Menu

Boundaries by Townsend--is there a secular equivalent?

I just started a book I really like so far, Anne Katherine's Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day.  She gives lots of examples of conversations that cross boundaries, explains why, and suggests different kinds of things you can say to maintain your boundaries.

I haven't read her other book, Boundaries: Where You End and I Begin, which sounds like a more general treatment of the concept of boundaries, perhaps fewer example conversations. For me the examples in the first book are helpful because once you understand the concept, the rubber hits the road in actual conversation and interaction with other people.

Amy

• Like 1

I agree that Boundaries contains enough good non religious info that it's worth reading. I understand, though, that you're sensitive because it's something you want to pass along to a friend. It's especially good for its warnings on what to expect in terms of pushback when you do establish boundaries, and how to handle that.

• Like 1

I just started a book I really like so far, Anne Katherine's Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day. She gives lots of examples of conversations that cross boundaries, explains why, and suggests different kinds of things you can say to maintain your boundaries.

I haven't read her other book, Boundaries: Where You End and I Begin, which sounds like a more general treatment of the concept of boundaries, perhaps fewer example conversations. For me the examples in the first book are helpful because once you understand the concept, the rubber hits the road in actual conversation and interaction with other people.

Amy

Thanks for these recommendations, I've not heard these titles before.