sink disposal

Pegasus

The grinder/disposal in my kitchen sink has rusted through.  It needs to go.  DH wants to know if I want it replaced or just removed.  We don't put significant food waste down the disposal - we use a combination of composting and regular trash.

However, dish rinsing puts some amount of food waste down the drain AND the dishwasher drains into the disposal.  Is it important to maintain a grinder/disposal for these reasons?  Would the small bits and drabs of food from dishes cause a problem without a disposal?

I would have it removed.

We had one at our previous house (on a sewer system) and used it regularly. This house has one but is on a septic system and I rarely use it. So it's wasted space under the cabinet.

A good mesh strainer will catch all  the little bits of sink debris and is easily dumped into the trash or compost bin. I've had a dishwasher before w/o a disposal (on a septic system) and it was never a problem.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I haven't had one in 18 years, but I'm on a septic system. At first I thought I'd miss it, but I don't. Less odor, and nothing to break down.

Get yourself mesh strainers. We dump the bits in the trash and then put them in the dishwasher every night. When I'm canning, I put a colander in the sink that gets all of the skins and pieces, and then dump that in the trash. If I were a composter, everything could go there.

Edited by G5052