Menu

Help with textbook PreAlgebra choices

mrshomework

I am considering  purchasing McDougall-Littel Pre-Algebra 3rd Edition and  was wondering if it is necessary to purchase a Teachers Guide or Solutions Manual? I am looking for a textbook type pre-algebra that would be similar to Math Mammoth in explanations. I don't like Dolciani or AOP's they seem like they may cause frustration for my dd. I am also considering  Lial's Pre-Algebra but was wondering if you need to get teachers guides or solution manuals with that  textbook? Does anyone have experience using these textbooks that can give me some input as to whether there is much benefit in purchasing any of the additional guides or manuals offered? 

The Lial books have good explanations and excellent solution manuals.  You can get both the textbooks and solution manuals used fairly cheaply.

I would get the instructor's solution manual because it will have solutions for all of the problems, not just the even or odd (the book has answers for the odds only).

• Like 1

The Lial books have good explanations and excellent solution manuals.  You can get both the textbooks and solution manuals used fairly cheaply.

I would get the instructor's solution manual because it will have solutions for all of the problems, not just the even or odd (the book has answers for the odds only).

Thanks for the information I was wondering does the Lial's solutions manual workout the problems or does it just give the answers? 

Edited by mrshomework

Thanks for the information I was wondering does the Lial's solutions manual workout the problems or does it just give the answers? 

They show the working for each problem.  They're easy to follow and easy to look at.  The best solution manuals that I've come across in 13 years of homeschooling.