Menu

Kinesiology?

regentrude

I have a niece who finished a BS in Kinesiology at University of Illinois Chicago (would't that be convenient for you?) a year ago.  She is now in a master's program in exercise physiology at Benedictine University in Lisle, IL.  She talked to me about her summer work with elderly patients in a cardiac hospital unit, I think.  I was so impressed.  I can ask about about program recommendations.  Anything else?

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

My sister got her B.S. in Kinesiology from Univ. MD and along with personal training certifications and worked managed a Naval base gym for several years -- she got really lucky with that job. She's currently working on her PhD. as a Physical Therapist and will complete it next year. 

I'm not sure if you want to go out of the US, but my university in Nova Scotia had a good kineseology program - Dalhousie UNiverity.  Some of the students I knew in it went into physio, medicine (especially sports medicine), working with seniors, phys ed teaching, or one person I knew went into work with animals. I don't know much about the program beyond that, other than they do work at times with the medical school at the university, but it's a nice atmosphere for university students in the city overall, though that particular university is quite large there are also several smaller ones and lots of great student cultural life. 

Thanks all.

DS is interested in athletic training and exercise science and wants to learn about the physiology and psychology related to sports. He plans a career as an active athlete and later wants to coach or operate his own facility. At present, he is not interested in any medical professions.

If you have more recommendations, please keep them coming. His ACT score is in the 90th+ percentile, but not in the 99th, so no highly selective schools. I have googled but was not able to find a ranking or list of schools with such programs; can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Sports medicine is definitely a sub-specialty within general kinesiology studies.  I have several friends who studied sports medicine at university, and one now teaches the same subject at a university level.

University of Michigan at Ann Arbor would be one of my top picks. They require a number of business courses (such as finance in order to show you how to run your own gym) in their School of Kinesiology.  The athletic training program within University of Texas at Austin's Kinesiology and Health Ed school is pretty good as well.

If neuromechanics or applied physiology was of particular interest and he wanted to stay fairly local, I'd recommend the University of Kansas. 

my sister went to a graduate program at Ohio-Miami but it was focused on yoga/mind connection vs exercise science.  I would research any department to be sure your child's interest lines up with the professors interests.... I think this is one major that could vary widely by location in what the focus is being taught

Thanks all.

DS is interested in athletic training and exercise science and wants to learn about the physiology and psychology related to sports. He plans a career as an active athlete and later wants to coach or operate his own facility. At present, he is not interested in any medical professions.

If you have more recommendations, please keep them coming. His ACT score is in the 90th+ percentile, but not in the 99th, so no highly selective schools. I have googled but was not able to find a ranking or list of schools with such programs; can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I don't know anything about specific programs. However, my cousin, Ben Dragavon has a career very similar to what you have described.

http://www.si.com/edge/2016/02/24/hope-solo-workout-uswnt-seattle-reign-training

Best of luck to your ds!

UCF - University of Central Florida in Orlando has the College of Education and Human Performance which offers two tracks in the Sport and Exercise Science Program. They have a Coaching track and they have the Human Performance track. Both tracks have required and elective Kinesiology courses. The college ranked number six in the nation for exercise science.

This is their website. Highly recommended.

http://education.ucf.edu/sportexscience/