Menu

LA questions regarding 4th grader

AFthfulJrney

My oldest daughter is 9 years old. We will be using ELTL for the first time this year. This past school year, we were using R&S for Grammar and Spelling. She loves to write stories and does pretty good forming sentences and paragraphs. However, her spelling needs a lot of work. So, my questions are, should I be using a writing program as well, or will ELTL be sufficient? And, should I give ELTL a chance before supplementing with a spelling program, or should I do a little extra in this area since I know it's already a problem that needs addressed?

Thanks in advance!

I'm using ELTL 3 with my 4th grader. I am not supplementing with a spelling program at this time. This child is not a natural speller in the least, but I do think the studied dictation method is working well for him so far. There is a spelling journal available for free on their website, and you can analyze unknown words and put them in your spelling journal (a la Spalding/SWR/etc.).