Menu

Bible curriculum that gets done - Protestant

Hey everybody. Can you recommend a bible cirriculum that you like because it gets done, is age appropriate but not fluffy and superficial? I do NOT like curriculum that is full of cartoons, precious moments looking illustrations and silly crafts. Just down to business. 

I do not prefer to teach multiple ages simultaneously. It just doesn't work for my kiddos, so it's not really a concern whether I can use the same materials to combine ages or not. Thank you!

We are using and loving Long Story Short. Check out the samples. You use a full Bible in your preferred translation, and you read a passage and ask some questions (with desired answers). The beauty of it is how they pull some examples from modern life, but also how in one week, we might be in the Old Testament, some Psalms or Proverbs, and New Testament all seeing how they are connected and pointing to Jesus.

This is probably my favorite elementary bible curriculum I've ever tried. I'm currently giving AO's 6th grade lifepacs a try because they are an overview of the bible with lots of bible reading. They would be too much for your kids. 

https://www.positiveaction.org/school

We've used and like Positive Action also. Even though our theology is quite different than theirs according to their statement of faith, we've found their curricula to be nicely *straight* Bible without too much denominational interpretation.

(Although I think the 6th grade deals with Revelation and might be more problematic...)

There's nothing really strict about the grade levels; you could definitely combine ages within a few years of each other in the same course. Or you can pretty much have students do it independently too. It's not how they recommend, but it works.

• Like 1

What about simply doing a read through in a year plan?

We used CLE's Bible and I did like it. There were a few things that we didn't agree with since it is Mennonite, but I can't remember any of it specifically so it must not have been that big of a deal.I also really liked the Studying God's Word series by Christian Liberty Press. It has a Calvinist lean, but again, I can't recall anything major that we believed was contrary to scripture. One year, we simply went through the Westminster Shorter Catechism, once again just correcting where we felt there were errors. 

Oooh! I think I like the sword studies. There seems to be a big developmental leap between the first and second levels, do you find that to be the case?

We have loved Sword Studies. Each child studies the same book of the Bible,and memorizes the same verses, but works in a separate book on their own level. There is a "family meeting" once a week. It gets done here.

We have loved Sword Studies. Each child studies the same book of the Bible,and memorizes the same verses, but works in a separate book on their own level. There is a "family meeting" once a week. It gets done here.

Oh, these look very interesting. Samples are on the front page. 

Edited by ScoutTN

God's Great Covenant--can be done solo or with a parent. We've only had experience with the first OT book.

We use this curriculum, too and really like it. We will be finishing up the third book this fall (I think the books are meant to be finished in a year, but we take our time and a book takes us about a year and a half to do), which is the life of Christ. We really like it. It has Scripture reading, then "Story Time" which is basically the Scripture in story form, then a couple of worksheets and a quiz. The teachers book provides a lot of background information and commentary, so you'd want to get that, too.

Oooh! I think I like the sword studies. There seems to be a big developmental leap between the first and second levels, do you find that to be the case?

I haven't actually used the first level yet. Just the next 3.

One other thing I have loved is that the upper levels copy the entire book of the Bible, verse by verse, over the course of the study.

I haven't used it but i find the front page misleading. the lowest level is called Kindergarten edition and the second elementary edition. When you get to the store part. The kindergarten (explorer) edition is marked ages 4-7 and the elementary (inspector) as 7-10. My best guess is if your child can read at a fourth grade reading level go with the inspector. if they are a non or beginning reader go with the explorer.

I've been looking in to Grapevine Studies. You "stick figure" draw your way through the Bible. I've looked at some sample lessons and it seems like it'd be a good fit as a supplement for my girls. I haven't committed to anything yet. I'll definitely be following to get suggestions too!

• Like 1

I haven't used it but i find the front page misleading. the lowest level is called Kindergarten edition and the second elementary edition. When you get to the store part. The kindergarten (explorer) edition is marked ages 4-7 and the elementary (inspector) as 7-10. My best guess is if your child can read at a fourth grade reading level go with the inspector. if they are a non or beginning reader go with the explorer.

Yes, this is where I'm struggling. My 7 year old. That first level seems a little too basic, too pre-reader for her, but the second level is a lot of looking up and composing answers. She might not be ready for that. I suppose the 7 year old and the 10 year old could collaborate? If that doesn't go well, it wasn't really that expensive.

I'm trying to keep costs down. Not really willing to go over $100-150 per student total (all subjects). The only things I didn't have to buy this year are 2nd grade math. A few of the suggestions above look nice but are pricey!

I've been looking in to Grapevine Studies. You "stick figure" draw your way through the Bible. I've looked at some sample lessons and it seems like it'd be a good fit as a supplement for my girls. I haven't committed to anything yet. I'll definitely be following to get suggestions too!

We have used the Old Testament, Christmas, and Resurrection from Grapevine. They are really great IMO.

• Like 1

Yes, this is where I'm struggling. My 7 year old. That first level seems a little too basic, too pre-reader for her, but the second level is a lot of looking up and composing answers. She might not be ready for that. I suppose the 7 year old and the 10 year old could collaborate? If that doesn't go well, it wasn't really that expensive.

I'm trying to keep costs down. Not really willing to go over $100-150 per student total (all subjects). The only things I didn't have to buy this year are 2nd grade math. A few of the suggestions above look nice but are pricey!

I didn't order my 8 year old a book. I had him take part in the family meeting and memorize the verses.