Menu

A small sigh of relief (biology related)

My son did bio this year for 9th grade, and he went to a two-week residential marine science camp this summer. He spent two weeks participating in research projects and using the fancy lab equipment at the university research center.

And the reason I am letting out my small sigh of relief? He felt like our 9th grade bio class prepared him well for the experience. :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 15

Now I want to know what you used for biology!

Nothing exotic! Miller Levine supplemented with case studies, a marine bio text (Castro), Bozeman Science videos and free HHMI materials.

We did solid lab/field work plus a research paper. We read E.O. Wilson and Rachel Carson. And we talked a lot :)

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 3

Nothing exotic! Miller Levine supplemented with case studies, a marine bio text (Castro), Bozeman Science videos and free HHMI materials.

We did solid lab/field work plus a research paper. We read E.O. Wilson and Rachel Carson. And we talked a lot :)

Congrats!

Can you give an example of the case studies?

And what is HHMI ?

• Like 1

We did the Hemophilia case study from the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, and the Allele and Phenotype Frequencies in Rock Pocket Mouse Populations from HHMI.

http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/collection/detail.asp?case_id=634&id=634

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/allele-and-phenotype-frequencies-rock-pocket-mouse-populations

ETA: We also did a unit on reading scientific journal papers.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2