Menu

Places to stop along I-95 in NC, SC, or GA heading to Orlando

mlktwins

Does anyone have a specific place (town/hotel) they like to stop at while driving I-95 to Florida? We are planning a trip and may try driving this time (we have flown once and done the auto train once), but want to break the trip down into 2 days (at least on the way there). We would be coming from Northern VA.

Thanks much!

Why are you breaking the trip up into 2 days? I go to Tampa once a year from NJ (sometimes more but normally once a year) and I always drive straight through (exception is when we can't leave till noon, like last year and this year). The worst part is ALWAYS from here to DC. You are close to past that, so it should be an easy drive for you. I bet you could go straight through in 12 hours, based on how our timing normally works. 5 hours from here to DC. Tampa, at least where we go, is about 2 hours from Orlando. It takes us about 19 hours to get there but we take VERY few breaks... normally just gas and we do that fast and grab pre made food to eat on the road. We loose about 1-2 hours on the drive to "stops". 

However, you can try the South of the Border (never been there myself), Outlet mall in Smithfield, SC (liked this place, was able to find a few good deals), Savannah, GA (worth a trip on it's own). The welcome center in Florida normally has fresh OJ that they hand out. Bathrooms are normally good too. Depending on your kids you could also try some of the northern FL destinations like St. Augustine or Daytona. I have yet to go to either but they could be nice. 

Gas is normally cheaper in GA so if you are getting close to E and about out of GA (about 90 miles on I-95) then make sure you fill up. Family in Florida is always happy to say they "tax the tourists" and that includes gas. 

• Like 1

We could do it in a day, but I don't want to arrive exhausted before the trip begins. DH and I aren't that young anymore :-) and I would be doing most of the driving. We are thinking of taking 2 days on the way down (or the auto train one way) and driving back straight through. My boys would probably be fine with movies, good audiobooks and their iPads, but their longest car trip to date has been 6 hours. My longest driving trip everwas about 8 hours one way to Myrtle Beach. I've mostly flown to destinations.

If you end up in Florence around mealtime, the Thunderbird Inn has authentic, home cooked food. Breakfast was just like it was at a roadside diner or cafe when I was a kid. The Inn itself has seen better days.

We have found (we are 39 and 41) that we arrive exhausted, but it is 10 pm so we should be. The next day we wake up ready for our trip! We also have found that the baby (either one) can only throw one fit a day. If we break up the trip, then we hear 2 fits. If we do it all in one day, we hear only one fit. ;) If you have older children odds are they will just sleep. Give them a travel pillow each and some games. Provided they don't get car sick (that is a whole different animal!!) you should be fine. I personally don't like waking up knowing I have a 6+ hour drive ahead of me after driving for 6+ hours. However that is just me. When I do that by choice, as I will be doing in a few months, I give a day break between. 

I would make your DH take the Carolina's. That is what I make my DH do. BORING as can be! Nothing but cudzo as far as the eye can see! The rest of it is actually fun... at least for me. Then again, I don't really mind the NJ to DC bit provided we leave early enough. ;) I like seeing things on the roadside. NC and SC there is little to see on the roadside. 

• Like 1

There's nowhere interesting to stop. We find South of the Border to be 1950's level offensive so we won't do that. There are lots of lovely places in both NC and SC, but when they made the interstate system they seem to have tried to draw 95 through as much emptiness as possible.

But there are plenty of hotels. I agree that Florence is a fine place for a pit stop if you just can't stand to do it in a day. If you want to actually go somewhere that's a destination, Savannah is probably the only actually worthy stop that isn't a real detour.

• Like 1

We're doing a similar trip later this year. We have kids that would go nuts being a vehicle like that, so we're planning to stop at Great Wolf Lodge in Charlotte around dinner time. They'll get a couple hours in the waterpark, then head to the arcade and play some Magiquest, and be exhausted for the rest of the trip the next day.

• Like 1

My view may be tainted, because the only time I've ever been near South of the Border was near midnight 15 years ago (DH and I scrimped for two nights in Myrtle Beach to celebrate our first anniversary and couldn't leave until after work). But that place was BEYOND creepy. Completely deserted but every ride and flashing light going. It was like a scene from a horror film. Seriously, we couldn't get through there fast enough.

Agreeing that NC/SC along I-95 is about as boring as it gets. Hang on until Savannah.

