Menu

Kid with a lot of headaches

Wilma

Nausea and light problems are classic migraine, which negates just about nothing in this post--it still could be food, chiropractic issue, etc.

The good news about migraines is that sometimes you get a warning sign--visual disturbances (many kinds), strange smells, etc. that come before the headache. You might google what other warning signs come. Anyway, if you catch migraines in that warning stage, you can often keep them to a manageable level. Ask your doctor about what to take and how much to take--we use ibuprofen here, and a little caffeine if that doesn't help. You just want to make sure you aren't undermedicating perpetually because that can cause analgesic rebound headaches. 

If the ibuprofen works, don't leave home without it. :-) 

Tea fixed the headache this morning!  And my hangup was exactly what you said -- I imagined a Coke when people suggested caffeine and thought it couldn't possibly be the right thing.  But a nice cup of chai, that I can do.

I'll try the food journal.  Do you think a month would be long enough?  I think I could do almost anything for a month.

And thank you.

I would start the journal today. Keep going with it until you see trends/triggers. It might be only a week and you learn she needs glasses, shouldn't do a ton of milk, and that caffeine and ibuprofen together fix any headaches. (Or whatever it is that is triggering the headaches.)  The journal is purely a tool for you to use! 

I'm glad a bit of chai helped. It's really wonderful to have some tools to help the situation.

I've never understood why weather affects migraines so much either.  Maybe someone else here knows why!

It's said that it's barometric pressure, which falls just before a storm (Personally I think it's some other factor, because I've carefully watched the barometer up to 48 hours before a predicted large storm when we lived in Oklahoma and my headache started before the pressure changes). About the same time the flies start biting and the cottonwood leaves turn over, my head starts. Regardless of the reason, getting a headache just before a storm is well documented world wide.  It's thought to convey an evolutionary advantage- first of all, if you don't feel good before a storm and get a strong desire to go back to your safe and warm cave, you're much more likely to live through lightening, falling branches, and flash floods than someone who doesn't have a need to go home.

Secondly, several headache types coincide strongly with sleep issues.  If you are a very light sleeper you are much more likely to survive a variety of situations, like war.

I would have kiddo get thoroughly checked, including allergy tests and, if you can possibly afford it, imaging like CT and MRI with & without contrast.  Mostly for peace of mind that it truly is benign and isn't something more serious.

Then, I agree, caffeine and any over the counter pain reliever combined, at the very first sign of a headache.

I think the kid is adequately hydrated.  Plenty of water, anyway.  And not ridiculous on the sugar by any stretch.  Currently 0 sugar besides what naturally occurs in food.

Do you know whether the thyroid stuff would be checked as a matter of course?  We're going to the doc tomorrow and I'll ask to have her vitamins and minerals and whatnot checked - would that be included?

thyroid is NOT typically checked, not even for adults with a laundry list of hypo symptoms.

the tests you *want* are:

free t3

free t4

reverse t3

and, vitamin d, iron

the only test western medicine will normally run (even too many endocrinologists) is tsh (thyroid stimulating hormone.  it's not a thyroid hormone, it's the pituitary telling the thyroid how much to make.).  

and what optimal numbers look like . . . http://hypothyroidmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Dr.-Borenstein-optimal-TSH-Free-T4-Free-T3.jpg

I think the journal is a real need, it will tell you and the doctors a LOT. But do schedule an appt with a pediatric neurologist if these head aches are happening enough to effect daily life. That's who treats headaches/migraines/etc, a neurologist. Doesn't mean it is something scary like a brain tumor, the chances of that are tiny, BUT...that should be ruled out, and the neurologist will have the best ideas for treatment for regular old headaches.