Menu

Captain Fantastic, anyone? (spoiler content not guaranteed)

TrixieB

Dh and I saw it today.  He describes it as an idealized version of "The Wolfpack" where the dad has superhuman abilities to teach his kids.  He thought it was cartoonish.  I thought it didn't entirely hold together, and I feel ambivalent about the movie.  Some parts were too close to things in my life.

On the plus side, some of the kids were super, quite believable.

I'm curious to see what y'all think of the movie.

:bigear:

• 2 months later...

I finally saw it last night!!!

I loved it, but the ending didn't sit well with me at all.  

*******************************SPOILER WARNING*********************************************

......................................................................................................................

I thought it was fine that they found a way to keep simple and homesteading in "the real world", but WHY, oh why, put them in school?!?!  It made absolutely zero sense to me and kind of broke my heart.

Yeah, I had to suspend disbelief in some parts, but I have a thing for comic book movies, so I'm used to it, lol.

Edited by Carrie12345

Continued spoilers:

I thought it was fine that they found a way to keep simple and homesteading in "the real world", but WHY, oh why, put them in school?!?!  It made absolutely zero sense to me and kind of broke my heart.

I was thinking they could do a sequel with the oldest in Africa (or back from Africa), and dad realizing that the school system really wasn't working out for his kids, and all that. Of course, they'd need some more interesting twists than that for a sequel, but I'm sure they could come up with something. I don't think there will be a sequel though.

I loved it. It wasn't super plausible, and I really don't think the average family is going to get the same results just from living off the grid and reading a lot (see the Naugler family for an example of doing it really, really badly) but it was inspiring. I think the ending made sense in a way, given how incredibly isolated the children had been. It seemed like it was the children's choice to be more engaged with the outside world. And who knows, maybe he was sending them to a democratic school. :P

• Like 1

We loved it, too. So much to analyze! 

Did it remind any of you of The Glass Castle? I saw a lot of similarities. 

I didn't mind that the kids ended up going to school at the end. Actually, the part that bugged me was at the very end when the dad was giving his last advice to his son who was leaving. One of his instructions was to always tell the truth. I was like, wait, lying seems to be an extremely strong family value. 

I did find the dad's knowledge kind of super human. But like others have said, I don't watch movies for their realistic depictions of anything.

And male nudity is always funny.

Did it remind any of you of The Glass Castle? I saw a lot of similarities.

Have not read it. Apparently they're turning it into a movie (started filming in May). Based on the Wikipedia synopsis I probably wouldn't have really seen them as similar, but who knows?