Menu

High School Transcript for University of California schools

Anyone want to save my head of hair?  I'm about ready to pull it all out!

I just finished preparing a transcript that listed her courses by category, i.e. Science, Math, Language Arts, etc.  When I finished I was trying to decide whether to include weighted GPA as well, so went to look at the UC site and saw that they only count grades 10-12 for GPA!  I guess I now have to redo the transcript and list courses by grade?  Also saw this for calculating weighted GPA:

In addition, UC calculates a weighted GPA limited to 4 years of honors courses with no more than 2 years of 10th grade honors courses.

In other words, for a semester calendar, which many U.S. schools use, 8 semesters of honors points with no more than 4 semesters of honors points from courses completed in the 10th grade.

Whaaattttt?   :banghead: 

Edited by learners4life

It is an online application. Also the GPA is based on the summer before 10th until the summer after 11th.

" Important dates and deadlines

Aug. 1: Application opens for fall 2017 at www.universityofcalifornia.edu/apply

Oct. 1: Filing period opens for GPA Verification Form (required for Cal Grant consideration), Free Application for Federal Student Aid (www.fafsa.gov) and California Dream Act Application (www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp)

Nov. 1-30: Filing period for fall 2017

Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PST, Nov. 30

March 1-31: Notification of fall 2017 admission decisions

March 2: Deadline for applicants to submit FAFSA, California Dream Act Application and GPA Verification Form

May 1: Deadline for fall 2017 admitted freshmen to submit the Statement of Intent to Register to their chosen campus

July 1: Final official transcripts must be postmarked or electronically submitted to campus admissions o ices for students admitted for fall 2017

July 1-31: Filing period for winter quarter/spring semester 2018

See http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/check-majors for current openings"

For California residents http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/apply-online-freshman-cal.pdf

ETA:

For out of state applicants http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/apply-online-freshman-out-of-state.pdf

Edited by Arcadia

It is an online application, but I still have to send a transcript.  I wish I could somehow look at a transcript from a local high school!  I'm not concerned about the transcript when it comes to the private universities she will be applying to, but her number one choice is a UC school, so I want to give them exactly what they want, the way they want it.

Thanks for the recap of the important dates!  Good to have them all together!

You might want to private message 3XBlessed and Handmaiden.

Copied from http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/567461-list-view-of-2016-acceptances-copy-and-paste-and-add-your-student-here-so-we-can-celebrate/page-1

"University of California Berkley - ds of 3XBlessed - scholarship

University of California Irvine - ds of Handmaiden - scholarship, ds of 3XBlessed - honors program

University of California Los Angeles - ds of Handmaiden - Regents scholar, ds of 3xBlessed

University of California San Diego - ds of Handmaiden, ds of 3xBlessed"

• Like 1

My transcript has courses grouped by subject. Each entry also lists the year of completion and the grade when completed.

The subject groups shamed space and also emphasized achievement in topic areas. The grade and year column let the reader see a chronological progression too.

Another option would be a two page transcript that had the subject listing on one page and a grade by grade listing for the second page. If you include extra info like test scores or gpa tabulation I think you could have that just on one page.

• Like 1

It is an online application, but I still have to send a transcript.  I wish I could somehow look at a transcript from a local high school!  I'm not concerned about the transcript when it comes to the private universities she will be applying to, but her number one choice is a UC school, so I want to give them exactly what they want, the way they want it.

Thanks for the recap of the important dates!  Good to have them all together!

Is this for this year's application or for a student already accepted? If for this fall's application, you don't need to attach a transcript to the application. They will ask accepted students for the final official transcript in July. What I'm doing is to prepare a transcript for private schools and then have DS use that as a reference point for adding courses into the UC application. I've also prepared an additional reference list for those courses that are a-g compliant.

When preparing that final official transcript (for July), do clarify directly with UC. They will be able to tell you what they want to see and how to send in homeschool transcripts.

• Like 1

Is this for this year's application or for a student already accepted? If for this fall's application, you don't need to attach a transcript to the application. They will ask accepted students for the final official transcript in July. What I'm doing is to prepare a transcript for private schools and then have DS use that as a reference point for adding courses into the UC application. I've also prepared an additional reference list for those courses that are a-g compliant.

When preparing that final official transcript (for July), do clarify directly with UC. They will be able to tell you what they want to see and how to send in homeschool transcripts.

Hi, I think you are mistaken on this.  They do want a final transcript for July because that will contain senior year final grades.  However, I am sure they want a transcript with the initial application.  Can you imagine the mess they would have if they made admissions decisions for all applicant based upon student-reported grades and then got the transcripts and found many did not exactly match!  

Hi, I think you are mistaken on this. They do want a final transcript for July because that will contain senior year final grades. However, I am sure they want a transcript with the initial application. Can you imagine the mess they would have if they made admissions decisions for all applicant based upon student-reported grades and then got the transcripts and found many did not exactly match!

No, they really don't want a transcript with the initial application. They ask the applicant to have the transcript in front of them when filling the application so that there are no discrepancies.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/apply-online/

ETA The UC system is known for rescinding students every year for several reasons, including lying on your application and/or failing to maintain a minimum GPA, dropping academic courses without reporting it, etc.

Edited by Mabelen
  • Like 2

Hi, I think you are mistaken on this.  They do want a final transcript for July because that will contain senior year final grades.  However, I am sure they want a transcript with the initial application.  Can you imagine the mess they would have if they made admissions decisions for all applicant based upon student-reported grades and then got the transcripts and found many did not exactly match!  

I have attended two admissions talks at Cal. Both times they asked that grades and courses be self reported in the applications.

They are very friendly over the phone too. Might be helpful to call them with your questions. HTH!

• Like 1

No, they really don't want a transcript with the initial application. They ask the applicant to have the transcript in front of them when filling the application so that there are no discrepancies.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/apply-online/

ETA The UC system is known for rescinding students every year for several reasons, including lying on your application and/or failing to maintain a minimum GPA, dropping academic courses without reporting it, etc.

You are right!  I looked on the general UC website and that is what it said.  I called UC Davis to make sure, and they confirmed.  I can hardly believe it, but I suppose most students know they will get caught if they are not truthful, so the system works.  Thank you for the good information :)

I have attended two admissions talks at Cal. Both times they asked that grades and courses be self reported in the applications.

They are very friendly over the phone too. Might be helpful to call them with your questions. HTH!

How did you find out about the seminars?  Were they held at a local high school?

Thanks!

How did you find out about the seminars?  Were they held at a local high school?

Thanks!

I attended them on the Cal campus. They do these almost every weekday. Very painless process to register:

http://admissions.berkeley.edu/planyourvisit

I'm not sure how other UC campuses do it but I imagine it must be on their website somewhere.

Good luck!

• Like 1

UCLA has a cool "Lecture Experience" where you can sit in on certain classes.  I wonder if other colleges offer this?  

Thanks to a heads up from Arcadia, my son attended a shadow a math major day event at Cal. It was interesting for him to see the dorms (he thought they would be much worse while his friend expected them to be cleaner :lol:). He got to experience what a day in the life of an undergraduate is like (including walking all over the very hilly campus, simulating walking to lectures in different halls). The lecture he attended was taught by the very fun Denis Auroux!

It was organized by MUSA.

• Like 3