Menu

Morphine pumps: anyone have had one?

Mosaicmind

My spine surgeon has called my pain doctor and wants me to be considered for a morphine pump. I'm taking Morphine ER 60mg 2 times a day and oxycodone 10mg 3 times a day. My surgeon wants me on a pump because I won't be taking as much narcotic pain meds per day since its going directly into the spinal canal. By doing this, once I get surgery (whenever that will be) then it won't be as difficult for me to come off the pain meds, because I've been on them fairly consistently since 2005.

I'm seeing my pain dr tomorrow for my every other month check up and to get my scripts plus now, to talk to him about getting a morphine pump. He gave me the info and a DVD to watch 2 months ago, at my last appt, when I had asked about this so I know a little about them. I know the first step is getting an evaluation done by a psychologist and then a trial is done before putting in the pump permanently. I'm just not sure what else to ask. Is there anything else I need to know? If you had one, what was your opinion of it? Did it give you much more pain relief? I'm hoping that my pain can got from a 7-8 daily to a 4-5.

I have never had one, but I briefly worked with patients who had them. I remember several people who complained about irritation if their implant ended up being placed at the level of their waistband. If you get one, you might want to discuss placement with your surgeon to avoid that.

• Like 1

Yes. My spinal surgeon will put it in and he already knows I can't have anything touching my lower back or around there. He's already discussed that he will place it on my left side up high above my waist. I have a hard time wearing underwear so he's pretty sensitive to where to place it. It will not be on my back like others are due to my diagnosis.

• Like 1

Gotcha. They are placed in different spots, sometimes the back, side, or closer to the front. Many are placed on the back right above the waist and about 2-3 inches from the spine. Because of how sensitive my lower back is my surgeon is going to place mine around on my side above my waist a couple of inches so my underwear doesn't rub on it.

I have an intrathecal Medtronic pump. It delivers a combo of muscle relaxant and narcotic. It has changed my life.

I have mine above my belt line on the right side. I am thin, so it stays fairly prominent. It actually allowed me to have my baby safely, so I am pretty biased, although when my pain Doctor joked about. Third breast I was a bit taken-aback:(

But, as chronic pain sufferer, a chemist/biologist with pharmacy tech certification as well, I am incredibly grAteful that I am receiving relief from meds reduced by orders of magnitude!

Please feel free to PM me for details.

• Like 3