Menu

Volunteer/Community Service Hours on Transcript

I am going to include one line on my daughters transcript, below test scores, that reads: Volunteer Service Hours: XXX

Through what date should I count those hours? Should I add what she has so far along with the hours projected for her senior year (all will stay the same rate),  should I cut it off at junior year, or should I cut it at a certain month of her senior year?

I didn't include them.

Colleges will ask on their applications.

That same info is requested on scholarship applications as well.

So if you put it on the transcript, you will have to repeat entering that same info - but it will be in a different form for each.

I also didn't have room for anything besides basic info, test results, and course name/credit/grade, and GPA results.

• Like 2

I was putting it on the very bottom of the transcript.  You know, I really didn't think it belonged there either, but I saw it on an example and thought I would fit it in because, like most homeschoolers, my daughter has a good amount of hours.  I'll leave it off unless someone else posts something convincing.

I don't want to hijack, but this brings up an issue for me.

Just to make sure I understand, most of you are saying hours needn't be on a transcript, but hours may be needed on other forms? Ugh.

I have no idea how to specify hours for dd.  She does a few things here and there that can be counted easily, just not all that impressively. The bulk of her free time is spent volunteering with the fire department.  She might stay there on call for 72 hours, spending a good chunk of that time just hanging out and sleeping.  Or go spend an hour in a meeting, then hang out for an hour.  Or go out on a call that gets canceled and stop for ice cream.

I've been trying to track hours this summer, but it's incredibly subjective, and would give an insane number of hours either way.  I was kind of hoping I could get away with jotting down "Volunteer Junior Firefighter" with years, the way my volunteer time was reduced to "Girl Scouts, 1st-11th grades, Girl Scout Leader, 12th grade".  Now I'm getting the impression that I'm just dreaming.

A certain number of community service hours are required for graduation in my state. A recent discussion with a public school mom regarding her son's "above and beyond" volunteer hours indicated that the principal will include those extra hours on his transcript as long as he has proper documentation. It is up to the student to ensure earned hours are recorded.

It was nice to know that the additional hours will indeed be included on official forms. I don't see what the big deal is to include them in two places if you are DIYing the transcript.

Eta: because they are required, any time a student holds a volunteer position it is simple to get those hours documented either with a certificate or official letter. I would think even without that requirement, a student would want that "proof" for their portfolios.

Edited by MEmama

In my state (FL), there is a widely-known scholarship program called Bright Futures that most high students apply for at some level (the scholarship has different academic/volunteer criteria for different levels of awards).

One of the criteria is community volunteer service hours, and these hours do appear near the top of my dd's transcript. Our private national umbrella school that produces her transcripts requires that the community service hours: are with a non-profit organization; are documented by the organization on the organization's letterhead; that a brief description of the volunteer work be included; that an authorized official from the organization print their name and sign the documentation; that the total number of hours actually served be also included in the documentation. These are dd's "official" volunteer hours that go towards the scholarship program criteria if she winds up instate. They have official documentation from the organizations to back them up.

DD also has "unofficial" volunteer hours, like tutoring in the math lab at the college where she takes DE classes. We place those types of undocumented volunteer hours as line items on a resume/application, and if significant time has been spent in those positions and it seems appropriate, we include the respective hours as well.

I would not put "anticipated" volunteer hours on a transcript or application, unless you specify "anticipated hours, 12th grade," and make that distinct from actual hours.

Hope that helps!

• 4 years later...
On 8/7/2016 at 10:06 PM, tampamommy said:

In my state (FL), there is a widely-known scholarship program called Bright Futures that most high students apply for at some level (the scholarship has different academic/volunteer criteria for different levels of awards).

One of the criteria is community volunteer service hours, and these hours do appear near the top of my dd's transcript. Our private national umbrella school that produces her transcripts requires that the community service hours: are with a non-profit organization; are documented by the organization on the organization's letterhead; that a brief description of the volunteer work be included; that an authorized official from the organization print their name and sign the documentation; that the total number of hours actually served be also included in the documentation. These are dd's "official" volunteer hours that go towards the scholarship program criteria if she winds up instate. They have official documentation from the organizations to back them up.

DD also has "unofficial" volunteer hours, like tutoring in the math lab at the college where she takes DE classes. We place those types of undocumented volunteer hours as line items on a resume/application, and if significant time has been spent in those positions and it seems appropriate, we include the respective hours as well.

I would not put "anticipated" volunteer hours on a transcript or application, unless you specify "anticipated hours, 12th grade," and make that distinct from actual hours.

Hope that helps!

Can you please tell me if the "Bright Futures" program still exists? Do you by any chance know?

write me please.

Responding, even though this is a resurrected 🧟‍♂️ ZOMBIE THREAD... 😉 

Volunteering hours tend to get buried/lost on a transcript.

The purpose of the transcript is to list:
- student information
- courses / credits / grades / GPA
- possible test scores (AP, SAT, ACT, CLEP)
- parent / administrator signature & possible statement of "homeschooling done in compliance with state statutes _________"

In contrast, if placed on a separate Extracurriculars and Awards document, you have the ability to spotlight and expand on the student's work as a volunteer. Not only can you list hours, but you can include a paragraph write up to showcase skills and leadership learned/demonstrated, and any awards or special aspects about the volunteering.

29 minutes ago, tanotshaun said:

Can you please tell me if the "Bright Futures" program still exists?

Here is the website for Florida scholarships. Here is the webpage about the Bright Futures program.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Responding, even though this is a resurrected 🧟‍♂️ ZOMBIE THREAD... 😉 

Volunteering hours tend to get buried/lost on a transcript.

The purpose of the transcript is to list:
- student information
- courses / credits / grades / GPA
- possible test scores (AP, SAT, ACT, CLEP)
- parent / administrator signature & possible statement of "homeschooling done in compliance with state statutes _________"

In contrast, if placed on a separate Extracurriculars and Awards document, you have the ability to spotlight and expand on the student's work as a volunteer. Not only can you list hours, but you can include a paragraph write up to showcase skills and leadership learned/demonstrated, and any awards or special aspects about the volunteering.

Here is the website for Florida scholarships. Here is the webpage about the Bright Futures program.

Thank you so much Lori D. This is what I need !!🙂