Menu

Philosophy course for senior

DS has expressed an interest in studying philosophy as an elective in his senior year. Does anybody have recommendations for a spine or other resources? He is planning to read original literature, but it would be helpful to have some kind of guide, overview or structure.

Thanks!

Running out the door but will respond later with what my dh, who is a philosophy and religious studies professor, plans to do with my ds this year.  Ds is a senior as well.  

ETA:  He's only planning to focus on philosophy with ds and will be pulling from his Intro to Philosophy college course.

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

The spine that he uses when he uses a spine is The Power of Ideas by Moore and Bruder.  Dh said, "This spine is useful as it includes primary texts embedded in the author's secondary description.  If it were a year-long course, I would employ more of the text and spread the readings out and assign a number of short response papers reflecting on specific philosophical themes/problems."

Every few years he changes it up by using only primary texts, but said he keeps coming back to this text.  

I'd be happy to send you the course syllabus if you'd like to see it.  

• Like 1

Here are two websites with some resources, but esp. lists of types of units/material to cover in a philosophy course:

Learn NC: Philosophy resources for educators

- Squire Family Foundation: units (logic & philosophical methods; ethics/applied ethics; metaphysics of free will / personal identity; epistemology; philosophy of mind / religion / science; political philosophy; aesthetics)

Plato (Philosophy Learning And Teaching Organization): Teaching High School Philosophy

- Philosophy 12: an open online high school Philosophy course -- register as a participantunits of study (intro; logic & scientific philosophy; metaphysics; epistemology; ethics; aesthetics; social & political philosophy) 

VERY helpful -- syllabi from high school courses:

- NUVHS (Nat'l University Virtual High School): Introduction to Philosophy syllabus -- very detailed

- Mr. Keck, Aquinas High School: Philosophy syllabus -- very detailed

Mr. Raisch, Centerville K12: Honors Philosophy Course

• Like 4