• Like 3

South of the Border is good if you are in for super tackiness. If you just want a place to spend the night and be assured of a decent meal, I would choose Florence. Savannah is so gorgeous that you'd want to stay and visit. Florence can get you a safe, clean bed, and a decent meal, for a reasonable price. Savannah will probably be more expensive. FWIW, I've done 12-13 hour day trips with young kids (not babies). And I was pregnant one time. It was bad, but manageable. I would choose to do it again. My kids watched movies, read, played games, and whined some. The key to doing 700 miles in a day is to not stop for meals. Pack some sandwiches or go thru drive through and keep going. We stopped every couple of hours for potty and gas. Some other times we've deliberately taken it slow, and done a field trip of some sort at the mid point. For that, you might choose Savannah. Go to the river or take a tour, have some seafood lunch, and be on your way.

• Like 1

Thanks all!  I am 49 and DH is 54 -- LOL -- and my boys are 11.  I would love to see Savannah and wouldn't mind a long weekend there :-).  As for South of the Border, growing up we took our summer vacation in North Myrtle Beach every year.  We never stopped at that place because they would slap a big, ugly bumper sticker on your car without permission :-).  I definitely do not plan to stop there!!!

We can get a decent deal on one way auto train and then we would have our van packed with everything we need.  We can take our time coming home.

I wish flying were cheaper.  We could get our Disney tickets for the entire trip for the cost of flying + rental car, and we have to pay for parking at the airport.

I will check Florence and right around Hilton Head.   

We're doing a similar trip later this year. We have kids that would go nuts being a vehicle like that, so we're planning to stop at Great Wolf Lodge in Charlotte around dinner time. They'll get a couple hours in the waterpark, then head to the arcade and play some Magiquest, and be exhausted for the rest of the trip the next day.

Just want to make sure you know Charlotte is a long way from I-95--as in a good 2+ hours away (and if anyone is looking for that Great Wolf Lodge online, it's technically in Concord rather than Charlotte)

• Like 3

Just want to make sure you know Charlotte is a long way from I-95--as in a good 2+ hours away (and if anyone is looking for that Great Wolf Lodge online, it's technically in Concord rather than Charlotte)

Ah, thank you! I remembered our path took us quite close to GWL, but turns out our route goes down I-77 and doesn't hook up with I-95 until closer to Charleston. In other words, OP, please ignore anything I have to say, apparently I can't keep a map in my head. ;)

• Like 1

I broke that trip into 2 days sort of. We were staying at a Universal Resort when we arrived. I was the only driver. I wanted to have a day to enjoy the resort hotel and recover from driving before going full tilt in the parks.

I drove to just before the Florida line. We stopped in a dumpy Rodeway Inn for cheap (I know most people won't do this) because I wanted to spend little on the road. I think it was about 3 hours to Orlando from there. I actually picked that stopping point before I left the DC area. I picked it by deciding how much driving I wanted to do the second day, not based on anything on that particular highway exit.

Some of you may have more driving endurance, but think this is a hard drive when one is the only driver.

• Like 1

Thanks all! I am 49 and DH is 54 -- LOL -- and my boys are 11. I would love to see Savannah and wouldn't mind a long weekend there :-). As for South of the Border, growing up we took our summer vacation in North Myrtle Beach every year. We never stopped at that place because they would slap a big, ugly bumper sticker on your car without permission :-). I definitely do not plan to stop there!!!

We can get a decent deal on one way auto train and then we would have our van packed with everything we need. We can take our time coming home.

I wish flying were cheaper. We could get our Disney tickets for the entire trip for the cost of flying + rental car, and we have to pay for parking at the airport.

I will check Florence and right around Hilton Head.

I do think there are some hotels around HH that are decent, as well as some decent restaurants. Watch out for speeding around Ridgeland as I believe they stop speeders aggressively on I 95.

• Like 1

Charlotte isn't on or near the OP's route. GWL is great fun, though. I'm sure you will all have a blast! 

• Like 1

As a kid in NJ whose family came to Florida for vacation several times in the 1960s, we used to stop at South of the Border. I remembered it as being kitschy. A few years ago when traveling up that way we stopped there just to see it. I agree with both Farrar and Peachy Doodle. It's both creepy and offensive. I assume it was always that way but I didn't see it as a kid. Now I understand why the parents (our extended family used to take this vacation) always balked at stopping there, and we never stayed in any of the motels on site.

I agree with St. Augustine but you might want to stop a little further north.

I don't know how far off I-95 you have to go to get to historic Savannah, but that would definitely be a good place to stop. 

If you're looking for something small, there's a submarine museum and sugar plantation ruins in St. Mary's, GA - just a few exits north of the Florida-Georgia state line. 

Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island has a history museum and a fort to explore, but most of the area is more adult-friendly than kid-friendly. Still, it's beautiful.

• Like 2

OP here again!  Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice.  DH decided we would fly.  I have to say I am greatly relieved :-) !!!!

I do want to take a trip to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA at some point.  I want to spend a few days at each place though and take our time and take some pictures.  We will drive for that trip!