Menu

Nice or overstepping boundaries?

Tap

Nice or too far?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Nice or overstepping boundaries? (multiple choices allowed)

• Nice people who went out of their way to return lost crafts :0)
    • Overstepping or at least boundary stretching,
    • I want a paper periscope!!
    • Other.....

<snip>

Okay I know these are my issues... I need to get more organized lol. I know where the check book is and I've asked dh to just handle payment himself when he's home or by having the guy come to his work or whatever they can agree on.

Aw, you do have some challenges in this regard that I don't have.  I have a reasonable expectation that I will not have to answer the door if someone comes up randomly.

But, I don't think that's your issue, I think it's your husband's.  You have a baby!  I'd be mad at my husband if he burdened me with those sorts of "errands."  (Not real errands, I know, but I couldn't think of a different word.)   Sending people over for stuff without any warning.  That's crazy. 

Can't the lawn guy send a bill so you can mail a check?    I've never had anyone ever come to my door for payment for anything.  Well, when I was a kid and the paperboy came to collect.  

And boy have we ever gotten off topic here. :-)

• Like 1

If waking a napping baby is a really big concern and people come to your door relatively frequently, you could hang a note on the door with "don't ring, baby nap time" or something on it during nap time.

When we were little my mom put a sign like this on our door. The very first afternoon the bell rang.

It was the neighbor kid. "What's that say?"

• Like 4

When we were little my mom put a sign like this on our door. The very first afternoon the bell rang.

It was the neighbor kid. "What's that say?"

Hahaha! That's how it would go here. We solved it by not having a doorbell at this house ;)

If waking a napping baby is a really big concern and people come to your door relatively frequently, you could hang a note on the door with "don't ring, baby nap time" or something on it during nap time.

It's just the principle behind it. I was using a napping baby as an example.

Aw, you do have some challenges in this regard that I don't have.  I have a reasonable expectation that I will not have to answer the door if someone comes up randomly.

But, I don't think that's your issue, I think it's your husband's.  You have a baby!  I'd be mad at my husband if he burdened me with those sorts of "errands."  (Not real errands, I know, but I couldn't think of a different word.)   Sending people over for stuff without any warning.  That's crazy. 

Can't the lawn guy send a bill so you can mail a check?    I've never had anyone ever come to my door for payment for anything.  Well, when I was a kid and the paperboy came to collect.  

And boy have we ever gotten off topic here. :-)

They drive me nuts lol. They have each other's numbers but rarely talk. My dh's idea of a heads up is when the person is a few minutes from my door LOL. I have tried to urge him to establish more boundaries and/or understand how anxious I get about unexpected drop bys so he doesn't put me in that position. Meanwhile I'm reading a book on boundaries so I can help establish my own ha.

• Like 1

When I hit the "Post" button, a tiny thought came that maybe I should not have posted my response and should've just deleted it or started a s/o post about VBS.  I was rushing to get out the door and maybe next time I will stop and listen to the small thought and not post. 

I think just about all of us have done that! I know I have, more than once. :o 

I really admire the graciousness with which you answered people's responses. 

If VBS is not your thing, let it go with no guilt!  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I voted overstepping. I find it incredibly rude to just show up at someone's house. The nice thing to do would have been to call and ask if you wanted the crafts dropped off

Yes and no. 

Where I come from it's extremely rude to show up for a visit without contacting and arranging first.  However, I don't think it's considered rude to drop something off for minute unannounced when you're in the area. It's a nice thing to do for a kid who might be sad about not having her crafts. If it's used as a ruse to stay for visit with people who don't want to visit then it's a bad thing. 

Also, everyone should keep in mind that no one is ever under obligation to answer their door if they don't want to and it doesn't matter why they don't want to. If someone rings my doorbell and it's not a good time for me to answer the door or I don't want to interact with someone, I don't answer it and I don't feel bad about it. Nothing has ever been so urgent for a doorbell ringer that I had to answer even if it wasn't convenient. No life, well being, property, or liberty has ever been at risk so far.  I don't expect that to change.

Nothing has ever been so urgent for a doorbell ringer that I had to answer even if it wasn't convenient. No life, well being, property, or liberty has ever been at risk so far.  I don't expect that to change.

And if it were to change, I suspect the person would knock (loudly), ring, yell "Help", etc, quite persistently, to clue you in that maybe you do want to open the door (or at least call 911).